Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Old 12-15-2005   #1
Eckoman
TopNotch

88 production figures wrong ?

I just received my PHS-documentation on my 88 Notchback. There was a sheet included which shows all the production figures from 1967 to 2002. And they are NOT matching with the GTA production figures here.

Frankie, do you have an explanation for that? Is PHS wrong on the figures?

[IMG=http://gehrs.info/bo/phs/DSC00089.JPG]
[IMG=http://gehrs.info/bo/phs/DSC00090.JPG]
[IMG=http://gehrs.info/bo/phs/DSC00091.JPG]

And this is my reproduced windows sticker

[IMG=http://gehrs.info/bo/phs/DSC00094.JPG]

'88 Trans Am GTA Notchback
- LB9 5.0l HO - MK6 5-speed - GM3 3.45 gears - CC1 T-Tops - U52 digital dash - 662 leather - UQ7 subwoofer -
Eckoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005   #2
Eckoman
TopNotch

Re: 88 production figures wrong ?

- LB9 5.0l HO - MK6 5-speed - GM3 3.45 gears - CC1 T-Tops - U52 digital dash - 662 leather - UQ7 subwoofer -
Old 12-16-2005   #3
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

I do not have the first sheet that is pictured, but I have the other two. This is interesting. Looks like I need to contact PHS and see if they have updated information.

All I can say about my website's figures is that I got them from a well-known Pontiac insider who took time for me on his own initiative to access GM's computers and extract the numbers for me for each year 1987-92. The stipulations attached were that I could not identify the individual, nor could make photocopies of the documents. I had access to the original documents for approximately two hours, and wrote down stuff furiously for that amount of time. I hope eventually one day to be able to take another look to double check stuff and make any additions that I may have missed the first time. Things over the years have come to light that I want to check out for myself.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #4
Eckoman
TopNotch

I have just read through the topic discussing the Notchback production figures, 624/718. So I think it might be the same case with these records. You only had the production #s for the US models whereas these copies show the total incl. Canadian and export models. Do you think this is a viable explanation?

Old 12-20-2005   #5
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Another interesting note from above is that the numbers that I had access to included the 1555 20th Anniversary Trans Ams in the GTA total, not the regular Trans Am production.

The Canadian numbers are posted on the website right along with the US numbers. In some years, the two figures added come close to the totals you show there, but as a rule.... I tend not to favor that as a viable explanation. Especially in the later years of the model.... there is no way, for example, that Pontiac sold nearly twice as many GTA in the export market than they sold here in the US.... at $26K a pop.

Right now I am working on something that has come up that may shed some light on this if it plays out like I think it might. It has to do with how the cars were equipped, option-wise.

I'll post more when I have more info.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005   #6
Eckoman
TopNotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieRider2
Right now I am working on something that has come up that may shed some light on this if it plays out like I think it might. It has to do with how the cars were equipped, option-wise.

I'll post more when I have more info.
Sounds interesting and promising. Let us know when you have more detailed info, I can't wait!

By the way: the pictures posted above obviously do NOT show all the sheets I got. Do you want them all? If so, please send a quick note to my email adress and I will mail you the pics back: eckoman@gmx.net