Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 05-02-2006   #1
Hoonbash

Help Me Please Wheels? Chip Burners?

Hi Everyone
I'm a newbie here from Alberta,Canada and have a 87 GTA
I'm tired of the rough ride so I'd like to switch to a 15" rim and a tire with more sidewall,will a 15" rim clear the front discs?Can anyone tell me the off-sets for factory GTA rims?(Too lazy to take em off and measure)

Also looking for some recommendations for a chip-burner either from Canada or the U.S. to take advantage of the extensive engine mods I've done.

Hoonbash
Hoonbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #2
Gerry
Retired Network Janitor

Re: Wheels? Chip Burners?

Hoonbash,

If you are looking for a chip burner, I'll make an assumption you may be looking for a total solution ?

This is my opinion, others may disagree. The best editing software out there for our ECM's is TunerCat.

http://www.tunercat.com

TC at Tunercat lives just a little way from here and has graced us with visits to our Impala club meetings, and Dyno Days. His software is easy to use, affordable and TC will work with you to add features to it, or add cell locations for certain engine functions.

I use TC's OBD1 and OBD2 editing software for my LT1 vehicles.... its just fantastic.

As for chip burners, there are two I would consider. Xtronics parallel port driven Pocket Programmer II, and Craig Moates "Burn1" USB driven burner. The advantage of the Pocket Programmer is it will burn a TON of different EEPROMs, where the Burn1 is pretty much limited to automotive chips. I have both, I like the Burn1 when doing ECM chips since it gets its power from the USB port. The PPII uses a power brick.

If you REALLY want to go all out, you can purchase the Craig Moates 'AutoProm USB' which is an 'add on' to Tunercat's Real Time Tuner software. Basically plug in Craig's Autoprom to your ECM chip socket, and using TunerCat Real Time Tuner you can RUN your car real time from your laptop.... make adjustments on the fly while the car is running. There is NOTHING like using this software.... Craig just did one for LS1's and I'd LOVE to see him do one for the LT1....

Welcome to the forum and let me know if I can answer more chips questions. I am NOT a real talented 'tuner', I leave that for the guys at PCMFORLESS during our club Dyno Days. But I know my way around the software etc quite well, its pretty straight forward.

http://www.gmassie.net/l98gta

Last edited by Gerry; 05-02-2006 at 09:45 PM.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #3
Hoonbash

Thanks for the welcome Gerry and I like your car!!Didn't even know a convertible was made in those years and have never seen one,must be fairly rare.

I never considered burning my own chip,seems like a very daunting task and wouldn't even know where to start,plus my luck I'd lean it out too far and burn up a piston or two, I'm not very computer literate.I'm going to look deeper into all the information you provided,very interesting stuff and maybe I could learn how to program a chip

I'm hoping to find a talented tuner to whom I could send my engine combo to and they could burn one for me.A long time ago I had Performance Resources do one for me but that cost around $500.00 if memory serves correct,had to send it back a few times and was not impressed with the performance vs cost.

My Heavyweight

Old 05-03-2006   #4
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Sharp bird ya got there!!

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #5
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: Custom

lsracingchips.com, they tune my car and a few others from the board
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
MunsonGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #6
Hoonbash

Thanks Guys,just placed an order with lsracingchips.com
Old 05-08-2006   #7
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: Custom

you won't be disappointed, what is your real name hoonbash?
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
MunsonGTA is offline   Reply With Quote