Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 04-01-2003   #1
firehawk35

Unhappy AM I getting taken??? ( oil leak)

OK this is my problem.. I have developed a oil leak ( 88 GTA 5.7 ) somewhere @ the the top back of the motor ( I can watch it drip on the ground as it runs ) . I had it looked at and was told that the intake was leaking and it would cost $500 to fix it. By the way this was a AC Delco shop. I have checked the pcv and it seems to work, and don't think I really have that much blow by. My question is can the intake leak that much, or could it just be the oil pressure switch?? I would replace it all myself but don't have the time right now . Just looking for some feedback that may help me save a bundle.'
Thanks a bunch
firehawk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003   #2
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

If it was the oil pressure switch, then you'd see it coming out of the oil pressure switch area, also chances are, your oil pressure gauge would be acting up. Intake manifold gasket leaks are common on these cars. I had my car for a year and it develped that problem, only it was leaking both coolant and oil. Changing it isn't too bad, but it's a real hassle if you're doing it for the first time. But yeah, $500 seems pretty good for an intake manifold gasket change. I got quoted $850 at a Pontiac dealership to get the work done at which point I told them to f*** off and did it myself. A few days and about $80 later, problem solved... and I had a huge grin on my face after saving $720.

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003   #3
firehawk35

Thanks for the reply Fred.. I'm gonna look at it again tomm. Would the oil be comming from the top of the sending unit or the base or both...lol.. $850??? Ouch!!!!! I guess $500 isn't so bad after all. Well hopefully I get lucky and its just the switch ( keeping fingers crossed )
Thanks again