Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 10-12-2002   #1
MrNova
GTA Member

Is this a good deal?

I may buy some slightly used car parts, wondering if the deal is worth it. I have seen the parts and they are in fine condition, no noticible problems. Edelbrock High Flow TPI base, SLP runners, and stock plenum. All three parts are ported to match each other. Total price, about $350-380. Should I go for it? Base is almost brand new, runners and plenum are 2 years old. Also, may grab from the same guy some flow-tech shorty headers, 2 years old, slight heat wear for $25. I figure for $25 who cares
MrNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002   #2
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

I'd buy it... just make sure it fits your car and has the proper provisions for your car's particular year.

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002   #3
MrNova
GTA Member

My car's a 1988 5.7l. Will I have any problems?
Old 10-12-2002   #4
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

I believe that GM changed the TPI design in 1989. In '89, they deleted the Cold Start Valve, and I beleive that the plenum and intake manifold were slightly different. And of course in '90, they switched to Speed Denisty, where the MAP sensor is located on the plenum at a point on the pass. side that I haven't seen in early model GTAs. Ask the seller what year he bought the parts for, then see if you can compare your TPI to the TPI he is selling. Good luck.

Old 10-13-2002   #5
MrNova
GTA Member

I think his car was an 87 tpi so I should be fine then.
Old 10-13-2002   #6
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Oh ok, it should fit then. The only difference from the '87 L98 to the later L98s were that the '87s used multiple V-belts instead of a single serpentine belt. Doesn't affect the TPI at all...

Old 10-13-2002   #7
MrNova
GTA Member

I've also stumbled on another deal, summit 355 block and crower steel 400 crank made for 350. Block was machined for the crank and has splayed 4 bolt caps, both for about $400. If I took the block and crank, and swapped out my old 5.7 TPI's parts, would I have everything I need to be a functional 383? Or do more parts need to be aquired.
Old 10-14-2002   #8
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

You'll need custom pistons for the 355 block. You can't re-use your old pistons. The new pistons will need to be larger for the 4.030 inch overbore. Otherwise, you can re-use your old rods. Just make sure you get the entire rotating assembly balanced first. Also, have your existing rods checked for any flaws to determine if they should be re-used in the engine. Some cracks and inperfections can't be seen by the human eye. All the same, prepare for a lot of hidden expenses. That's why I'm putting off my 383 build-up until after I finish school. I'll just have to settle for swapping in upgraded Vortec heads and a new cam...