Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 04-18-2002   #1
alphajp1
GM Enthusiast

Oil Pressure

I am new to this site but have found that everyone is very helpful and thank you in advance. The probelm is that my oil pressure is down to zero. When I first start my 87 Trans am it will jump to 30 then as the car gets warmed up it slowly drops down to nothing, the pin doesn't move at all. The temp is not going up and there is no banging in the motor. The car seems to run fine but I am worried about driving it with no pressure. Any suggestion what could cause this? I don't think it is the pump but I will be working on this over the next couple of weekends and any help would be appricated.

Thanks again,

Jesse
alphajp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002   #2
REMOVED USER

WHOH there man!
before tearing that engine apart
I would suggest to check that oil gauge,lines and oilpressure feeler.
if you can get your hands on a pressure gauge other then the cars one hook it up and find out what that is reading.
I think something is wrong with this stuff because if your car would have no pressure at all annymore I swear you would know very fast!
BUT always keep in mind: I COULD ALWAYS BE WRONG SO CHECK IT ASAP!!!
Old 04-18-2002   #3
alphajp1
GM Enthusiast

Talking Oil Pressure

Thank you very much for the repley. I was under the same impress that if there was no oil pressure I would know right away as I was picking up my engine off the street I only take this car out on the weekends and when the oil was giving me problems I haven't taken it out since but I am moving and trying to get back to this car.
Again thank you,

Jesse
Old 04-18-2002   #4
IROC-T
Who was that masked man?

PRESSURE??

Mouse is right get a machanical gauge and check. How ever if the stock gauge needle drops to zero and does not move when reving the engine it is probably the sender unit . If and when you hook up a gauge and check you are ok as long as you have at least 3lbs. pressure at idle(this is the minimum)and hot and start looking for a good machanic. T.
IROC-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002   #5
alphajp1
GM Enthusiast

Pressure

Thanks for the input, I will check this out this weekend. I am trying to be a up and coming mech. With all of your guys help.

Thanks again,

Jesse