Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 03-07-2001   #1
REMOVED USER

I NEED HELP

I know I have posted this before, but I am now getting to the point that Im ready to place a bomb in the car, just kidding. I have had this problem since I bought the vehicle in Sept. of 2000. It runs great when its cold. When the engine reaches normal operating temp. is when the problem rears its ugly head. The car becomes sluggish, sometimes when I first press the accelarator it hesitates like its not getting fuel then it takes off, also, I dont know if this is related, but I can physically hear my fuel pump running even with a half a tank of gas, when the car shuts off a high pitch whine can be heard in the rear near the fuel tank. I have checked the fuel pressure, it read 37 psi at idle. I just did a complete tune-up, what a *****, replaced wires, plugs, rotor and cap. I pulled the ecm codes and it read normal (12). I love these cars, and have always wanted one, finally my wife broke down and let me buy one. It is a 1988 with the 5.7, with 73,000 miles. If anyone can help me I would be eternally greatful. I figured I could turn to my fellow GTA brothers.

Thanks
Robert Hill
Old 03-07-2001   #2
REMOVED USER

Re: I NEED HELP

HEY IM NOT TO SURE I HAVE THE ANSWERS...BUT EXACTLY WHAT TEMP RANGE R U RUNNING AT...IF IT IS TOO HOTT IT'S NOT GOOD... GIVE ME SOME MORE EXAMPLES OF THE PROBLEM AND MAYBE WE CAN COME UP WITH SOMETHING FOR U...DAVID
Old 03-07-2001   #3
REMOVED USER

help

If you haven't checked out www.Thirdgen.org you need to. Hope Frankie doesn't mind the plug for them but with over 5,000 members, I'm sure you'll get an answer very soon.
James Spear
Old 03-09-2001   #4
REMOVED USER

88 GTA

This might be a stretch for you to try But if you were like me and my 89 GTA you would try anything. My car was running really good one minute then running like crap the next. Sometimes it felt like the gas pedal wasn't connected at all. My idle would fluctuate up and down and sometimes while driving it would just excelerate wildly. I even fried the computer board($500.00) that controls the key security system. Which I thought was the problem because that also controls the fuel pump etc. After replacing this the car ran great for a couple of thousand miles and then all the symptoms started to reappear. If you look under you're hood against the firewall right behind you're transmission stick you will notice a red wire coming out of a thick plastic tube with other wires in it. This wire has a grey connector on it with the red wire running from it into another tube. This is the power wire to or from you're ecm(I'm not a mechanic so excuse the laymans terms). Anyway check this connector for any signs of corrosion or melting(mine melted)If there is any you are getting surges to you're control module(I don't even no wich one) or ECM. When you're engine compartment heats up it could be causing this connector to screw up. I replaced mine with a fusible link from autozone and the car has been running great ever since. Longshot but I hope it might help you. Let me know. blackbird@sedona.net
Old 03-15-2001   #5
REMOVED USER

Re: 88 GTA

YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK THE MODULE IN THE DISTIBUTOR THAT IS A COMMON PROBLEM WITH GM"S WHEN THEY GET WARM YOU NOTICE IT .
THE WAY I KNOW THIS IS THAT I HAVE HAD TO FIX THIS ON ACOUPLE OF MY CARS INCLUDING MY GTA AND IF IT CONTINUES TO BURN MODULES THE REPLACE THE PICKUP COIL BECAUSE IF THAT IS BAD IT RUINS THE MODULE!