Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 07-26-2018   #21
Hoonbash

Re: 87 GTA with code 33

Back from the dead.

I put the car away in storage and would always start it a couple of times a year,this year it wouldnt start.Loaded it up on a flat-bed for the ride home and put in a new fuel pump,ran but had that code 33 problem.

Having a bit of time off work started in again following the chart,it wasnt getting any voltage on terminal C ,so traced that wire back to the firewall and into the ECM,never found a wire break.

I applied 12 volts to the wire,disconnected from ECM of course,to be sure i had the right wire,I did.Upon further review the terminal C wire was in the wrong location on the connector.Re-pinned it back to the proper connector,plugged back into the ECM and got voltage.All-right some progress

Unhooked battery power to clear codes and then fired it up...code 33....S.O.B.Swapped out the fairly new MAF to my OLD gutted MAF and it now runs with NO CODES.What a relief and this puts a new interest the car.

At present having a new headliner applied..them molding retainer clips on the roofline trim are asswholes...,upgrading new rad and fans,working with Scott Hansen http://www.scotthansen.net/index.html on fine tuning chip(great guy ) when the car gets back on the road
Learned how to data log with Tuner Pro and just now been reading a LOT about chip burning but probably wont mess with it yet,my 54 year old brain might pop.

I wonder if the green wire that was pinned wrong was related to the monkeying around for the Speed Density swap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MAF_code_33_pg1.JPG (74.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg MAF_code_33_pg2.JPG (35.0 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Hoonbash; 07-26-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Hoonbash is offline   Reply With Quote