Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA CLASSIFIEDS > GTA PARTS WANTED

GTA PARTS WANTED Looking for just the right part(s) out there to restore your GTA to its former glory? Whatever you need to find.... post your listing HERE!

Old 08-05-2010   #1
Illusionist
Jr

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
My story, looking for many parts.

New to the forums here, and new to having a GTA.

I am a 25 year old male (be 26 August 15th). I just purchased my first ever GTA this morning it's an 87. The car runs great, a little over heating and all that jazz, but nothing I can't handle. I am new to the GTA scene, but I have loved the car since I was a child, I love the way the body looks and I love the inside. It's an amazing car, well from the ride home and to my buddies house to show it off that is.

Now down to the big deal. I am not happy with the way the inside is looking at the moment, seats have holes and such, and all that jazz, just a little too dirty for my taste. I know it's going to take some time and money, but I want to restore the car to it's prime.

So I am looking for the following. Dash (digital), Door panels, Front and back seats, seat belts, seat belt accessories Pretty much anything that is covered on the inside of the car, I want replaced, that includes the center console and the upper console that is above your head. I even want the things that are under the door upon closing it (not sure what they are called).

This also includes head lamps, rear lamps. If you have it tucked away, I would like to buy it.

If anyone knows a site where I can order such parts (as I have looked for two days prier to buying this car) that would be amazing..Here are some pictures of the condition it is in now.

Last edited by Illusionist; 08-05-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Illusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010   #2
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

GTA Year: 1988
Re: My story, looking for many parts.

From what I see in the photos your interior doesn't look bad at all. I don't know why you want to replace all of these things, most of them you can fix up yourself. You can take out the center console re glue the sides together and re die it if it needs it. The carpet doesn't look bad at all, nothing a steam clean wont handle. It does look like you need to replace a few of the switches because the writing is worn off. Use some paint thinner or something on the kick panels to get the rest of that glue off. Buy some plastic polish to use on the digital gauge cluster, and replace the light bulbs behind the screens if it needs it. (It is easy to take it apart if you need help I have learned my way around these digital dashes, I have a spare sitting in my closet right now) Wipe it down with meguires gold class and is should look 500x better. I say this because most of the parts you listed are very hard to come by in better condition than is whats in your car already. And if you find them they are going to be $300+ parts. I spent a month looking just for a digital dash that wasn't over $200 and I only needed one screen off it. www.hawksthirdgenparts.com has the switches, seat covers, dash pad, console lid and seat belt thing you need. OH and I highly recommend those Mr. Clean magic erasers for cleaning ANYTHING off of our interiors. All those black marks on your door panels and sil panels (the things under the doors) from shoes would come off in about 30 seconds of scrubbing.. good luck!

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK

Last edited by BigBadGTA; 08-06-2010 at 03:13 AM.
BigBadGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010   #3
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

I was going to say too that the headlights and tail lights are easy to do yourself too. You tails just look like they need a good buffing. Just replace your headlamps with sylvania silverstar units from the parts store. If your headlamp motors are not functioning properly anymore hawks also has a rebuild kit for them and its not hard to do yourself at all. I did both of mine myself. once again GTA tail lamp lenses are not cheap youll be looking at $2-300 a pair for mint condition ones. Headlamp motor assemblies go for $100+ a piece on ebay and chances are they will need to be rebuilt anyways!

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 08-06-2010   #4
mr.turbota
Trans Am collector

Looks like a nice car.
I am up in Kingman, Arizona, so if you are ever up this way, I do have lots of parts.
Being that you have cloth seats, that should be a somewhat easy fix.
One thing alot of people do, is to trade out the front and back seats, with those from a fourth gen.
I would suggust a fourth gen Firebird, as the fourth gen Camaro seats looks cheap.

Just a thought,

George

Go for the top of the food chain, and run wild!

1989 20th Anniv. Turbo Trans Am #231 (autographed by Emerson Fittapaldi in gold, winner of the 1989 Indy 500, on my dash panel glove pocket)

Featured in:

Books:
Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 1969-1999 Photo Album
Pontiac Firebird 1967-2000 Photo History
Firebird Trans Am by David Newhardt

Magazines:
Smoke Signals Sept 1993
Car Craft March 2000
mr.turbota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010   #5
Illusionist
Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadGTA View Post
From what I see in the photos your interior doesn't look bad at all. I don't know why you want to replace all of these things, most of them you can fix up yourself. You can take out the center console re glue the sides together and re die it if it needs it. The carpet doesn't look bad at all, nothing a steam clean wont handle. It does look like you need to replace a few of the switches because the writing is worn off. Use some paint thinner or something on the kick panels to get the rest of that glue off. Buy some plastic polish to use on the digital gauge cluster, and replace the light bulbs behind the screens if it needs it. (It is easy to take it apart if you need help I have learned my way around these digital dashes, I have a spare sitting in my closet right now) Wipe it down with meguires gold class and is should look 500x better. I say this because most of the parts you listed are very hard to come by in better condition than is whats in your car already. And if you find them they are going to be $300+ parts. I spent a month looking just for a digital dash that wasn't over $200 and I only needed one screen off it. www.hawksthirdgenparts.com has the switches, seat covers, dash pad, console lid and seat belt thing you need. OH and I highly recommend those Mr. Clean magic erasers for cleaning ANYTHING off of our interiors. All those black marks on your door panels and sil panels (the things under the doors) from shoes would come off in about 30 seconds of scrubbing.. good luck!
So it's really this easy to get everything looking back to top shape?

Now could I even re dye my door panels and all that, along with the center console? I mean, I see no cracks in any of the consoles or even the door panels.
Old 08-06-2010   #6
merc3065

for the digital dash, don't replace, just be real careful, remove it and clean it. The screens are fragile thin glass, but they clean up real easy.
Old 08-06-2010   #7
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

Yeah, its very easy to do most of this stuff yourself. If any of your plastics are faded just re paint them with interior paint. If you go on hawks third gen it even says on their site, they just take old center consoles, re glue and redye them and sell them. You cannot buy them new anymore. So why not do it all yourself?

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 08-06-2010   #8
Illusionist
Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadGTA View Post
Yeah, its very easy to do most of this stuff yourself. If any of your plastics are faded just re paint them with interior paint. If you go on hawks third gen it even says on their site, they just take old center consoles, re glue and redye them and sell them. You cannot buy them new anymore. So why not do it all yourself?
Yeah, I just got done going through their site, so it seems like it won't cost too much to get this car back to it's prime, just some real nice care is all it's going to need, I think the most expensive part is going to be paint, tires, and have the seats redone.
Old 08-06-2010   #9
Illusionist
Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc3065 View Post
for the digital dash, don't replace, just be real careful, remove it and clean it. The screens are fragile thin glass, but they clean up real easy.
Alright, again, I am not very good with cars..Tech wise, but my father in law, builds and restores old cars, show it shouldn't be too difficult to get this going..

Here I come GTA!!
Old 08-07-2010   #10
Steveh4263
1987 Pontiac Trans AM GTA

Looks like great car. Just needs some TLC. Try do some cleaning up of the interior and maybe it won't looks so bad. Looks like the drivers seat needs some help. That's cool you have someone in your family that restores cars.