Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 11-05-2012   #1
WickdEye
WickdEye

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Question Can a GTA be considered a GTA if....

What do guys think bout GTA owners swaping out the orig 5.7 350 TPI Engine(L98) for a LS1?? Would you consider it a Trans Am GTA still??? Technically its not a GTA without the orig engine. Or think of this, at the track yesterday night it was GTA Wars BUT GTAs with a LS1 and 4L60 Tranny were not qualified which I agree with but thats my opinion and my GTA still has her orig L98 and 700R4. Dont get me wrong I love the LS1!

1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Simon
5.7 V8 350 TPI
Auto 700R4
9 Bolt Borg Warner
Royal Purple Oils ONLY!!
WickdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012   #2
SeanO23

Re: Can a GTA be considered a GTA if....

I think if you put an LS1 in a honda civic, it is still a honda civic, but if you put a 1.6 litre Vtech in a Trans am it would no longer be a Trans Am. So putting an LS1 in a GTA wouldn't strip it of that title, but I also wouldn't be fair to compete against original L98s.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Seans-...14128911992060
SeanO23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012   #3
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

It is my opinion that the car will still be considered a GTA, but just not with the original engine that it was assembled at the GM factory with.

Yumiko
Old 11-06-2012   #4
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: Custom

I would still consider it a GTA. The engine and tranny don't make a GTA a GTA. If anything, that's the least part of the car I would be worried about. As far as letting the ls1 swap cars compete, if it's bracket racing with a dial... let em race to.
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
MunsonGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #5
GTA50

Two questions to pose:

1) What then makes a GTA a GTA? (Y84 not withstanding as you will see that lists a number of specifics).

2) If you replaced your brain, heart and lungs with cybernetic devices, are you still human?
GTA50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #6
SeanO23

1) wheels, badges, Van Halen Cassettes in your tape deck.

2)You would still appear human to general observers.

Old 11-07-2012   #7
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

Of course it would still be a GTA, just with an upgraded engine. An engine swap doesn't change what a car "is", IMO.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #8
BadAzzGta89
Project Bad Azz on the way!!!

Still A GTA ;-)

"Gran Turismo Americano"

BadAzzGta89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #9
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA50 View Post
Two questions to pose:

1) What then makes a GTA a GTA? (Y84 not withstanding as you will see that lists a number of specifics).

2) If you replaced your brain, heart and lungs with cybernetic devices, are you still human?
What makes a GTA a GTA is the GTA only items. To me it's the appearance, the badges, and the "attitude" of the car. The L98 and 700r4 came in tons of different fbody cars. So to me that has nothing to do with a GTA.
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
MunsonGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012   #10
prokilllsx

seriously??? Come drive mine and then tell me what you think.
prokilllsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012   #11
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

let me ask a question back to you.
would a 1957 Chevy bel air still be a bel air with a 350 since it came with a 283???
it would be just not worth as much in market. ask me how I know. lol
Old 11-23-2012   #12
merc3065

How do you know 1badGTA Should be a good story *wince*

Now, if the car is something you don't plan on selling, it shouldn't matter what it's worth or what the resale value is and in turn, you shouldn't worry about what you're doing to it. Is value such an important factor to owning one of these classic cars? Does value and factory originality make a car what it is? The driver makes the car what it is in my opinion.

Is value of a car such a status symbol? ie: look at me! I am worth a lot because I have a really old car that is worth lots of money so I must be awesome and cool! I've met corvette owners who are like this and are real toolbags...I've also met corvette owners who are the complete opposite and could care less about the value of their car, they love to drive the piss out of it.

I have the attitude where when I read the extreme purism that is in some commentaries that they are just tooting their own horn about the value of the car and that they are able to live vicariously through the value of the car. It means something so important to them that their car is worth 1 billion dollars!

Is a 2013 Camaro ZL1 a Camaro ZL1 if it has a supercharger in it? Is it worth more? Is it worth less? Is a factory car worth more than a modified car?

When you are talking specifically about resale value and collectability and how collector's are very nitpicky about their toys, then yes, having a numbers matching flawless car is going to get the best value. But if it's your car, and there's no foreseeable resale in your future, go nuts!

In the end, the frame is still a GTA, the fascia is still a GTA. Regardless of what modifications happen under the skin, it's still going to be a GTA one way or another. Whether it be a factory GTA, or a modified GTA. Still a GTA
Old 11-23-2012   #13
Fourthkid

Actually the frame says F-body...a Firebird or Camaro. A GTA is specific...if to change the components to what is not available on that car for specifc year then it is technically not that car. Go through the tech line of a major car show and see what they tell you.
Fourthkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012   #14
SeanO23

All i know is if I dropped an LS1 in my GTA my insurance would go back to $2000 a year instead of $400.

Old 11-23-2012   #15
merc3065

I'd still be paying $120 bucks a year for insurance on my GTA regardless of it having an LS1 or L98 in it...

Still an F-Body.

Would my trans am that had all the same options as a GTA minus the badging have been allowed in that GTA shootout?
Old 11-23-2012   #16
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanO23 View Post
All i know is if I dropped an LS1 in my GTA my insurance would go back to $2000 a year instead of $400.
So how does your insurance know that you would put in the other engine?

The GTA is still a GTA, just not with the original engine, or whatever you have changed.

Yumiko
Old 11-23-2012   #17
prokilllsx

I thought insurance rates were based on serial numbers which will indicate for the insurance company which engine is in it and what model it is. I can't imagine a reason to call my insurance agent, who already knows the car came with a V8 and say "Hey Leslie, did you know the GTA has a newer V8 in it now and instead of 235 horsepower it's now 535? Would you mind charging me a little extra?" As far as differences in value that's what appraisals are for.
prokilllsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012   #18
merc3065

If you read your insurance, I'm sure you'll find some clauses in there for things like horsepower modifying equipment. Insurance companies will only insure for road use, vehicles that are unmodified. You need a different plan or company that covers your "modified" vehicle for use on the road. If you modify the car and do not inform your insurance company, they can null and void your insurance and you could be charged for insurance fraud. If the vehicle is not insured for race use, the insurance company can void your policy and charge you for insurance fraud. Pretty sure there's a clause in there too that indicates no racing or sporting activities with the car. That's why some insurance companies charge an arm and a leg for insuring modified vehicles as daily drivers as well as racing/sporting events with it.

Insurance rates are based on engine size, horsepower, governmental safety reports, accident reports, driver's age, driver's age on accident reports with that model of car, replacement value of the car, driving record. There are a ton more factors they use to determine your insurance rate as well.

It's all in the risk that you as an owner of a vehicle choose to take when you get your vehicle insured.
Old 11-24-2012   #19
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc3065 View Post
How do you know 1badGTA Should be a good story
I had a 70k mile 1957 Chevy with original 283. It was 4door post. I know someone who bought a 57 4door hard top. much more desirable body but had 350. we both sold our cars the same year I got much more for my car due originality (receipts mileage proof etc) but his body was just as nice but more miles and 350. non original. this was back in early 90s.. it's your car always but when it comes to resale the stock costs less to keep. and more to recieve. if you get more for a modded car you put way too much in it and will never get it back. but it still is the same car. just devalued
Old 11-27-2012   #20
Ima Nass

I can't believe the question. Could someone really believe that if you replace or upgrade a GTA's drivetrain, it is no longer a GTA?
If a Cobra owner fits his car with a bigger badder motor, does it cease to be a Cobra? I'll tell you this, what Prokilllsx has done with my old GTA is amazing. When I bought that car with the L98 in 1990, I raced it for about five years. It had no problem beating the 5.0 Mustangs of the day as it usually ran 14.60s with a best of 14.37 stock. It had plenty of dragstrip and street cred. Only the turbo or modified cars were faster. My son bought the car last year and turned it into a beautiful raging beast that humbles almost any new muscle that you can buy. I can appreciate the low-mile trailer or garage queens, but there ain't nothin like taking your GTA to the dragstrip and showing her tail lights to the best of modern Detroit iron! 11.22 at 121mph. Don't even try that with your L98, those days are gone. Yeah, it's still a GTA, just a damned fast and beautiful one that has done the GTA moniker justice once again.
Ima Nass is offline   Reply With Quote