Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 08-24-2004   #1
bulosch

Istalling Auto. Antenna on 87

My antenna is stuck with about 6-8" showing & dosnt work at all so I bought a whole new set-up & am wondering if any body can give me the directions on how to go about installing ?... I am thinking I have to get to this by removing or pulling back the inner fender ?.... ( I hope so ) & than what ?............. anyone do this before & can help me, Thank you for your time,..................Buddy
" Car is a 87 GTA !
bulosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004   #2
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Re: Istalling Auto. Antenna on 87

Hello there,

I have done this one on my 1987 GTA two time already. My way may be a lot of work but, it seem to work best for me this way. I first put passenger side of car on jack stand and remove tire. After that, I remove the plastic wheel well lining. After I remove this stuff, there is a lot of room to work with the removing old and replacing new antenna. You will see that there is not that much room if you leave tire on while you doing it. Next thing you should do if you not done it yet is remove the part that sticking out of the top of fender. This is basically a nut sort of thing, it screws down onto the antenna assembly from the outside top of fender. After that one is remove, you can then remove the antenna assembly from inside the fender. There are two bolt that hold the antenna wire into assembly tube, you can unbolt that and just bolt the old wire into new assembly, or, remove the entire wire to, but that is so much work because then you need to disconnect it from stereo and route new wire where old one is. Big hassle. It best to just use old wire and connect to new antenna assembly - unless old wire is not good also. The new antenna assembly I hope is a new or use GM equipment because first time I do it, I try to use one from Kragen Auto and it seems not to work so well. Good luck. Yumiko
Old 08-24-2004   #3
bulosch

I thank you for the directions on how you did your antenna & it all sounds right to me , they didnt have a orginal GM replacement & I am not sure what I have but will look tomorrow when I hit the Garage to see the make & hope it isnt the one you had as prob with, again, Thanks for the directions & help,..................Buddy
Old 08-26-2004   #4
gtayumiko
GTA Member

The reason the Kragen one did not work out too well was because at the time I was doing this replacement, I did not know hardly anything about this GTA. This was in early part of year 1995. The one I purchase from Kragen, the wire connects into antenna assembly differently than the one does in the GM factory one. I only wanted to change the assembly and not the wire. So I wanted to unplug the factory wire from the original one and then install the Kragen one and just plug the original wire into the new one. But that was not a possibility because the Kragen one I purchase was a perminent wire and could not be disconnect. Plus another difference was the length of Kragen assembly is different in length and in order to properly connect assembly at the bottom to the car as the original one was, it may take some fabrication of the bottom bracket. I did not know anything about this stuff in that year. If you do not properly connect the bottom of the antenna assembly to the bracket, when antenna is in up position it will act like it is loose and move around, because the only place it is connected is where it come up out of fender. So that is why I found it easier just to go to wrecking yard and get factory working one from another Trans Am. I was able to disconnect wire from used one, and plug it directly into my original antenna wire - I did not know how to take apart my GTA interior to get to the factory antenna and that is one big reason why I wanted to do it this way. Anyway, you probably will have no problems with your work. I just wanted to tell you why the Kragen one did not work for me. Yumiko
Old 08-26-2004   #5
bulosch

Yumiko
Thanks once again for the info on the antenna, the one I got is GM # 22048583 which is on the box along with ACDelco, assembled in Mexico other numbers on box is W69-118-B1 , 2204-8583--------ANTENNA/TUBE,E,.......................... this looks to me like it is either a GM or the one GM is using to replace the orginal, I didnt get to replacing it yet because of some other jobs I need to get done & hope to get on it next week,..................Buddy
Old 08-26-2004   #6
Red88GTA
GTA Member

I bought the power antenna rebuild kit from GM and installed it. Works great and cost something like $23 from the dealership. Sure it's a lot cheaper on gmpartsdirect.com. I presume this may be what you bought? I believe the part number was 22038195.. If your interested, I can pull out my receipts and look for it.

1988 Bright Red GTA, digital dash, Grey Cloth, L98
Red88GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004   #7
bulosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red88GTA
I bought the power antenna rebuild kit from GM and installed it. Works great and cost something like $23 from the dealership. Sure it's a lot cheaper on gmpartsdirect.com. I presume this may be what you bought? I believe the part number was 22038195.. If your interested, I can pull out my receipts and look for it.
Thanks for the Info., If the one I got dosnt fit for some reason I will email you for your part # & see than if I can get the one you installed 7 will than know it will work,....Thank you,....Buddy
Old 08-27-2004   #8
Red88GTA
GTA Member

I have just confirmed that part number for the power antennae rebuild kit. It is the right one. Just remove the antenna from the GTA and go to your Kitchen table.. And get after it. Only thing you need is a drill to drill out rivets, 6 screws with locking nuts about 3/4" long to place those rivets, and have some clear silicone sealant to seal it back up

Pat

1988 Bright Red GTA, digital dash, Grey Cloth, L98
Red88GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004   #9
bulosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red88GTA
I have just confirmed that part number for the power antennae rebuild kit. It is the right one. Just remove the antenna from the GTA and go to your Kitchen table.. And get after it. Only thing you need is a drill to drill out rivets, 6 screws with locking nuts about 3/4" long to place those rivets, and have some clear silicone sealant to seal it back up

Pat
Sounds good, & thanks again, will let you know how it went as son as I get to it which should be next week,.......Buddy