Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 08-22-2000   #1
REMOVED USER

What is wrong with my 88 GTA? Please read and help

Please offer any help you can!!

Hi, I have a 1988 GTA with a problem. When I start the car and step on the gas to go, the car won't move for a few seconds, but then kicks in and goes. It doesn't happen all the time. It does it in both forward or reverse. It has been doing this for about 2 or 3 months. Also,when the car is started it kind of dies out but then comes back....sometimes it dies out completely and needs to be restarted. The car has been doing that for probably about 7 or 8 months. Are these two separate problems?

The GTA has 85000 miles on it (79000 when I bought it...bought in may 1999). I don't drive the car hard at all....just the mile to and from work and occasionally other places.

So what is wrong with my car? How much is this going to cost this poor 19 year old boy form new jersey (me)? I am not very knowledeable about cars so go easy. Thanks
Old 08-22-2000   #2
REMOVED USER

Re: What is wrong with my 88 GTA? Please read and help

Assuming the engine isn't dying out when you talk about it taking a few seconds for the car to engage and go, it may be a transmission problem. If the clutches in the tranny are worn, it can take several seconds for the servos inside the tranny to engage the clutches when you shift into gear. I had this problem with reverse on my old Trans Am (too many reverse shots, but I treat my 88GTA a lot better then I did my old TA)

The engine stalling and hesitation is another problem though, and it could even be the cause of your transmission not engaging properly, assuming the delay only occurs when you engine is acting up.
Old 08-22-2000   #3
REMOVED USER

Re: What is wrong with my 88 GTA? Please read and help

If I undersatnd you correctly I am getting that your RPM's drop way down when you hit the gas. I would check couple of things. First I would check your fuel filter to make sure there are no obstructions. Second, it could possibly be your fuel pump, but I don't know of any way to tell for sure without running a diagnostic ($50-$100 in most places). I had this prob with my old T\A and it went away when I changed the fuel pump. Anyway it sounds to me like there is some kind of prob with your fuel system. Good news is it probably won't be too expensive when you figure it out. Good luck sorting it out.
Old 08-23-2000   #4
REMOVED USER

Studder GTA

If you're expieriencing a loss of power it could be a couple things. I agree with the assumption that it could be the fuel pump/filter. It could also be a catalytic converter problem. Also if you haven't changed your plugs and wires, now may be a good time to do so. Hope this helps you out.

Sincerely,
Gregory J. Miles
Old 08-24-2000   #5
REMOVED USER

Re: What is wrong with my 88 GTA? Please read and

Fuel pressure can be checked with a borrowed or bought (about $40) Fuel Pressure gauge. There is a schrader valve located on the fuel rail which is easy to get to. I don't know offhand what psi a stock fuel pump should be putting out, but it's about the only way I know of checking the fuel pump.

TAG
Old 08-25-2000   #6
REMOVED USER

hmm?

My car when i first go and step on it waits and then takes off... Does your car just rev high and then go? Mine seems to just hesitate. THere is a tpis sensor uprgade that summit sells for 89.00 that i just ordered that supposed to take away the hesitaion common on TPI's.. Dont know if this is the same problem that you are haveing but ill let ya know if it solved my problem..
Old 08-25-2000   #7
REMOVED USER

the engine doesn't rev

Thanks for the replys so far....they have helped me get an i dea of what's going on with my car.

MORE ABOUT THE PROBLEM....

When i hit the gas, the rpm's drop and the engine sounds like its going to die out for a few seconds and then takes off and makes me swallow my teeth.......well not that bad, but you get the idea.
Old 08-25-2000   #8
REMOVED USER

Engine problems

Hi there,

My car did the same thing. My proble was the mass air flow sensor. Sounds exspenive doesnt it, well it is!!!
Mine was $340.00 installed. But to make sure have a GM place put it on the computer.

Hopw this helps
Kevin