Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > NON-GTA SPECIFIC > GENERAL DISCUSSION (NON-GTA)

GENERAL DISCUSSION (NON-GTA) Use this forum to discuss topics of a more general nature.... it can be auto-related on not. Your choice. But above all, please be adult and responsible in your postings.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
GTABill

When people don't do their homework......

It's kind of frustrating. For those that don't maybe know, I work at an auto auction. Once a year we have a special interest sale that coincides with our charity sale. We get quite a few classics in for this sale and one caught my eye when I saw the list. It stated it was a 1989 Trans Am GTA. Cool, I will have to go and check it out!! I get out there to find a blue over silver..........TA. Now it had a 5.7 TPI, T-tops, and the rear disc brakes so that was cool, but NOTHING to show it was a GTA...........GRRRRRR! The customers reason for stating that it was, was the RPO code R6A..........HUH???? I proceded to look for the RPO codes to see if there was something I was missing, but they were gone. It had the wrong interior, exterior,................everything. Plus, it was not in great shape to begin with. I told our sales department about it and they contacted the customer. He said he wasn't for sure from the get go that it was a GTA.................again, HUH???? He said he was going by the R6A code...........OY!!! Needless to say, he wanted WAY too much for it and it didn't sell. Plus he didn't make any announcements that it was just a TA......

1991 Bright Red GTA...1st place Light Modified Class 2009 & 2014 TA Nationals
41,xxx original miles as of 4/18
GTABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
90 L98 TransAm

Re: When people don't do their homework......

R6A = Value Package available for three different Firebird Submodels.

It's possible (but not likely) he did a quick internet search and the first thing that came up for that code was the GTA Value Package. I know my insurance company lumps the TAs and GTAs together on my policy. But most likely he was either a clueless flipper or was hoping to fool someone.

Anyway - since you work at an auto auction what kind of prices do the third gens bring these days? I imagine it's not much for most of them.
90 L98 TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
GTABill

Re: When people don't do their homework......

Well, honestly, we get very few third gens through the auction even with the specialty sale, which is why i was excited to see one. The one yesterday got a high bid of $3900, which was good and I thought he should have taken it. It had 108k miles, seat cushions were worn down, had some ground effect damage.....really what a DD would show. Didnt sound that good either. All things considered, the third gens Ive seen in here go pretty cheap and thats because they are not great examples. Most dealers buy them to clean em up and get a quick flip to someone who is gonna most likely gut it and turn it into track car/bracket racer, street racer, etc. Our sales are usually around 1200 cars that are lease turn ins, repos, dealer trade ins, and factory rentals.

1991 Bright Red GTA...1st place Light Modified Class 2009 & 2014 TA Nationals
41,xxx original miles as of 4/18
GTABill is offline   Reply With Quote