Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA CLASSIFIEDS > GTA PARTS FOR SALE

GTA PARTS FOR SALE Tired of looking at those GTA parts out in the garage? Need to clear out some space in the shop? Then post your parts HERE!

Old 03-17-2018   #1
DynoDave

Trans am GTA - $4500 (Darien wi)

Trans am GTA - $4500 (Darien wi)

I'm no expert, but this looks like a DEAL to me.

https://rockford.craigslist.org/cto/...521269455.html
POCI #72200
DynoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018   #2
MikeM
89 GTA

Re: Trans am GTA - $4500 (Darien wi)

Sorry guys, this oneís sold. I pick it up Friday.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018   #3
DynoDave

Wow! Congratulations! Looked like a sweet deal to me.
POCI #72200
Old 03-25-2018   #4
MikeM
89 GTA

Not bad. Car itself is very nice. Hood has some damage from a broken zipper on one of those storage ďtentsĒ people use when they donít have room in the garage, and the rear wing is pretty rough. The rest of the body and interior is excellent though. Unfortunately, way back several years ago, the previous owner blew up the original motor so it has a replacement 5.7 out of an 88GTA. It ran great for the 14years the person I bought it from had it but itís running rough now. Chasing that down and then after I get it running well again, need a new wing and off to the body shop and then it should be ready to go.
Old 03-25-2018   #5
DynoDave

The wing is certainly a common failure. Too bad about the hood. Always disappointing when you are trying to do the right thing to protect the car, and end up with damage. Sounds like you got a great deal.
POCI #72200
Old 03-26-2018   #6
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Not bad. Car itself is very nice. Hood has some damage from a broken zipper on one of those storage “tents” people use when they don’t have room in the garage, and the rear wing is pretty rough. The rest of the body and interior is excellent though. Unfortunately, way back several years ago, the previous owner blew up the original motor so it has a replacement 5.7 out of an 88GTA. It ran great for the 14years the person I bought it from had it but it’s running rough now. Chasing that down and then after I get it running well again, need a new wing and off to the body shop and then it should be ready to go.
Running rough could be caused by many different things. Maybe all it needs is a good thorough tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor), fuel filter replacement, vacuum leak fix, etc. Once you get her you can do the appropriate inspection in determining what's the deal.

How did you know it doesn't have the original engine? Did the previous owner tell you or was there some other way that you found out?

The thought just dawned on me since we're talking about tune-up. Timing gun, do they even make those anymore?

Last edited by JonBlake; 03-26-2018 at 12:21 PM.
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018   #7
MikeM
89 GTA

Owner was very honest. He told me right away that the motor was replaced roughy 17 years ago, before he got it. Pretty good guy.

The car was running fine last summer but when he fired it up to get it out to sell it, it started running rough, won’t idle and backfires through the intake. He had already replaced the wires and plugs. I checked the fuel psi and I am getting 40psi with the key on and when running. Don’t think its a fuel issue. I replaced the MAF already, no change. The battery was weak so i had to charge it yesterday. With the battery charged and the charger still on it, the car ran better - not perfect, but better. When I pulled the charger off the car slowly started running worse as the battery went down again. Gauge shows a healthy 12.5 or so volts so thinking a bad battery or voltage regulator. Didn’t think a bad voltage regulator or battery would make it run bad but??? Going to put a battery and alternator in it and see what happens.
Old 03-27-2018   #8
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Owner was very honest. He told me right away that the motor was replaced roughy 17 years ago, before he got it. Pretty good guy.

The car was running fine last summer but when he fired it up to get it out to sell it, it started running rough, wonít idle and backfires through the intake. He had already replaced the wires and plugs. I checked the fuel psi and I am getting 40psi with the key on and when running. Donít think its a fuel issue. I replaced the MAF already, no change. The battery was weak so i had to charge it yesterday. With the battery charged and the charger still on it, the car ran better - not perfect, but better. When I pulled the charger off the car slowly started running worse as the battery went down again. Gauge shows a healthy 12.5 or so volts so thinking a bad battery or voltage regulator. Didnít think a bad voltage regulator or battery would make it run bad but??? Going to put a battery and alternator in it and see what happens.
Backfiring sounds like bad timing, or wires not in correct firing order. Good luck with it. Doesn't sound like it's that big of a problem, just something isn't exactly correct on it.

In regards to the engine replacement, probably not a big deal in regards to value. Seems these cars really don't have a numbers matching value to them.
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018   #9
JAlvarado

Mine sounded like it backfired at intake (pre-fired). Would not idle at less than 1000 rpms. Had code 44. No vacuum leaks from any line. Dumb thing I did was to leave the passenger side runner bolts finger tight when I replaced gaskets on 88 5.7. Once i torqued them, no code 44, no backfiring and was able to set idle to 450 in diag and 600 in drive.

Last edited by JAlvarado; 04-11-2018 at 09:54 AM.
JAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018   #10
MikeM
89 GTA

Guys - I half-heartedly put the car up for sale yesterday. I was really looking for a black one when this one popped up. I bought this one but of course, now a black one pops up that I'd prefer. So, I put this one up for sale. I bought it for $4500 and have put roughly $1600 into it so far. It's running and driving well now. Still needs the hood and wing taken care of. It will only be for sale until the black one sells. If that one sells, I keep this one. Sounds convoluted but that's the only reason I'd sell this one. I'm needing $6,500 out of this one to make the deal happen on the other one. If not, I just keep this one - which is OK too.