Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA MISC

GTA MISC What you're looking to find out about your GTA doesn't fit in the above categories? Then post your topic HERE!

Old 03-31-2010   #1
GTA88
Gary

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Mew pics, please look

Hi:

Posted new pics in my folder. Please let me know what you think of my car.

Thanks!
GTA88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #2
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
Re: Mew pics, please look

I did not see anything?

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #3
GTA88
Gary

They are in my album called Scarlitt. Try it again.
Go to member albums and click on the pic of my car.
Old 03-31-2010   #4
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA88 View Post
Hi:

Posted new pics in my folder. Please let me know what you think of my car.

Thanks!
Looks nice. Not a big fan of the Camaro spoiler though.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #5
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991

Found it. I like it(My wife had an 87 just like it, but with the oem spoiler). I am not a fan of the Camaro spoiler though, either. Otherwise, it looks good.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #6
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

I really dig your car, but not the spoiler. I never even liked it on the camaros.

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
BigBadGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #7
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

I would like to look at the pictures too.....but I am unable to see any pictures there.

Yumiko
Old 03-31-2010   #8
YumikoGTA

OK I found it. Looks like a nice GTA to me. The spoiler is not that bad really. I think if it was painted the same color as the rest of the car it would look better. The engine compartment looks familiar looks almost exactly like mine before we did the restoration project, you have a few little alterations but not too much, like the color of the intake runners and that box on the drivers side.

Also what you did to your center console, I did the exact same thing to mine in 1993 when the edges were splitting from the console. I measured them about one and a half inches from one another and used those small little interior screws with the built-in washers. It looks not so bad when you do it like that. I did it to mine like that, and it does not look bad at all really. In 1994 or 1995 I just purchased an entire new one from the dealership. But if I did not purchase it new again, I would have been happy with the way it was like how you did it on yours.

Yumiko
Old 04-01-2010   #9
GTA88
Gary

Thanks everyone on the nice comments. Yumiko, you telling me "The engine compartment looks familiar, looks almost exactly like mine before we did the restoration project..." makes me feel proud cause yours looks sweet!! I also got rid of the nasty anti-freeze overflow with a brand new one about 5 min ago. Its funny cause I always hated the factory wing on the GTAs but LOVED the GM highrise wings. I ordered it from GM along time ago and was waiting for the right car to put it on. Im glad everyone likes my car as all yours are gorgous too!! Thanks everyone.
Old 04-01-2010   #10
GTA88
Gary

Yumiko, I did the same thing you did to my center console. I like it and I didnt want to rip the original one out but someday I may.
Old 04-01-2010   #11
YumikoGTA

Quote:
Yumiko, I did the same thing you did to my center console. I like it and I didnt want to rip the original one out but someday I may.
If you remove the original one, make sure that the one you are going to replace it with is in better shape. Also make sure that if you have the RPO sticker inside the center compartment, that you remove it and keep it with your new one, because once you lose that RPO sticker, you can not get another one.

I replaced my entire center console in 1994 or 1995, I can not remember exactly, one of those years. I have the receipts if I really want to know for sure. I replaced everything when I did this, gear shifter, emergency brake handle, gear shifter plate with leather boot, mirror adjuster, and window glass buttons. The entire total cost for all this was something like $600.00 - $800.00 if I recall correctly.

The greatest thing is, ever since then, I kept a towel over it so the sun would not damage it. And since 1999, my GTA has never been parked in the direct sun, I keep it in the garage all the time unless I am just taking a nice drive somewhere. And my new center console has never started to split like the original one did. So it must be the sun and the intense heat from parking in the direct sunlight that causes this to happen to the center consoles.

Speaking of the engine compartment on your car and mine, I scanned an old picture I took of my GTA back in Spring of 1992 when we were changing the head gaskets. They were leaking and causing my GTA engine to get hot, so we had a friend do this work. My GTA had a little bit more then $100,000 miles on it when this work had to be done. I was taking pictures as he was doing it. So I wanted to show you how my GTA engine compartment looked at one time when I used to drive my GTA every single day of the week, no matter what the weather was. I hope that you enjoy......

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 04-01-2010 at 02:23 PM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010   #12
GTA88
Gary

Thats awesome and thanks for the info on the center console. Unfortunatly the sticker was gone when I bought the car about 2 weeks ago. I want to find a build sheet but dont wanna tear my car apart. I would love to get as much info on this car as possible. I narrowed it down to this being 1 of a lil over 2000 made which is cool. Any help on where I can narrow it down more would be great.
Old 04-01-2010   #13
YumikoGTA

Quote:
Thats awesome and thanks for the info on the center console. Unfortunatly the sticker was gone when I bought the car about 2 weeks ago. I want to find a build sheet but dont wanna tear my car apart. I would love to get as much info on this car as possible. I narrowed it down to this being 1 of a lil over 2000 made which is cool. Any help on where I can narrow it down more would be great.
That is very unfortunate that you do not have that RPO sticker. Because without it, it is pretty much impossible to prove that your car is a real GTA if you ever going to sell it. Real documented GTAs are being sold for much more than the non-GTA cars are.

As you probably already know, people are making GTA clones everywhere, especially since the emblems have been GM license mass produced everywhere from America to Australia and all of the GTA components can be purchased on ebay. I know, it is a shame. It is really too bad that GM could not have a listing of all the vin numbers of the cars that had the GTA options on them. If that was true, we would be able to prove our cars are GTAs by the vin numbers. But GM did not do any such things (that I know of at least). So the only way to check (so far) that a car is a real GTA is the GTA option code on the RPO sticker.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 04-01-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-02-2010   #14
Andy 91GTA
GTA Member

Looks good except for the Camaro spoiler.
SLP catback|air foil|CAI|ported plenum|180* T-stat|Holley APFR|TransGo Stage 1 Shift Kit|Corvette Servo|.5" Boost Valve|Kenny Brown SFCs|TDS Wonderbar|Strange 3.42s|ASP crank pulley|ET Street Radials
15.03@91
92GTA
350|auto
Green w/beige leather
14.18@95
CAI|TPIS air foil|180* T-stat|ported plenum|AS&M intake runners|SuperRam intake manifold|Holley APFR|ASP crank pulley|TDS Wonderbar|ET Street Radials
92GTA
350|auto
Jamaica Yellow w/black cloth
Andy 91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010   #15
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumikoGTA View Post
That is very unfortunate that you do not have that RPO sticker. Because without it, it is pretty much impossible to prove that your car is a real GTA if you ever going to sell it. Real documented GTAs are being sold for much more than the non-GTA cars are.
So the only way to check (so far) that a car is a real GTA is the GTA option code on the RPO sticker.

Yumiko
You can still prove its a GTA by using the VIN# to get a copy of the invoice.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010   #16
GTA88
Gary

Yeah, its a real GTA. I had the vin checked first and I did alot of research to make sure everything was correct. All the trim is mounted correctly and in the correct places, all the trim is "gold", all the body panels have the same vin as everything else (ie motor etc etc.) and its a one owner car and the guy was old when he bought it new so I doubt he bought everything on ebay and changed it.
Old 04-02-2010   #17
YumikoGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
You can still prove its a GTA by using the VIN# to get a copy of the invoice.
I do not mean to sound stupid or anything..... but what exactly is the invoice? I know that there is window sticker, build sheet, and RPO sticker. The invoice I am not sure of what that is exactly. Did GM keep these in their files? Thanks....

Yumiko
Old 04-02-2010   #18
Steveh4263
1987 Pontiac Trans AM GTA

GTA Year: 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumikoGTA View Post
I do not mean to sound stupid or anything..... but what exactly is the invoice? I know that there is window sticker, build sheet, and RPO sticker. The invoice I am not sure of what that is exactly. Did GM keep these in their files? Thanks....

Yumiko
There is photo of my invoice for my car here. http://www.gtasourcepage.com/forum/s...t=52195&page=2
Old 04-04-2010   #19
YumikoGTA

Earlier we had discussed the center console. Well today, I had some time to look at my database excel spreadsheet and I looked up the records. I purchased all of the stuff to replace the center console on August 13, 1994. Interesting to see how much each piece was from the dealership.

1 Center console plate - $67.32
1 Gear shifter indicator plate (automatic) - $12.36
1 Emergency handle/leather - $36.96
1 Gear Shifter/leather - $130.68
2 Power window buttons - $11.75 each
1 Power side mirror switch - $37.62
1 Center console assm. - $260.26
Tax on all of it - $35.22

Pretty close to my cost estimate. I knew it was something between $600 and $800 dollars. Imagine if you had to buy it all new today on ebay. With the prices those people are selling stuff for, they would probably want $2000 for all of it now.

I had kept all of this stuff in my closet for about one year before I replaced the old ones in my car, so I put it in my GTA sometime in 1995.

The center console assembly came already with the ash tray, cigarette lighter, and center console arm rest/lid so those things I replaced without having to purchase them separately. If anyone ever needs the parts numbers to any of these items listed above, I can post those also if you want.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 04-04-2010 at 05:33 PM.