Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 12-04-2002   #1
gT/A-kane

Sub option

I have been doing some research on the gta sub option and i see one for sale but i dont want to remove my dash an put one on it that isnt the origanal color so i was wondering if any of u guys know if i can just remove the switch and place it in the empty space avalable for the switch ? ...Or is it worth it it the sub option a very good idea does it go well with a aftermarket CD player?

thanks for any info!
gT/A-kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002   #2
tommydodso
GTA OWNER

subs

your are wanting to put this in right ? i added it to my car made it work with and after market radio alpine. and i have a pac adapter on it to to work my radio with factory steering controls. its long process to do it. if you ar interested on knowing how to put the uq7 sub option in your car let me know. you better do it quick because i go off line today. for a couple of months due to transfering in the navy. what year is your car for starters?
tommy
Old 12-06-2002   #3
gT/A-kane

i have a 1987 gta i do not have steering wheel controls.im wondering if its worth the trouble to add the sub system.is it a very good amp ,or what about the sound?i would like to keep my car original an possible add a cd changer to my existing radio syestem if... the factory sub and amp is worth the trouble of adding or should i jus go after market.
gT/A-kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002   #4
patrickm

well, i haven't heard the UQ7's in a few years, but if you can't find them you can do mostly the same job with aftermarket stuff (or a mix of UQ7 and aftermarket) if you're handy with some basic tools and/or electronics. the toughest part is probably finding a little amp you can mount under the dash, and taking apart its switch and running it to the dashboard slide switch (you may have to add a resistor or two to make sure it matches up with the resistance of the volume control the amp comes with).

as for the speakers, you can take out not only the 6x9 speaker, but the metal plate it mounts to, and if you can use a dremel to cut it up right (it's 1/8 or 1/16" steel i think) you can fit in a 5" or so sub and a 4x6" speaker. basically, it's just a simple metal plate, and you could just make a different one with a piece of aluminum stock from home depot or whatever in case you want to go back to 6x9s later,
patrickm is offline   Reply With Quote