Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

1989 GTA won't start. Help!!!

I'm new to this forum and need to post a question about my 1989 GTA. It's not starting at all now and all summer it would start cold but not re-start after stopping. Now it won't even start. I've ran the codes with a paper clip and and got a 34 and 22 so I cleaned maf and cleaned throttle body and tps and reset it to .543 I VERIFIED FUEL PRESSURE. at 44 and have spark but even with starting fluid it won't stay running any ideas like many the pressure regulator and how to test it thanks for your help
1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.

Re: 1989 GTA won't start. Help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989 View Post
I'm new to this forum and need to post a question about my 1989 GTA. It's not starting at all now and all summer it would start cold but not re-start after stopping. Now it won't even start. I've ran the codes with a paper clip and and got a 34 and 22 so I cleaned maf and cleaned throttle body and tps and reset it to .543 I VERIFIED FUEL PRESSURE. at 44 and have spark but even with starting fluid it won't stay running any ideas like many the pressure regulator and how to test it thanks for your help
I don't know much about these cars but I can say from other make/models I've worked on in the past over the years, starter fluid can and usually does ruin sensors on modern cars. Where exactly are you shooting this into the intake? Before the MAF? If so, you may have damaged the MAF, among other sensors. Remember, these aren't a 70' Charger or a 69' Mustang, etc. These cars got sensors and IMO are a major PITA to work on, period!

Also you mention that you've cleaned the throttle body. If you've removed components from it and then reinstalled, you got to be sure and get them all reinstalled within specs. (sounds like you know what you're doing though since you set this stuff and verified per your post). Me personally, I wouldn't want to be tasked with trouble shooting one of these though. Me and electronics don't get along. Good luck.

Last edited by JonBlake; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:19 PM.
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
89-5.7GTA
Tony

GTA Year: 1989
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

I had no start/no run issues with my 1989 GTA a few years ago. Replacing the fuel pump solved the problem (A PITA to replace, BTW). I would get fuel pressure, but it would come up very slowly. Jumps right up to the mid 40's PSI after replacement. Your issue sounds fuel related as it runs momentarily on starting fluid, except that you have fuel pressure. Curious. A link to an article I found is worth reading, even though not specific to your problem. It points out the value of a code reader over the paper clip method to give a more accurate diagnosis. Good luck and report back!

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/1985-...tte-ses-light/
89-5.7GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

Thank you for the quick response and the link to that article in hot rod was helpful the worse thing is it won’t start so I can’t do many of the things they recommended there so I’m still needing help to get it running thanks so much for this forum I will have a friend run a snap on code reader
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
GTABill

Have a friend that had a Notchback that had the same issue. Cold start was fine, but once it warmed up and he shut it off, he couldn't get it to start back up. Almost acted like a flooded carb car. I don't recall what the main culprit was, but I will get in touch with him and find out to see if that'll help you out.

1991 Bright Red GTA...1st place Light Modified Class 2009 & 2014 TA Nationals
41,xxx original miles as of 12/16
Administrator-Missouri F-Body Association (Kansas City Area)
www.mofba.org
GTABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
86TA355SR

Talking Re: 1989 GTA won't start. Help!!!

Oh boy...this could be a lot of things.

I've dealt with bad a ECM, ground, fuel, and spark. I've saw ignition modules check good, work fine when motor was cold, and then no spark when car was at temperature. Fuel pressure regulator-wouldn't keep pressure up when motor was hot. ECM that got hot after a few minutes of run time. Loose connections...

When you've exhausted all the easy stuff to check, it's time to dig deeper. That's where it gets exhausting.

Have you checked the ohms of the injectors? Are they stock? When were they cleaned last (taken out of manifold and professionally done, not a can of 'injector cleaner' from the Zone)? Bad injectors will do exactly as you described...check them cold and hot for ohms. Replace if in doubt.

What did you use to clean the MAF? Are the the small thin wires intact? A bad MAF sensor, at least the ones I've dealt with, allows the car to start but it runs like crap. Usually not an issue with hot starting either.

What's the history of the motor? stock or rebuilt? If rebuilt, what parts? Did the shop/guy know what he was doing? Not trying to be insulting here, but I've saw some interesting stuff in the past...

Again, don't mean to insult your intelligence, just a few quick thoughts that come to mind...

Last edited by 86TA355SR; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:26 PM.
86TA355SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
Big&Bad89GTA
Wishing I still had my...

As with any GM car with Multec injectors, that's where I'd start.

Check the ohm resistance on each (should read 16) but if you have 2 or more which are lower, the car will crank and crank, and not start.

I have had 2 of my own cars do this in the past 3 or 4 years. I replaced with Delphi injectors from FIC in GA.

No codes set, just stopped. I hope this helps - please report what you find.
Big&Bad89GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

Thanks fo everything you people understand these cars better than any shop around here. Ok the car has 36000 miles on it and all stock all original parts on it so I just took the spark plugs and wires out and ordered new ones and ordered a new coil MSD so when they come in a few days I will post the results of that and I already replaced the dist. Cap rotor and ignition modual thanks again for all of your input if that doesn’t fix it I’ll check regulater and injectors
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9
86TA355SR

Talking Re: 1989 GTA won't start. Help!!!

I'd bet money those injectors are shot but we'll see what happens!

36K miles-Let's see pictures!
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

I am still waiting on the new parts and I do agree that the injectors are bad. So I will have them
Checked out
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.

Have you gotten it to start yet since your post where it now wouldn't start at all? Would a cracked head or block cause it to start cold but not restart when warm, and eventually get back enough where it won't start at all anymore? Hard to really say because it's a 28 year old car, though not many miles, that won't stop internal deterioration if left unchecked.
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #12

I got the new wires and plugs and coil lnstalled and still no start and also slow charged the battery checked 2injectors one at 15.4 and one at4.6 so I’m assuming the original injectors are the main problem so any advice on injectors
Old 1 Week Ago   #13
86TA355SR

Southbay out of New York. Good quality and reasonably priced.
Old 6 Days Ago   #14
DynoDave

Promo code.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/afte...ors-promo.html
POCI #72200
DynoDave is online now   Reply With Quote