Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA CLASSIFIEDS > GTA ONLINE FOR SALE ADS

GTA ONLINE FOR SALE ADS Use this forum to "discuss" GTAs that are advertised for sale online at various used car sites.... eBay, AutoTrader, etc.

Old 07-12-2017   #1
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.

Found One localy - '87

Well It's about time!!! I've found one on ebay which is local. Bid is slightly over my budget but not by much.

But you know how ebay works. Some will place a crazy high bid in moments before the ending, turning it into a pissing contest.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Pontiac...9ZZC8b&vxp=mtr

BTW - That's an original plate on this car too. That was the design back in the mid 80's. Damn! I hope I win this one.

Last edited by JonBlake; 07-12-2017 at 05:51 PM.
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017   #2
DynoDave

Re: Found One localy - '87

Looks very nice Jon. The very high miles will help keep the price down.

Having helped a fellow enthusiast sell a car on ebay, I would encourage you to write to the seller now, before the end of the auction, and let him know you are a serious buyer at this price. While you may indeed be outbid, that higher bid may very well turn out to be a deadbeat, non-paying bidder. It happens far more often than you'd like to believe. The seller has the option of offering the car to others who had bid, so letting him know now you are serious may help your case later. That's my unsolicited 2 cents.

Good luck to you.
POCI #72200
DynoDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017   #3
JonBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoDave View Post
Looks very nice Jon. The very high miles will help keep the price down.

Having helped a fellow enthusiast sell a car on ebay, I would encourage you to write to the seller now, before the end of the auction, and let him know you are a serious buyer at this price. While you may indeed be outbid, that higher bid may very well turn out to be a deadbeat, non-paying bidder. It happens far more often than you'd like to believe. The seller has the option of offering the car to others who had bid, so letting him know now you are serious may help your case later. That's my unsolicited 2 cents.

Good luck to you.
Thanks for your 2 cents, I appreciate that. I'll do that. I also wanted to ask something about this car on this forum since there are so many knowledgeable owners on here. First question I have is about the interior color. I've never seen one of these GTA's with that color. Is this interior color rare? Next question is about the T-tops and engine size. From what I've read on this forum over the past several months during my research on the GTA, I was under the impression that 87's didn't come with the t-top and 5.7 liter engine option. The only ones I've read about having this criteria (87' + T-Tops + 5.7 liter engine) was exclusively the export models to Canada.
Is any of this correct?

I really can't tell by looking at the VIN posted if this car came off the assembly line during the first run of the 87's or later. Would it be possible that the first 87' GTA's off the line had the larger engine with the T-Top?

BTW - Looks like I've been outbid but I'll keep an eye on it and maybe rebid before it ends, unless the bids go much higher then what it is now.
Old 07-13-2017   #4
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

thats very nice for the miles.. wow. I would love to find something like that in a different color
Old 07-13-2017   #5
JonBlake

I also notice the original front floor mats, or at least the one in the passenger side front is original. I see the "GM" logo on the rubber square part.

Man! I'm just dreaming of this call all day and night since I found it. From you all's experience, do you think that the bids are going to really go high on this one? I'm seriously thinking of opening up a new line of credit and slapping down that plastic on this.
Old 07-13-2017   #6
89-5.7GTA
Tony

GTA Year: 1989
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

I cannot answer your question about an '87 5.7 T-top availability, and those appear to be glass tops in that car. My '89 5.7 has the lexan tops, which over time became as brittle as eggshells. I replaced them with glass. Not cheap. In the limited photos, I do not see the t-top storage bag in the rear compartment. Minor, but also missing the WS6 wheel hub covers. I am no authority on the interior color, also. Common wear and separation of the sides of the center console. In general, it looks like it will need a thorough going over and routine maintenance. My A/C does not work either and a new compressor is the cure, but I have not gotten around to that yet. In CA, it may be more of a priority. If I was looking to buy this one, I'd try to stay under $4K. The cracked rear wing, when it really begins to bother you, will also be expensive to replace.
89-5.7GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017   #7
JonBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89-5.7GTA View Post
I cannot answer your question about an '87 5.7 T-top availability, and those appear to be glass tops in that car. My '89 5.7 has the lexan tops, which over time became as brittle as eggshells. I replaced them with glass. Not cheap. In the limited photos, I do not see the t-top storage bag in the rear compartment. Minor, but also missing the WS6 wheel hub covers. I am no authority on the interior color, also. Common wear and separation of the sides of the center console. In general, it looks like it will need a thorough going over and routine maintenance. My A/C does not work either and a new compressor is the cure, but I have not gotten around to that yet. In CA, it may be more of a priority. If I was looking to buy this one, I'd try to stay under $4K. The cracked rear wing, when it really begins to bother you, will also be expensive to replace.
Great info. Greatly appreciated. I'm thinking this is a really great car. 30 year old sports car that is in pretty good shape actually without any rust or other damage, all there with nothing really missing but the wheel caps and t-top bag as you mentioned. She's got some miles for sure but in reality, 200K on 30 year old car comes out to basically 6.5K per year. Man that's not bad at all really. And for me its really not about the mileage as much as it is about the actual condition of the vehicle. It could have a million miles on it for all I'm concerned but if it's in great shape and complete, I'm happy.

Thanks again for the feedback. I greatly appreciate it.
Old 07-19-2017   #8
89-5.7GTA
Tony

GTA Year: 1989

I see it sold for $4250.00. Jon - did you buy it?
89-5.7GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017   #9
JonBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89-5.7GTA View Post
I see it sold for $4250.00. Jon - did you buy it?
No, unfortunately that was about $1,250 over my planned budget. Though I'm sure I'll regret it, but, how I got past putting in bid after bid was the mindset that it's sometimes better to want then to get. Guess I'll only want one of these. But I can get a poster of one and hang it on the wall or build a model of one. But unless I get a total financial windfall, I really don't think I'll get one.
Old 08-14-2017   #10
dougdez
execute order 66

GTA Year: 1988

i simply LUV the carmine interior....it looks amazing