Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 06-06-2000   #1
REMOVED USER

Electric fan continuely running

1988gta transam 305 Follow me 2 electricfans in front of engine.driverside fan primarily for cooling engine, passenger side fan primarily cools air conditioning condenser.Problem I am having is as follows. passenger side electric fan constantly runs as soon as key is turned.checked fan relay, tempeture sensor,checked for bad connections,and ran diagnostics check by jumping terminals A & B. When terminal A & B were jumped the driver side electric fan started to run also. After all these test I came to the conculsion that the emc is bad,because fan is controlled by emc during operation of the air condition as stated in Haynes automotive repair manuel 82-92 firebird page 308. but still I'm not convinced and I don't want to by a emc if I dont have to,ther non refundable. looking for advise or ultimatly the fix please respond.
Old 07-23-2000   #2
REMOVED USER

Re: Electric fan continuely running

When you say you checked the temp. sensor do you mean the coolant temp. sensor (CTS)? Did you check the temp. switch which turns that secondary fan on at ~238 degrees? I had that switch go on my '91 and it did the same thing, the fan would turn on as soon as I turned the key forward.