Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 05-27-2000   #1
REMOVED USER

WS6 (GTA, TTA) vs 1LE TA - What are differences?

Hi everyone. This must be the best third generation site on the net. Everyone should thank the webmaster for his outstanding content, photos, and organization.

I am comparing 1LE cars to WS6 GTA/TTA's and G92/Z28's.
It seems that aside from creature comforts and front brakes, the differences are quite subtle!
Can anyone answer these questions?

1.Seems that 1LE/Z28's used a 36mm hollow front sway bar, and 24mm rear (same as WS6 cars.)
Question - did the 1LE Firebirds use the same sway bars as the WS6 cars?

2. Were 1LE Firebird spring rates different than those of the WS6 cars?

3. Apparently 1LE shocks were dropped in the 1990 1LE/Z28 in favor of standard Z28 "gas" units. Did the 1LE TA cars use WS6 shocks/struts from 1990 on?

4. Was the baffled 1LE gas tank phased into Firebird production in 1990? (Apparently in the Camaros it was.)

5. Besides A/C, and special front brakes, how does a 1991/92 1LE Trans Am differ from a 1991/92 GTA (except 305 A/T GTA), in pure mechanical terms? We know GTA had aluminum prop shaft and spare wheel.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 05-27-2000   #2
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: WS6 (GTA, TTA) vs 1LE TA - What are differences?

I can't for certain answer any of these questions for you, as the 1LE package was not offered on the GTA models. I do know that the 1LE package and its contents were the only differences between these T/As and "regular" T/As. As for the differences in T/As and GTAs, well..... the Source Page covers that pretty thoroughly.

Try this website for all your 1LE questions: www.1le.net

One of the best 1LE sites I've ever seen, this one should be able to answer all your 1LE-specific questions. If you stray back over into "GTA territory" and need some help, just let me know.....

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2000   #3
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: WS6 (GTA, TTA) vs 1LE TA - What are differences?

Just another word, too..... The 1989 20th Anniversary Trans Ams had all the 1LE hardware in the front end (brakes, etc.), but were not included in the number of 1LE cars built that year.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2000   #4
REMOVED USER

1989 1LE GTA and GTA's with 1LE features

I have always been curious about the 1LE cars. They are mentioned in various places in this site, notably in the Trans Am Timeline and RPO Production Figures sections.

People selling them often refer to them as "limited editions", though at certain times (1990-1992) it seems that they were limited only to how many people actually ordered them.
I have seen prices on 1LE cars all the way up to $75000, though $12,000 seems like an average now.
They have been called everything from the next L88, to a track and street terror, right off the showroom floor.
People have been asking a major premium over what a comparable GTA was fetching so
obviously, a little reseach was called for.

Apparently, the 1989 TTA was built to 1LE specs.
The window sticker lists:

- "Special Performance Package" (WS6)
- "High Performance Brake and Fuel System" (1LE)

The TTA shared the same large swaybars as the WS6 cars, but the spring rates were changed because of its lighter weight. A magazine road test from the time noted that it used WS6 suspension, except for "deflected disc" shock absorbers. (See March '89 Motor Trend Road Test @this site) Other 1LE features were aluminum prop shaft and spare wheel, but these had already been incorporated into the GTA model, and were not listed separately on the window sticker.

In the Hot Rod 1991 GTA test (also @this site) the 1LE option is mentioned as being only a HD front brake option. Possibly the 1LE fuel system (baffled tank with rotating pickup) had become standard equipment in the GTA, as it apparently had in the Z28. The 1LE deflected disc shocks were no doubt replaced by the WS6 gas shocks.

It seems as though, by 1991/92 the GTA had little to fear from the 1LE cars, with the possible exception of greater fade resistance in the braking dept. The GTA owner also had the convenience of A/C.
WS6 owners also have the satisfaction of knowing that their swaybars were used to upgrade the Z28 suspension to 1LE status!
Old 06-01-2000   #5
REMOVED USER

Re: 1989 1LE GTA and GTA's with 1LE features

I'm not going to say I'm an expert on this but I do know that the 1LE gas tank was specific to the 1LE for all years on the camaro and firebird(the book lists a diferent part # for the 1LE cars on all years).As far as fearing them,they weren't all that diferent from regular models however they have proven to be very light and had changed gear ratios in manual equipped cars(which seem to be the choice in road racing)for better track performances. 1le.net is a good place to find info on these rare cars.
Later,
Steve
89 GTA
TTA#850
TTA#861
Old 06-02-2000   #6
REMOVED USER

Best 1LE Firebird Information is here!

The GTA Source has been the best place for me to find factual information on any high performance third generation firebird. I don't want to demean 1LE.net, I enjoy that site, but the 3rd Gen. information there seems to have already been published in the Camaro Technical Database, and there is a lack of TransAm info, and some of the information is incomplete, or is not valid for all years.

I found the information on sway bars and gastanks by searching the third gen.org archives. Someone has posted the part no. for the 1991 Z28 tank, apparently it was identical to the 1LE tank at that point. I relied on that information. It makes sense because many of the 1LE features were incorporated into other high performance Firebirds: Rear brakes,
Prop Shaft, Aluminum Spare, and there are probably others (bushings, wonderbar?)

As far as weight goes, the "Camaro Technical Database" lists the weights of options for 1992 Camaros. Much of this information is probably valid of the GTA and Trans Am. A GTA with manual transmission and without TRoof is by no means a heavy weight. Certain power options were standard on the Trans Am, and I don't believe that they were "deleted" for the sake of the 1LE package.

It is nice to see a healthy debate on the subject, even if it is not entirely a GTA topic. But since the TTA was a 1LE, and many of the parts evolved into the GTA, isn't it worthy of discussion?
Old 06-06-2000   #7
REMOVED USER

Re: Best 1LE Firebird Information is here!

OK,I found some more info on the gas tanks.Some dealers have listings that would make you think the tanks are the same but note however that the original is no longer avalible and the service replacement is not a 1LE tank.Also,after speaking to several 90-92 owners,those that have dropped their tanks to replace a pump not that it did not have the swinging pickup.I am giong to get in touch with the previos owner of one of my TTA's to see what he says(he replaced the FP just prior to the sale).
Steve