Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 06-22-2000   #1
REMOVED USER

Overheating

I have a 87 GTA and it is running warm about a 100 when crusing around town but when i get on the highway it drops to 40 when it gets more air of course.
Has anybody had this problem.
Rad looks good and car runs great but i blew out two block heaters the past couple weeks and have now installed a frost plug instead and it seems to be holding.
Solutions ?

Old 06-22-2000   #2
REMOVED USER

possibility

The problem your having is probably the lack of or damaged thermostat. The thermostat serves two purposes to keep engine at running temp and to restrict the flow. try that
Old 06-23-2000   #3
REMOVED USER

Overheating

It sounds like you have an excess pressure problem in your engine's cooling system as indicated by the block heater blowing out. The initial and least costly fixes are the radiator cap and the thermostat which are both easy and cheap to replace.

You indicate the car runs hotter during city driving which is normal. I do not know where you live but in the summer the car will run a bit hotter, especially in city driving, compared to the other seasons. You indicate the car runs fine so the over heating/pressure problem is probably not attributed to engine operation and may be systemic to the cooling system.

You may want to try a complete cooling system flush and note the colour of the water. Rusty water will indicate rusting radiator or heater coil; however, it is a little early for a 1987 to rust. Back flushing can be done by installing a prestone type kit and your garden hose or most oil change places will do a power flush for small charge. New antifreeze also helps the cooling system in addition to its cold temperature properties.

More expensive causes of over heating are malfunctioning radiator or heater coil or water pump. But considering the car cools properly on the highway I would guess these are not the problem.

Hope this helps.

Ray
Old 06-25-2000   #4
REMOVED USER

Over Heating

Hi there,

My 88 Gta was over Heating and i found that the lower front air dam fell off. That will cause it to over heat. Anything is possible for over heating but i would check there first. It could be loose or gone. Just a Idea. Hope i could help.

Kevin