Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 10-14-2011   #1
CanuckDreamz

DIgital Dash II

I read a couple threads down Ghost was having issues with the readout on his dash.

I am having a similar issue, however rather than the readout having simply switched to metric (It's a Canadian car anyway), the dash will begin flickering between metric and imperial.

When this happens, the engine simultaneously shudders, seems to stall, yet re-engages. The car has not stalled on me (yet) but it threatens to do so, dangerously, and of course the power loss at inopportune times is dangerous as well.

So the question to Ghost if you read this is when you were having problems with your readout was anything else manifesting itself? Or has anyone else encountered these same symptoms?

I am assuming this can be tracked to ECM (which I am absolutely hopeless to begin diagnosing issues with before I pull her out again next spring), but if it were a fuel-delivery issue, would it also have the effect described on the digital readouts? I do know the fuel pump is audible at most times when the vehicle is in operation, and will replace it at first opportunity--but I don't understand why the dash would be changing over metric/imperial and back due to fuel delivery failure....

The other notion I had was charging system, but I haven't had any issues with start-up or any obvious drains/light flickers (other than dash), the belts look good, and alternator smells fine...

CanuckDreamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011   #2
merc3065

Re: DIgital Dash II

Sounds like an electrical short somewhere or a loose ground causing all the engine systems to die.

I'd start looking at the basics first, battery, battery connections, starter connection, alternator.
Old 10-14-2011   #3
GhostGTA
GhostGTA

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Canuck,

Have you pulled the speed sensor box (yellow box near the ECM) and looked at the connections? I pulled the ECM and the speed sensor box, the connections were filthy. I cleaned them with electronic component cleaner (from any parts store) and that solved my problem.

I didn't have any stalling problems, mine was a high idle due to vaccum leak and faulty ECM readings coming from engine. These cars can be full of gremlins, mine was. Let me know if I can help out any...
GhostGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011   #4
TTOP350

check grounds, firewall ground sounds suspect.
TTOP350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011   #5
CanuckDreamz

Hey guys!

As it turns out, it was much more a mundane issue than all of that....

Previous ownership routed positive battery cable across the front of the engine compartment but did not secure it in any fashion. As a result, the loom started rubbing on the pulleys causing the load on both the electrical system AND the engine.

Because of the placement of it, I didn't finally find the problem until the pulleys had cut through the loom and insulation of the wire and started showering the engine compartment with sparks.

Scary moment! Hahaha....

I was going to go to the trouble of replacing the whole thing but on further inspection I decided I could get by just retaping the damn thing, putting some shrink wraps on it, and tie-strapping it to the forward stabilizer.

I had a chance to go through a bit of the wiring in diagnosis and while everything is connected and operating, I think I will make wiring a priority project next summer.
CanuckDreamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011   #6
merc3065

Awesome job.
Old 10-17-2011   #7
CanuckDreamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc3065 View Post
Awesome job.
Cheers!