Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 06-18-2001   #1
REMOVED USER

Painting

I met with the paint shop on Friday and have some information to pass on. On the broken clips attaching the skirt on the front aeropackage. They advised there is an epoxy resin, which can glue/bond the material used in our aeropackage. On the badges they have new double-sided rubber adhesive to replace under all the badges and also the door/fender bumper guards. Side marker lights came off easy. The aeropackage under the door has side bolts, which attach it to the body. I removed the passenger seat and interior covers but could not get to the bolts. I will leave this for the body shop to do as this aeropackage may still have to come off because my passenger front fender/door does not align as noted before. May leave the door parts for them to do also. Always good to recognize one's limitations. Here is an interesting little tid bit. I was going to paint the headlight plastic cowlings in flat black to match the other trim. I did not want to paint over the gold “Pontiac” lettering on the driver’s side cowling. I found out this is a badge stuck on with double sided rubber adhesive. In the past I have glued Velcro bra strips on my cowling lip for the head light bra covers and soaked the lip in contact cement cleaner and noticed this Pontiac badge came loose. I then painted the two cowlings without painting over the gold lettering. The car goes in next Monday. I am taking a sheet listing all the things I want done. I have circled in felt pen all the door dings and misalign door/fender for the body man. Soaked all nuts and bolts in varsal and lubricated with WD40 so that they spin freely. This will really help when reattaching those hard to reach parts with your fingers. Found new 13mm fasteners for those front grills and my 13mm sockets fits through both hood access holes. I will post any other useful information.
Old 06-18-2001   #2
Brent87LT1
Multi-Vehicle Member

Quick! wax & grease remover!

WD-40 and other silicone based lubricants are your paint's worst nightmare. Make sure you have not left any residue on any parts to be painted. You can buy wax & grease remover at most auto paint supply & part stores. Any reputable body shops will wipe it down anyway but why chance it.

These lubricants will cause paint to "fish-eye" or pull away from the oil spots.
Old 06-18-2001   #3
REMOVED USER

PAINTING

RAYMOND THANKS FOR THE UPDATE AND THE NEW INFO. THE DEMOLITION HAS STOPPED AT THE BOTTOM GROUND EFFECTS AS WELL. EVERTHING ELSE IS OFF THE GTA! I WILL REMOVE THE FENDER WELL COVERS ON THE FRONT AND TRY TO GET TO THE REAR BOLTS AS WELL. AFTER READING YOU TREAD IT SEEN LIKE EVERTHING COME OFF REAL EASY. I USED A SMALL WIRE WITH WOODEN HANDLES TO REMOVE THE SIDE MOLDING AND BADGING. NOW THE SANDING WILL BEGIN. KEEP US UPDATED ON WHAT IS HAPPYING TO THE GTA. THANKS AGAIN.

GTAFOX
Old 06-18-2001   #4
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: PAINTING

Ray, be very careful with that gold "P-O-N-T-I-A-C" headlamp emblem..... they are N/A from GM anymore. Just a word of caution.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001   #5
REMOVED USER

Pontiac Emblem

Yes thank you for that Frankie. If anyone else attempts to remove this I would not do it with out soaking it with something to dissolve the double-sided adhesive. I found by accident contact cement cleaner worked without damaging anything else. I am having the body shop apply new double sided adhesive to all badges and emblems as if you look carefully the rubber is beginning to deteriorate under most of them.
Old 06-19-2001   #6
REMOVED USER

Monthly Spotlight

GTAFOX maybe once your car is painting take a few pictures of it amidst the scenery around your city as a back drop as a reminder of what it looked like right after painting. Then forward prints onto Frankie for a spotlight, I am sure he would probably accommodate you and we could all see how it turned out. Mine is already in the 1989 gallery.

Ray
Old 07-11-2001   #7
REMOVED USER

Painting

Well I got the car back from the paint shop last night. It looks very good. I spent about 6 hours reassembling about 80% of it last night. The parts go back on much easier once you know how they come off. So far so good. The car needs its first wash to really inspect the paint closely. I have found a few small items such as paint over spray and polishing which the shop said they would take care of. They also said they would adjust my headlights once I have them back on the car. I discovered another tip I will pass on for future people painting their GTA’s. The mirror portion of the outside rear view mirrors can be carefully pried off. It is glued to the backing and if you slowly work it off you can remove the adjusting mechanism by accessing mounting screws. But be careful, GM advised me you have to buy the whole assembly if you break a part. I will probably reattach with a few dabs of contact cement.

Ray
Old 07-11-2001   #8
REMOVED USER

poncho emblem

"be very careful with that gold "P-O-N-T-I-A-C" headlamp emblem..... they
are N/A from GM anymore"

However:

1987-90 GTA, gold, GM $8.95 ea

www.nextgenparts.com