Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA CLASSIFIEDS > GTA CARS FOR SALE

GTA CARS FOR SALE Got a GTA that, Heaven Forbid, you're looking to send to a good home for whatever reason? Then post your listing HERE.....!

Old 05-17-2012   #1
Tonygxp

89 68k mi 5.7 3rd owner

I looked for months for this car and was lucky to have found it. I recently purchased a Pontiac G8 (#219 of the first 888 made) and am building a 402 stroker for it. I couldn't pass up this deal. My friend owns a hi performance shop and a customer who put a ton of money into the G8 spun a bearing and wiped out the crank so his loss is now my gain and the GTA needs a new home. I only have a ONE car climate controlled Garage lol.

I wasn't going to sell my GTA as i just bought it a few months ago but i am now putting it up.

T-Top '89 5.7 Brilliant red beechwood leather (recovered a month ago) with 68k original miles. i am the third owner. Car is not perfect but extremely clean and well maintained. was repainted in '03 by previous owner.

There is NO RUST/ROT on this car. It has the original hood (vin sticker is there). No accidents of any kind. Has $2000 worth of chrome moly tubular Spohn suspension (control arms, wonderbar, panhard rod, Delrin bushings, etc), new Moog springs, Moog front end, radiator, injectors, fuel lines, water pump, headlight motors, power antenna, window motors, harmonic balancer, welded Spohn subframe connectors, headliner, T-Top inserts, falken tires with 95% tread, polished original wheels, original radio, original overhead console flashlight in working order, spare/jack, T-top bag, cargo cover, original RPO code sticker is in center console where it is supposed to be, ALL EMISSIONS CONTROLS PRESENT AND WORKING, plugs, wires, cap/rotor, fuel filter, air filter, PCV, vacuum lines, build sheet, Pontiac historical services paperwork, ORIGINAL OLD WINDOW STICKER (ugly back then, line printed black and white and is a square as opposed to the rectangle shape of today), battery tender, car cover and a ton of spare parts including 4 fenders, door panel grommets, shifter handles, etc etc. Car is a great driver. solid 8 out of 10 imho.

I will be asking $7200/bo into the car for about $9000 so someone is going to make out like a bandit but i did on my G8 so it'll be a wash . I would've killed for this GTA when i was looking. i couldn't find it.

car gets looks non stop when i'm out and about. compliments, questions, alot of attention. finding them in this condition inside, outside and underneath is rare and cost big $$$. AC blows ice cold, cruise works, car can absolutely be driven form here to florida without an issue. i have taken it on a 90 mile ride and outside of it being an '89 F body (i have all new vehicles so i'm a little spoiled lol), it road and drove terrific. Car has been garage kept since '03 by previous owner and now myself (climate controlled under a cover on a battery tender)

PS, i have the lower black plastic side skirts that conceal the low exhaust pipe just haven't put them back up yet since the suspension work was completed. they're sitting in the shop along with the new backing plates for the rear brakes

in front of my friend's shop

at a show

Tonygxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #2
Tonygxp

Re: 89 68k mi 5.7 3rd owner

Old 05-17-2012   #3
Tonygxp

Spohn pics

[hr]
my new G8 that's replacing the GTA

[hr]Car can be seen upon request at my friend's shop in Toms River (one in the pics). thanks for looking!
Old 05-18-2012   #4
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

The car that you are replacing your GTA with has a modern performance, but I think your GTA looks better and is more unique. None of that matters however, just as long as you are getting what you really want. I hope that this newer car brings you much happiness and excitement.

Yumiko
Old 05-18-2012   #5
MRM

I have owned a GTA and currently own a G8. The G8 gets far more looks and comments than my GTA did and I owned it when those cars were still being produced. Not to mention there were less G8s made than GTAs except for possibly 91 and 92. Anyway, just thought I'd offer my opinion.

The GTA is sharp. It's one of the few repainted cars I have seen where the emblems are remotely in the correct location. Good luck with the sale.
MRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #6
Tonygxp

MRM, with all do respect, two things. 1st: the emblems are exactly where they're supposed to be, feel free to bring a ruler and measure for yourself lol and 2nd: you're out of your mind about the G8 getting more looks/attention than my GTA. The pics do not do this car justice, it's eye catching, the color, condition, lack of any third gens looking this pristine just sitting still. I pass 10 G8's a day and never give a second look (they resemble most 4 door sedans out there) this is 24yo and does not. I think your opinion is not shared by the masses. Your G8 next to my GTA in a parking lot nobody would give the G8 a second look if the GTA was there lol I love the G8 but not for it's head turning ability. For not turning heads.

PS: only 990 or so of my Brilliant red/Beechwood Leather Interior GTA's were made in '89 (only year you could get a 5.7 and factory CC1 Fisher T-Tops) Far less than any G8's built. Only Pacific Slate and Stryker Blue G8's have lower production numbers than my GTA. For the last figure, only 29k or so GTA's were built from '87 through '92 (6 model years) compared with nearly 38k G8's built in '08 &'09.

Last edited by Tonygxp; 05-18-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-18-2012   #7
WickedTTa

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Check out StreetsideClassics.com
WickedTTa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #8
Tonygxp

couple interior shots as requested.
in the garage under the cover so the lighting is terrible. Camera is a 16 megapixel Sony.

Old 05-18-2012   #9
Tonygxp

CarFax shows that on 1/1/89 this car had a miraculous 64k miles on it lol an obvious New Car Dealer blunder when entering the trade in car's mileage in and having it on the brand new GTA.

Last edited by Tonygxp; 05-18-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-18-2012   #10
Tonygxp

as you can see from the muffler shop receipt the GTA had only 32k miles on it in 1996

Last edited by Tonygxp; 05-18-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-19-2012   #11
YumikoGTA

The thing about the mileage is crazy! How did they do that? If they listed that 64,000 on 1989, then the next time it was smog tested and the mileage was recorded correctly, it would look as though it was a rollback issue. Does the carfax indicate any rollback issues? If so how can it be fixed?

About the emblems, yes, your emblems are in very accurate spots, especially the fender emblems. The nose emblem is impossible to put in the wrong place because they drill holes in the bumper cover at the factory and so you can always reinstall it accurately without measuring it first. Looks very good.

Yumiko
Old 05-19-2012   #12
Tonygxp

didn't realize this one wasn't focused yet!
Old 05-19-2012   #13
Tonygxp

as for the car fax issue? My only advice is to not trust Car Fax's "rating" of any car until you research the full report. I have seen it listed an accident on one car and it consisted of a bumper repaint but it was through insurance and another which was a rollover non salvage due to vehicle being brand new and NOT having enough damage to total it? car fax shows the same "accident number" for both. When you research the car fax you have to read between the lines. I had a car where NYS inspection station put the wrong mileage down and it screwed EVERYTHING up on the car fax, looking like a rollback (of 2100 miles). i never knew it happened UNTIL i tried to trade it in years later. But the dealer picked up on it and it worked out, but they tried to lowball me for it. Car faxis a great service but like anything else you gotta check it out and not trust it 100% physical documents in hand outweigh anything Car fax has to say imo.
I am actually going to try and contact car fax just for the heck of it and i'll post the response.
Old 05-19-2012   #14
YumikoGTA

In the last few years, I have been worried about the guys at the smog station recording the mileage incorrectly on my GTA when I bring it there for the testing. When they give me the paperwork to fill out, I usually will also put the mileage on the form just so they do not have to and I do not have to worry that they do it incorrectly. The other thing I wonder about carfax is who has authorization to report anything to them? Why I am asking is sometimes I wonder if it is possible that someone could just contact them with a vin number to a car and then just say something is wrong with the car and then they put that on the report.

So my question if you know is, who has authorization to submit docutments to carfax that carfax will accept and then make the entry to that car? Can anyone or does it have to be something special with license and stuff like that. I could just see someone is angry at someone so they write down the vin and then report it to carfax as being stolen, lower miles, or in a crash and then this would cause the car to have a lower score on that report. Does anyone know?

Yumiko
Old 05-19-2012   #15
Tonygxp

i just emailed them, says they will respond by Tuesday. We'll find out lol I embedded the docs i posted above and the fact that the car was put into new car inventory with 64k miles on it. doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure that clerical error out, but if i listed it on an ebay with the report the "rank number" would take a hit for no reason.. I want it fixed.
Old 05-19-2012   #16
YumikoGTA

Well I am unsure how much that report influences a resale price. Because look at the scoring on this one below. Just because it is a high score does not mean that this car is worth a lot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ponti...item484522099e

However, I also believe that if the score is low or if there is something negative on that report, that only gives someone a reason to try and get the car for nothing. I can just imagine someone looking at a car and saying "oh, there is a paint chip on here, I will give you $4,000 instead of $10,000. There are creeps out there like that I am sure that will use a negative on the report as a reason to ask stupid prices.

Yumiko
Old 05-19-2012   #17
Tonygxp

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumikoGTA View Post
Well I am unsure how much that report influences a resale price. Because look at the scoring on this one below. Just because it is a high score does not mean that this car is worth a lot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ponti...item484522099e

However, I also believe that if the score is low or if there is something negative on that report, that only gives someone a reason to try and get the car for nothing. I can just imagine someone looking at a car and saying "oh, there is a paint chip on here, I will give you $4,000 instead of $10,000. There are creeps out there like that I am sure that will use a negative on the report as a reason to ask stupid prices.

Yumiko
i use the car fax to look for the obvious: roll backs, salvage, flood, fleet titles, number of owners and if any accidents are reported. That report is important to most people so it sucks when it is inaccurate. For me, In the long run i would be better off holding onto the car lol it is only going to go up from here on out seeing how it's rarely driven and garaged (and i am fanatical about my vehicles)
Old 05-20-2012   #18
Tonygxp

Had a feeling it wouldn't take much.. Looks like she's gone. This car is one of those cars that comes along only 2 or 3 times in a lifetime. It's one of those cars that grabs any and all attention around it. I don't know if it's the Brilliant red combined with the gold trim and the style being timeless or what but today, 2nd car show in two days, it steals the spotlight from a ridiculously beautiful GN and TTA. Both of which belong to my close friends. Pics first

So, as you can see in the pics this car is a chick magnet lol. I had three guys come track me down while i was walking around trying to find out if i wanted to sell the car. As you can see, i didn't PUT any signs in the window, nor did i mention it to anyone. My friend Joe (owner of the GN) knew I wanted to move the car and asked me to hold it for his father who will pick it up on Wednesday. I know Joe for 25 years and his father is a great guy. i said no problem. Joe was with me when all these people kept inquiring about the status of the car. I told them "My friend right here is pretty much sure he wants it." Everyone of them gave me their name and number and begged to be contacted if the deal fell through lol. One older italian guy (Mauricio) says to me "I live right down the street i can be back here in 20 minutes with the cash" I said buddy, i appreciate your desire to own the car but my friend comes first.
Yesterday i had a similar incident in seaside heights with an older lady who offered to buy the car without driving it (just like the others) for the asking price $7500 (i gave an internet discount to you guys at $7200/bo lol). My friend is costing me $1000!!! well worth it lol. I gave it to his father for $6500, which is more of a favor price considering the condition of it mechanically and cosmetically. In hindsight, i could've put it up n Ebay and probably got $8500 seeing how this car is swarmed wherever i go. My only advice to give you guys looking to get rid of your cars is this. Paint job and new upholstery. These people DON'T EVEN WANT TO DRIVE IT. It's that ridiculous. Lucky for them, i'm an honest guy and believe in Karma. This car runs and drives better than it looks. and these pics don't lie.

some brunch with my friend's. You should've seen the head snapping this caused on a very busy road on staten island lol

Old 05-20-2012   #19
Tonygxp

Parks Police with nothing better to do than pull over a beautiful show car cruising along with it's Indy 500 pace car front plate.. Mind you he was a good 5 miles from any national park, where they patrol "hey buddy, i think the NYPD has the mean streets of midland beach, Staten Island covered" My friend is a NYPD SGT for 17yrs. how do you think that MV stop went?

Anyway, the new order is as follows if for some reason Wednesday falls through (unlikely but not impossible).
1. Joe's father ($6500)
2. Old lady from seaside car show ($7500)
2. Pat (SI car show guy #1) ($7500)
3. Mauricio (SI car show guy #2) ($7500)
4. Guy who's named i forgot but have his number lol from same show ($7500)
5. Guy from this board from Indy area due to his geographical situation ($7200)
6. anyone else who wants a spot PM me lol.

one of the other cars that were there (10 sec Dart, absolutely gorgeous)

I didn't start taking pics of our cars till after 12:30 or so, mostly all other 150-200 cars cleared out.Every sunday they gather at Gateway national park on Hylan Blvd from about 8am-12pm. great time.
Old 05-21-2012   #20
YumikoGTA

Very exciting photographs, I really love the ones of the two cars parked in front of where you ate. No wonder everyone was looking at them. I would be also to see two of these cars next to each other like that. So did the white one get pulled over by the police? Why?

Looks like you should not have any difficulties selling your GTA. Seriously these two cars look much much better then two G8s together Good luck with your sale.

Yumiko