Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA CLASSIFIEDS > GTA ONLINE FOR SALE ADS

GTA ONLINE FOR SALE ADS Use this forum to "discuss" GTAs that are advertised for sale online at various used car sites.... eBay, AutoTrader, etc.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.

GTAs on Ebay

At least once every other day I'm on ebay checking on what 3rd gen - GTA offerings are on there. One thing I'm noticing is there is one seller on there who has at least 6 3rd gens for sale, and they aren't asking for anything cheap either. Cheapest one is over $18K. I'm wondering if this is an attempt to inflate the "value" of these cars. Or does it seem reasonable that they are asking so much for even a non-GTA 3rd gen? Gateway Classic Cars. 10 3rd gens in total are listed on ebay and six of them are being listed by Gateway, all over $18K apiece. Asking $23K for a standard T/A. Any thoughts?
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
89-5.7GTA
Tony

GTA Year: 1989
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: GTAs on Ebay

If I were looking to sell mine, I'd like to see the prices climbing, obviously. As a buyer, the prices seem high. On their website they have a '90 convertible 5.0 tpi in red that looks pretty good and not priced ridiculously - around $15K. Not unreasonable.
89-5.7GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #3
JonBlake

I'm curious to see how many they actually sell at the prices they're asking. You're right though, if you got one already it would be cool to have them be as valuable as possible.

I was looking at the black 87' with the aftermarket rims & hood. They're asking $23K Looks like it's been pretty much modified under the hood. IMO I'd say that's no more than a $8K rig, and I'm being realistic.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Firebi...8:pf:0&vxp=mtr
Old 5 Days Ago   #4
89-5.7GTA
Tony

GTA Year: 1989
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Conservatively overpriced by 50% or more. Blah, blah, blah engine stuff does not increase the value. IMO it is worth less than an unmodified '87.
89-5.7GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #5
Roadrunner
87 GTA 305 Auto

Base model -> I think more like $4k
There are suckers out there that they may be counting on though.
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #6
JonBlake

By looking at it, we don't know if that engine has any issues. We don't know if it's been taken care of or rode hard and put away wet, to the point it's on it's last & final leg and about to go south.

For $23K, I wouldn't want to get involved with a car I have no idea if it was built right to begin with, and if it's close to the end of its service life. These are the things I'd be most concerned with.

Last edited by JonBlake; 4 Days Ago at 01:33 PM.
Old 3 Days Ago   #7
GTABill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBlake View Post
I'm curious to see how many they actually sell at the prices they're asking. You're right though, if you got one already it would be cool to have them be as valuable as possible.

I was looking at the black 87' with the aftermarket rims & hood. They're asking $23K Looks like it's been pretty much modified under the hood. IMO I'd say that's no more than a $8K rig, and I'm being realistic.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Firebi...8:pf:0&vxp=mtr
That's a lot of coin for what was once most likely a Formula/Formula 350. I like the comment about the GTA wing..........Must not have known Formulas came with them as well. Its been well taken care of it looks like, but its been rode hard I bet. Plus, with that kind of power I would hope it would have some good subframe connectors. With it having T-Tops, it'll be twisting and flexing lol. I'm proud of my ride, but I know in reality that its no where near worth what they are asking for their stuff. Wow.

1991 Bright Red GTA...1st place Light Modified Class 2009 & 2014 TA Nationals
41,xxx original miles as of 4/18
GTABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #8
JonBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTABill View Post
That's a lot of coin for what was once most likely a Formula/Formula 350. I like the comment about the GTA wing..........Must not have known Formulas came with them as well. Its been well taken care of it looks like, but its been rode hard I bet. Plus, with that kind of power I would hope it would have some good subframe connectors. With it having T-Tops, it'll be twisting and flexing lol. I'm proud of my ride, but I know in reality that its no where near worth what they are asking for their stuff. Wow.
Yeah, lot of coin is right, especially if problems start to occur shortly after the purchase. Imagine having to throw money at it after buying it for $23K.

As for values on these cars, they're climbing, I've seen it increase over the year or so I've been looking for one. I believe in only a few more years from now the values of these 3rd gens will be much greater then compared to what they are now.
Old 2 Days Ago   #9
GTABill

Quote:
Yeah, lot of coin is right, especially if problems start to occur shortly after the purchase. Imagine having to throw money at it after buying it for $23K.

As for values on these cars, they're climbing, I've seen it increase over the year or so I've been looking for one. I believe in only a few more years from now the values of these 3rd gens will be much greater then compared to what they are now.
That would be nice to see them get more recognized. 3rd gens have really been the black sheep of the F-body line and will probably always have that distinction.

Old 2 Days Ago   #10
JonBlake

Quote:
That would be nice to see them get more recognized. 3rd gens have really been the black sheep of the F-body line and will probably always have that distinction.
I never knew that 3rd gens were considered by anyone as the black sheep of the F-body.

And my search for a 3rd gen continues......
Old 2 Days Ago   #11
GTABill

Quote:
I never knew that 3rd gens were considered by anyone as the black sheep of the F-body.

And my search for a 3rd gen continues......
They aren't considered to be the most sought after..........

1st and 2nd gens.......classic styling and Pontiac motors, sans the Olds 403 and few 305 Chevys in some late second gens. Fetching ridiculous money

3rd gens........No more Pontiac motors except for the years that a 4cyl was offered in a Firebird. Crap tons built. Given the label of the "Car of the Mullet Militia" (I proudly had one into the early 2000s lol). This generation appeals mostly to those that grew up during this time.

4th gens........Faster. The LS motor gets better reception from many of the Poncho guys compared to a "SBC" in a Pontiac, which I get, but GM made that impossible in 1982 lol

Old 2 Days Ago   #12
JonBlake

Quote:
They aren't considered to be the most sought after..........

1st and 2nd gens.......classic styling and Pontiac motors, sans the Olds 403 and few 305 Chevys in some late second gens. Fetching ridiculous money

3rd gens........No more Pontiac motors except for the years that a 4cyl was offered in a Firebird. Crap tons built. Given the label of the "Car of the Mullet Militia" (I proudly had one into the early 2000s lol). This generation appeals mostly to those that grew up during this time.

4th gens........Faster. The LS motor gets better reception from many of the Poncho guys compared to a "SBC" in a Pontiac, which I get, but GM made that impossible in 1982 lol
I didn't know that about the engines in the 3rd gens.

"Mullet Militia" .... LOL I'm picturing Bud Bundy...
Old 2 Days Ago   #13
GTABill

Quote:
I didn't know that about the engines in the 3rd gens.

"Mullet Militia" .... LOL I'm picturing Bud Bundy...
Yeppers...........GM ceased production of Pontiac engines in the F-body Pontiacs except for the 2.5 "Iron Duke" 4 cylinder starting in 82. I had that same engine in a Grand Am while I was in high school........darn near bulletproof. I am of the opinion that, so as not to hurt the Chevy name, specifically the Camaro and Corvette, GM decided to cut the Pontiac engine program in the Pontiac F-body to "cut costs". When you look back at the history of the Trans Am, Pontiac power was smoking Chevy and even Vettes in the late 70s and I would assume taking a good chunk of their sales. How many mid to late 2nd gen Camaros and Vettes do you see pulling big numbers at auction or online? There are some but not nearly the amount of 2nd gen TAs and Firebirds. See the conspiracy theory I'm throwing out there lol? But all of this, to me anyway, leads into why the 3rd gen Pontiac F-body doesn't get the recognition and respect that it should even though it was a much better all around performer than the mustangs at the time.....again, my opinion.

Old 2 Days Ago   #14
DynoDave

The plan during 3rd gen development was for the Pontiac to have a Pontiac engine. The Trans Am with the offset hood bulge/blister was styled that way to create clearance for the turbo 301 Pontiac engine. While no terror at 200 horse, it made strong torque...as much as a TPI 350...and would have put the top Chevy engine of 1982...the CrossFire 305 with 165 horse....to shame. In the lighter body, it would likely have outrun the Vette, which is always aVERY SERIOUS no-no in GM. Protecting Chevrolet and it's image is job 1 with the General. So at the 11th hour, they kill Pontiac V8 production (and the Buick V8 as well), and Pontiac has 2 choices. Source a V8 from Cadillac or Olds, or share an SBC with the Camaro. Olds has a 307, which makes less power than the LG4 carbed 305 SBC (which isn't saying too much), and the Cadillac engines of the day had no compelling virtues either. With these choices, and the bean counters (I'm sure) wanting common powertrains in the assembly plants, it was SBC power for the Firebird.

There was a lot of consternation among GM buyers at the time, as GM tried to rebrand the SBC, which had been the pride of Chevrolet engineering and Ed Cole since it's intro in 1955, and sell the public on the idea that this was now a "corporate engine". It may seem funny to us now, but for people that grew up in the 30s/40s/50s/60s, and were constantly bombarded with ads beaming with pride from each GM division bragging about it's engines, well, it's was all a but much. So acceptance from some buyers was not strong.

By the time of the LS family of engines, GM had been selling shared, corporate powertrains for several decades, and the concept was no longer a foreign one to buyers.

I get the feelings of the older buyers, and wish my 3rd gen had a Pontiac engine. But being a little younger, I really don't have a ton of heartburn of SBC power.

That said, there is a company that rebuilds 301Ts to make 350ish horse, and over 500 pound feet of torque, still with a carb and no intercooler. That would be a hoot to drive!
POCI #72200
DynoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #15
JonBlake

Hey DynoDave,

That piece was so well written, had me wanting to read more. Thanks for the information, most of which I never knew until now.
Old 1 Day Ago   #16
DynoDave

Thanks Jon. I wasn't there, just repeating what I have read. But I'm glad you enjoyed it, as I'm taking over as the editor of our Pontiac Oakland Club International (POCI) Chapter #16 Widetrackers newsletter this fall. I've got to get my writing chops in order!

If you want more, check this out. It includes some real and estimated performance numbers, and is pretty well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iovohEChv10
POCI #72200
DynoDave is offline   Reply With Quote