Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
Dinero
Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis, Frater Infinitas

2 in - 2 out muffler

So here is a photo of the 2 in-2 out 3" Pypes Pro Racing muffler Would have to Y out before the axle, drop it over the axle and in to the other Inlet. Was wondering if this would make any difference in power or MPG? This is just a general question to see of anyone has ever replaced their original mufferl with one like this. Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08021.jpg (178.9 KB, 6 views)
Dinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
89-5.7GTA
Tony

GTA Year: 1989
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: 2 in - 2 out muffler

I have not seen anything about this type of muffler in all of my reading on these cars and having owned one 10 years. I think, from memory, there is just enough room for one exhaust pipe to fit over the rear axle. Maybe it could be done, I am not sure. Even with all of the fabrication required it may not result in any significant performance increase, at least on a stock motor.
89-5.7GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
86TA355SR

Talking Re: 2 in - 2 out muffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero View Post
So here is a photo of the 2 in-2 out 3" Pypes Pro Racing muffler Would have to Y out before the axle, drop it over the axle and in to the other Inlet. Was wondering if this would make any difference in power or MPG? This is just a general question to see of anyone has ever replaced their original mufferl with one like this. Thank you
Having done something similar in the past, I'd recommend you forget the idea and go with a nice kit designed for the car. First, you won't have clearance issues, worry about hitting bumps and the rear end crushing a pipe, etc.

I spent a lot of time trying to make true duals work, tried your idea, and went back to the single exhaust. It worked the best.

Now, in all honesty, I didn't use a kit per say. I did use a nice mandrel bent intermediate pipe over the axle, then used a 'race muffler' ie, you could see straight through it. Driving the car was blast with that simple mod due to the sound. I loved it. Sounded awesome, especially when the super charger was added.

Another great highlight-no one will have a car that sounds like yours.
86TA355SR is offline   Reply With Quote