Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 06-16-2004   #1
8T9GTA
GTA Member

Moving Emblems

My GTA was repainted by the previous owner. It's a really good paint job but the only problem is the fender emblems are incorectly placed they are too close to the door and molding strip. I know no one can tell or knows they are misplaced except people like us that really know GTAs, but it still bothers me. I want to move them to the correct location but am afraid that if I pry them off I will take off/ruin the paint job. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks,

Tom
8T9GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004   #2
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Moving Emblems

I have the same problem and I am gonna take mine to a reputable body shop.
I am juuuuusssst toooo scared to do it myself.So, thats what I recommend.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004   #3
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Hello there,

If it is a very good paint job, I would do what fearthisGTA recommend. If paint job is not prepared good, the paint may come off with the tape when you pull emblem off which is not a good thing.

However, if you still want to try, they come off pretty easy because only nose emblem is held on with bolt. The side ones are tape only. I have taken mine off a few times before during repaintings. First time I used slightly bent butter knife to cut through the tape. But this way is only recommended if you plan to repaint fender - it is very hard not to scratch the paint under the emblem this way which in your case, would be strongly NOT recommended.

Second way I did it was very good. I got piece of nylon fishing line - 20 pound test, perhaps two feet of it. Wrap each end around a metal loop like what are on key chains. Then I slip the fishing line between the underside of the emblem and fender. It works best when you have another person to help. While you are pulling the fishing line through the tape and at the same time "sawing" up and down, the second person can hold the emblem in place with one or two fingers. This is so when you completely pull the fishing line through the tape and the emblem becomes detached, the emblem does not fall onto the ground and get chip or damaged from hitting ground.

First thing you do is pull the piece of fishing line tight like you are trying to stretch it like a rubber band. Then bring the line to the tape between the emblem and the tape. While you are pulling the fishing line through the emblem tape, pull sort of outward about 85 degree angle away from the fender while you are doing it. This is so you do not run nylon fishing line across paint under the emblem.

One important thing I learn from removing emblems myself. They bend really easy and when they bend, the clear surface on the emblems crack really badly. I cracked the first one I removed from my GTA and that was the driver side sail bird emblem. I cracked it because I pulled on one of the bird wing edges to separate it from the car. The emblem came off but while pulling it, the emblem bend alittle bit which cause the clear surface of the outer side of the emblem to crack a lot.

So there is my experiences removing emblems. If you want to be safe, take it to autobody shop. If you want to try it, take my advices and perhaps think of a few I may have not listed. And the biggest thing to remember, go slow, take it easy. If in a hurry, stuff may go wrong. Good luck. Yumiko

Last edited by gtayumiko; 06-17-2004 at 09:05 AM.
gtayumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004   #4
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988

This method has always worked for me... I've never bent an emblem yet. Feel free to copy it and use at your discretion if you like.

1) Mask all the way around each emblem as close as possible with good masking tape (this will help keep scratches down to nil). Multiple layers are recommended.

2) Get a good plastic putty knife to pry the badges loose (a metal one will work but you're more prone to scratch with it....)

3) Grab your favorite Vidal Sassoon or Conair hair dryer, and head out to the car....

4) On low heat, heat up the emblem for a couple of minutes... then begin a slow and steady pressure on either the top or bottom of the emblem with the putty knife. Do NOT pry from the side... that makes the fender emblems much more susceptable to warp or bend.

5) It should not take much pressure to loosen the emblems, then discard the knife and continue applying pressure pulling the emblem slowly away from the fender, top to bottom. The emblem should turn loose in about a minute or so, depending on how hot the adhesive has gotten on the backside.

6) Take your fingers and "roll" off the adhesive that is left on the fender, get some 3M (or equivalent) adhesive remover to clean up the left-over glue, and you're done...

** The sail panel birds use the same procedure, but it's easiest to pry from the bottom of the emblem (the tail feathers)...

** The nose panel emblem is, again, the same procedure... but don't forget to remove the barrel nut underneath (on 87-90 models only) before trying to pry it loose.

Good luck!

I have full color diagrams for the correct emblem locations available if you wish to use them for the reapplication.... I can send them via email.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004   #5
8T9GTA
GTA Member

Thanks for the info on how to remove my fender emblems. I guess now my question is once the emblems are off how do I reattach them?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 06-17-2004   #6
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Wink Re: Moving Emblems

I use some really good double sided tape from 3M. It took me long time but I cut out the excessive tape so when attaching to car, you do not see the tape.

Frankie, I never thought about using my blow dryer for anything other than on my hair, sounds like your way is perhaps the best one. I will try it if I need to remove my emblems again. Yumiko
Old 06-17-2004   #7
GTA_JOE

Someone was selling die cut trim tape cut to the exact sizes of the various GTA emblems about a week ago on ebay.
GTA_JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004   #8
GTA_JOE

Here is one of the listings. Im sure you can contact the seller about buying whatever you need..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33643
GTA_JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004   #9
TX_1987_GTA
GTA Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA_JOE
Here is one of the listings. Im sure you can contact the seller about buying whatever you need..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33643
I believe CAR Motorsports sells the die cut tape. You can also achieve the same effect with a roll of 3M emblem tape and an exacto knife & a little careful time trimming them out.

Top of Texas Trans Am Club of Amarillo ( 2010 President )
http://www.transamclubofamarillo.com/

1981 Turbo Trans Am
1987 GTA Trans Am Hardtop 5.7 T.P.I. ( 90000 miles )
1989 GTA/TTA, 20th Anniversary, Indy Pace Car, #402 ( 35000 miles )

1989 Formula T-Top 5.7 T.P.I. " SOLD "
1991 GTA Trans Am Hardtop 5.7 T.P.I. " SOLD "
2000 Ram Air Trans Am LS1 Auto " The EX got it! "
2002 Ram Air Trans Am LS1 6 Speed ( 13700 miles ) " SOLD "
TX_1987_GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004   #10
8T9GTA
GTA Member

Thanks for all your help,

Tom
Old 06-18-2004   #11
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988

That's what we're all here for, Tom. Good luck!

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004   #12
janlarsson
F-Body Member

You can get the die cut 3M tape from CarMotorsports, I used it for my 1989 Turbo Trans Am and it worked well and made life so much easier than trying to cut your own stuff. Well worth the money. Just give them a call and they will sort you out.

1989 TTA #1078 - 1 of 3 in the UK
janlarsson is offline   Reply With Quote