Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Old 07-31-2010   #1
WorkinProgress

Greetings and 87 GTA Question...

Hello all! Bought my GTA a few weeks back and have since visited this site dozens of times to answer questions, and just get educated. My knowledge has grown a lot. Thanks for speeding up the learning curve for me! You rock!!

Now, onto the question...

My ride is an 87, 350, 5.7, TPI and all original..as far as I can tell. What throws me is it's black on black but w/ an external gold stripe around the bottom of the body molding. This encircles the car and appears original as it's faded...to be expected of a car of this year. The car also has the original gold spoke wheels and caps. From research I've done I've ascertained that there were around 5000 of the black on black 5.7 GTA's made in 87, but can't find ANY info about the gold external stripe around the bottom. Was this a special order car or ?

I bought the car from the original owner. He included the original bill of sale, window sticker, etc w/ the sale, and obviously cared for the car very well as the only thing wrong w/ it is the clear coat peeling and, of course, the rear spoiler splitting and peeling. Both to be corrected this winter.

Pics will be forthcoming as soon as my 11yr old daughter shows me how to get em off my phone and onto my puter

Thanks gang!

~Mike...
WorkinProgress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010   #2
WorkinProgress

Re: Greetings and 87 GTA Question (additional info)

Car has the following:

Auto Trans
140mph speedo
Power windows, locks, drivers and passenger seat adjust.
Has a plaque sticker thing (don't know how else to describe it) on lower R corner of passenger dash saying "Performance Suspension."
Hard top, not T top.
According to window sticker, car was purchased new in Everett, Washington in 1987. And according to vin research, car was built in Van Nuys, CA.

Don't know if any of this info is needed, but thought I'd throw it in...just in case.

Thanks again!
Old 08-01-2010   #3
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Greetings and 87 GTA Question...

There are no known, public, records to answer how many GTAs came equipped with X, X, X and X (replace X with any equipment/options/features). The exception to this is if the vehicle is 1990 or newer, or Canadian.

Frankie was fortunate to review records for some of the GTA production, but even those don't answer "combination" questions.

You indicated you found there was around 5000 of the black on black 5.7 GTA's made in 1987. I'm curious as to the source of that information as I have some doubts on the accuracy of that information due to the above. Please understand this is no offense meant, and instead, we're trying to assist you through knowledge!

That said, there was no factory option for a gold stripe. This was most likely a dealer installed item.

To be completely honest, you will not be able to find an answer to this question as the item you're inquiring about was not a factory option, and thus, will have no records of on a global scale, and likely not even on a dealership scale. It was not uncommon for dealers to "dress up" a vehicle, in the day, to attract additional attention in order to move more cars.

We like seeing nice GTAs and would welcome you post some pictures of your new vehicle. Congrats on the purchase.
Old 08-01-2010   #4
cody1989GTA
89' 350 TPI mustang killer

GTA Year: 1989

the stripe is interesting, as jeremy said it had to be some kind of dress up. I was thinking that the black on black was more rare than 5,000. But could be wrong. cant wait to see some pics, black on black( nothing more sexy)

Flame Red Metallic
350 TPI
Leather seats
4 speed auto
cody1989GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010   #5
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

GTA Year: 1988

According to Frankie's information for 1987 production figures:
http://www.gtasourcepage.com/87RPOFigures.html

There was 5,092 1987 GTA and Trans Ams that came with black exterior.

Remember that, unlike all other GTA years, the production figures that Frankie has posted for 1987 include both GTA and Trans AM.

Thus, you can expect there was fewer than 5,092 1987 black GTAs and fewer than 5,092 1987 black GTAs with black interior.
Old 08-01-2010   #6
WorkinProgress

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies!

Please understand this is no offense meant, and instead, we're trying to assist you through knowledge! No worries Jeremy. I know your trying to help. I'd be pretty shallow to take offense to that

Thanks for all the answers thus far gang. I would imagine it is just a dress up item. Gonna repaint it original colors and keep interior the same. Plan on putting cold air intake, flowmaster 3" exhaust, and maybe chip it.

Ya Cody, Black on Black is sexxxxy! But hotter n hell in August, so I'll tint the windows.

But that's it. And I'll keep all original parts to put back on just incase it's worth a bazillion dollars in the future (not likely).

My wife divorced me 3 wks ago and decided it's time to car shop for myself for a change. She can keep the mini van, time for a muscle car again! LOL

I'll post some pics in the next day or 2
Old 08-01-2010   #7
EODsmitty

GTA Year: 1989

I think I remeber Frankie saying that some dealerships added stripes for dress up as stripes werent a factory option. Dont quote me, I suffer from CRS (Cant Remeber S@#T) LOL

Smitty
Old 08-01-2010   #8
Wes

I havent been to a dealership that didnt offer pinstriping and I have never heard of any manufacturer offering factory pinstriping.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010   #9
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Exactly where is the gold color on the exterior on the car that you are talking about? How wide is the stripe? Is it painted on or is it sort of like taped on? I would be interested to see photographs, especially if you can scan a photograph of the window sticker.

Yumiko
Old 08-01-2010   #10
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

Yea its a dearlership thing!! trust me I done a boat load of them
87bucketgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #11
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991

My car had a gold pin stripe on it, but I removed it shortly after. I am not a fan of those types of pin strips.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011   #12
speeedy27
87GTA

Old post but, I too have a black on black, cool! I guess its more rare than I thought.