Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 03-29-2006   #1
firehawk35

More fuel pump issues..

I know there are a ton of threads about fuel pumps and I think I have read them all and am still confused. And Need a lil more help.
OK.. my 88 GTA's pump runs sometimes and sometimes not. Pump will not prime when its cold. Shot of starting fluid, and it fires right up and if it stalls I can hear the pump spin up with pressure and it will fire right up and run fine. If I shut it off after running awhile it will still start right back up. ( I assume from pressure still in the line) I have replaced the relay ( cleaned the contacts well ) checked the fuse. replace the sensor by the oil filter. I even replace the ECM with a new one just in case. ( found a hyper chip street runner in it ) pump will not run pluging power into the ALDL plug. My next job is to plug directly into the pump wires. Can anyone tell me what color wire runs where? And If ANYONE has ANY more ideas what could be happening .
Old 03-30-2006   #2
LrdNexus
F-Body Member

Re: More fuel pump issues..

Sure the pumps just not bad? Mine seems to get intermediate fuel pressure and we've checked everything...so next step is to replace the fuel pump.
LrdNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006   #3
twobirds
Mile High Thirdgens.

Sounds like it's time to drop the tank and replace the fuel pump.
twobirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #4
firehawk35

I am thinkin the same thing but was hoping for a easier answer..lol. as I live in apts and the landlords dont like ANY working your autos. So I take it a pump can run sometimes and sometimes not?? I figured It either worked or didnt.
Old 04-01-2006   #5
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: Custom

sounds like a failing pump, i'd replace it.
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
MunsonGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #6
Gerry
Retired Network Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk35
Can anyone tell me what color wire runs where?
Looking at my '89 manual, the 305 and 350's fuel pump relay, pin A, a tan and white wire, is the 'hot' lead going back to the fuel pump.

Attach a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail, disconnect the fuel pump relay harness and use a jumper wire between the + side of the battery and Pin A ( tan / white ) wire on the relay pigtail.

You should hear the pump, you should see it build up pressure to about 40-44 psi.

If you don't hear the pump, you have a wiring problem or a bad pump. If you don't get at least 35 psi, I'd say your fuel filter is could be plugged.

Hope this helps.

Gerry-

http://www.gmassie.net/l98gta
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #7
firehawk35

ok I have applied power direct to the pump under the car... And low and behold pump is still quite. Guess I'm am replacing the pump.. Thanks for all the advice everyone.. Ill let you all know how it goes
Old 04-08-2006   #8
firehawk35

Just wanted to let everyone know my progress. Decided to replace pump with a new AC delco one. Tested it before final install, worked great. after installing pump I was ready to hear that pump prime.. Yea you guessed it.. Turned the key and nothing.. pump was silent. After banging my head on the sidewalk many times I went back to the relay. had already changed it twice and cleaned plug real well. Decided to change plug as wires leading to it plug looked a lil rough but had tested good. Went to junk yard and found a plug in great shape, after splicing in new plug pump has primed everytime .... Go figure . Not sure what was wrong with the plug but it works now and that is what counts.. Thanks again all..
Old 04-08-2006   #9
george88gta

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk35
Just wanted to let everyone know my progress. Decided to replace pump with a new AC delco one. Tested it before final install, worked great. after installing pump I was ready to hear that pump prime.. Yea you guessed it.. Turned the key and nothing.. pump was silent. After banging my head on the sidewalk many times I went back to the relay. had already changed it twice and cleaned plug real well. Decided to change plug as wires leading to it plug looked a lil rough but had tested good. Went to junk yard and found a plug in great shape, after splicing in new plug pump has primed everytime .... Go figure . Not sure what was wrong with the plug but it works now and that is what counts.. Thanks again all..
Just a thought on this. It may have been corrosion in the connector. GM uses tin plated contacts and they can corrode. Whenever I unplug a connector, for the first time, I put some silicone dielectric/spark plug boot release grease, in the female contacts. Then plug the connector a few times to clean the corrosion and spread out the grease. This will prevent future corrosion and some of those annoying intermittant electrical problems.
george88gta is offline   Reply With Quote