Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 04-04-2006   #21
Baldassano
1991 Trans-Am GTA

Re: BAD oil leak on 91

Here are some pics of what im lookin at:

Http://members.aol.com/baldassano/gta/oil1.jpg
Http://members.aol.com/baldassano/gta/oil2.jpg

I am very scared right now. If this is somethin major, I dont have that much cash to fix it right now.
Baldassano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #22
gtayumiko
GTA Member

So was this picture of oil filter taken after all the oil came out? If so, I would doubt that it is the cooler because the oil filter does not have any oil on it. And I hate to say it, but I just got done talking to my friend from GM Dealership on the phone and they no longer have any more coolers available. Not even a replacement part. So got to get one from wrecking yard if it is bad. Or just remove it and some way bypass the coolant hoses to that area. Wow, I may look for one now from wrecking yard for myself in case of problems. At least I know these coolers are made from I think brass materials so they will not corrode too fast. Yumiko
Old 04-04-2006   #23
Baldassano
1991 Trans-Am GTA

I dont think the cooler itself is bad, its something above it in that housing... That cooler is nothing but a water channel, and Yes this is after it leaked... You dont see the filter soaked cause all the oil was brand new...

I guarantee its something above that housing that under pressure is causing the seal to leak uncontrollably. If you look at the picture the oil cooler is drenched in oil from above it (the camera got a better shot then we did when we were under the car fixing it)... There is no anti freeze leak, so the cooler is working, but something above it has to be leaking the oil out from the seal.
Old 04-04-2006   #24
Baldassano
1991 Trans-Am GTA

Again the strange thing is here... why would it not have leaked ater we fixed it (thought we did) on sunday, after running the car for a good hour... Revving it to about 3000 rpm's , no issue, completely dry...

Then it sits for 1 day..

Start it up, rev it to 2000 rpm, and Boom... I got the damn Exxon Valdeez in the driveway...
Old 04-04-2006   #25
ZZ4GTAMan

I think the problem has to be in that gasket (from the cooler to the block)

Mike

Check Out My Pics
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...&a=31781797&f=
ZZ4GTAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #26
ZZ4GTAMan

Hey man, just thought of something. It is a longshot, but I have seen this a few times. On some cars like 1998 Chevrolet Malibus, etc... the oil pump has like a regulator on it. I have seen this go bad, and allow way to much oil pressure. In this case it will blow out the weakest part. We had about two weeks ago a guy come in for an oil change with 1998 Malibu. he left our place fine. Well about 2 months and 2000 miles later he was driving and lost all his oil. He was saying to us that he could see the oil filter gasket bulging out and that he lost all his oil from it. He said we double gasketed his filter. Well we knew better. There is no way the car would have gone 2000 miles without a major leak with a double gasket. We told him not to touch it, and had it towed to our mechanic. We had the filter pulled off right in front of us. There was no double gasket. So the mechanic put a new filter on, filled the turd with oil, started it up and after about 30 seconds blew the gasket right out the side of the filter in front of the guy and us. Long story short, the oil pump in that car has a built in regulator of some sort on it, and it went bad. This made the oil pressure way to high, which in turn blew out the weakest part (the oil filter gasket). Not sure on your car, but I figured I would share that with you. But then again, when you and your Dad worked on the car you said that the cooler was not on right. So I think the problem is there. Try to put a new gasket/o-ring on the cooler to the block, line it up perfect and start over. There might be a nick, or split, etc on that gasket that when under pressure opens up and you are losing oil. Well, enough of rambling your ear off. Just trying to help. good luck man. Let us know.
Later
Mike

Check Out My Pics

Last edited by ZZ4GTAMan; 04-04-2006 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-04-2006   #27
Baldassano
1991 Trans-Am GTA

The gasket could be correct... See I noticed a Cut in the bottom of the gasket, both dad and I didnt think much of it becasue the surface of the gasket was fine, but the cut is about hmmm maybe 1cm long, and circular... almost as if you were cutting a peice of cantelope, that shape.. hte not missing, but you can bend it out and break the seal with it. That *Could* be the cause...

Now as far as oil pressure goes, the oil pressure gauge on that car has always freaked out, from slammin on the right side of it, to jumpin around like a bean, i figured the oil pressure switch was goin bad.

I mean you see the carnage, that car ran for not even 2 minutes... Literally... and I lost all 5 liters of Castrol.
Old 04-05-2006   #28
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

What I would do is this get the car in the air or at least the front end. Clean the area thats soaked with oil. wipe it down go and get some Castrol GTX 10w30 or what ever just cheap oil. Fill it back up, get beside the car on the ground, BUT NOT UNDER THE CAR!! have someone crank it up. You maybe able to see where its comming from then. Oh nad it wouldnt hurt to have a long telescopic mirror to aid in looking along with plenty of light.HTH

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #29
Baldassano
1991 Trans-Am GTA

Yes, were lookin at saturday morning if the weather is good. My dad is a retired mechanic so he has ALL the tools we could ever need. He is gonna bring his big hydraulic jack, which can get the car almost 4 ft in the air. Im gonna change that gasket on the top of the: OIL FILTER SANDWICH ADAPTER (That is the official name of that part)..

I just bought one off ebay for a whopping $5 plus shipping (incase its bad) and i found a few corvette dealers who have them in stock at aroud $75-$150 used. Just incase.
Old 04-05-2006   #30
gtayumiko
GTA Member

When I rebuild my engine, I did not replace the oil cooler because it was very expensive part. I did however replace just the rubber gasket which is between the oil cooler and the engine block. This part was pretty cheap and it is available from dealership (in case you wanted to purchase it).

As for the oil pump, I did not see any regulator on the pump itself when we had my GTA engine disassembled. The pump has four bolts at the bottom above strainer and inlet. Inside pump is two gears which when spinning makes the suction which pulls in oil. The oil pump had a drive shaft that then goes up to the cam shaft and it is driven by a gear there. Perhaps if someone were to put in a high volume oil pump, that would perhaps cause excessive oil pressure. But the stock oil pump only has gears inside, no regulator, and is driven by the spinning cam shaft only, a drive shaft connects the movement of the cam shaft to the oil pump. Yumiko
Old 04-05-2006   #31
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtayumiko
When I rebuild my engine, I did not replace the oil cooler because it was very expensive part. I did however replace just the rubber gasket which is between the oil cooler and the engine block. This part was pretty cheap and it is available from dealership (in case you wanted to purchase it).

As for the oil pump, I did not see any regulator on the pump itself when we had my GTA engine disassembled. The pump has four bolts at the bottom above strainer and inlet. Inside pump is two gears which when spinning makes the suction which pulls in oil. The oil pump had a drive shaft that then goes up to the cam shaft and it is driven by a gear there. Perhaps if someone were to put in a high volume oil pump, that would perhaps cause excessive oil pressure. But the stock oil pump only has gears inside, no regulator, and is driven by the spinning cam shaft only, a drive shaft connects the movement of the cam shaft to the oil pump. Yumiko

You are correct sbc op's do not have regulators in or on them. They do however a hp spring that can be put in place of teh stock one. HTH

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #32
ZZ4GTAMan

Yeah, I wasn't sure about our cars (as far as a regulator goes on the oil pump) Just thought I would mention it since some of the newer cars do have this.
Take care
Mike

Check Out My Pics
Old 04-05-2006   #33
gtayumiko
GTA Member

My friend tell me yesterday that the way newer cars are (I am not so sure which make and models) but the oil is sent into the radiator just like it is on our GTA with the automatic transmission fluids going through the radiator. Just thought that was interesting to share with you, so you can expect this design if you have not seen it yet already. Yumiko