Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 04-16-2010   #1
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Fixed my digital dash, question.

So today I took off my dashpad to fix a rattle that developed after the last time I took it off to mess with the speakers. I figured I might as well fix replace the bulb behind the odometer, and re plug in my message center. I have never seen the odometer lit up before today, its been light less since I bought it, and I un plugged the message center because it was pissing me off telling me there was something wrong when there wasn't when I went over a big enough bump. It wasn't hard to do, just time consuming because you have to remove the whole digital cluster from the car to replace the odometer bulb. I got the new bulb in and everything plugged in again, and it looks and works great. I have one question though, the buttons that are on the side of the odometer don't light up. Are they supposed to be this way, and if they are not how do you replace them? where do you get the bulbs from? I took them off and didn't see a way to open them up. thanks

pics my lit up dash!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_0776.jpg (149.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 102_0780.JPG (894.1 KB, 48 views)

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
BigBadGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010   #2
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

Re: Fixed my digital dash, question.

Oh I figured out the light for the buttons! I don't think this dash was meant to be taken apart to change them out though. It kinda sucked getting the little thing out were it was. I will take pictures tomorrow so you guys know what I'm talking about, but I soon will have a 100% totally functional dash!

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 04-17-2010   #3
Y84
Administrator

Does your oil pressure gauge work? Service Engine Soon light is on and low voltage, so assuming the engine isn't running. You should see the oil pressure gauge pointer sitting on the bottom, red, bar. I don't see it there, but do see the red placeholder.

By the way, the system will beep if the oil pressure pointer drops into the red zone for low oil pressure, as well as if the engine coolant temperature goes up into the red zone.
Y84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010   #4
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

Yes, The oil gauge works great! Just one other thing I was going to ask. On my odometer when it is displaying mileage which on my car is 84,434 miles the bottom segment of the 8 doesn't show up. Is there anything I can do about this? thanks!

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 04-17-2010   #5
Corp Z

GTA Year: 1987

How long does it take to get at the bulb. My Odometer also needs a bulb change. Any advice on where to start dissasembly?
Corp Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010   #6
Y84
Administrator

Is the oil pressure gauge pointer sitting on the last red bar? I don't see it in the pictures. If you have an open circuit, the point won't be shown as it will be above the top scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadGTA View Post
Yes, The oil gauge works great! Just one other thing I was going to ask. On my odometer when it is displaying mileage which on my car is 84,434 miles the bottom segment of the 8 doesn't show up. Is there anything I can do about this? thanks!
Old 04-17-2010   #7
Steveh4263
1987 Pontiac Trans AM GTA

I read on thirdgen.org that someone replaced the bulbs with LED's.
Old 04-17-2010   #8
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y84 View Post
Is the oil pressure gauge pointer sitting on the last red bar? I don't see it in the pictures. If you have an open circuit, the point won't be shown as it will be above the top scale.
I just went out and looked at it and the point does not appear to be in the red on the bottom with the engine off. When I turn the engine on though, the pointer goes to about 45psi. Anything wrong?

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 04-17-2010   #9
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corp Z View Post
How long does it take to get at the bulb. My Odometer also needs a bulb change. Any advice on where to start dissasembly?

It sucks to get at the bulb. To get to it you have to remove the whole cluster from the car for clearance to fit your hand back there to grab it. This requires removal of the dash pad, the black trim piece under the map pocket, the trim piece around the odometer and message center with the vents, and the gray bezel that goes around the headlamp switches. Then there are four bolts that hold in the cluster on each corner of it, remove them and pull out and it should slide out enough so you can get your hand behind it. The bulb sits in a base that turns and locks into place behind the odometer, it will come out with the bulb. The new bulb I used was a 12 volt sylvainia halogen bulb that said it was for high mounted stop lamps on the box but it was the only one that was the same style as the bulb that I pulled out of the dash. That bad boy was 10 bucks.. You might want to replace the bulbs in the message center as well as the switches if they are out like I did. All in all it took me maybe 3 or four hours total between yesterday night and today and 3 trips to the auto parts store as I noticed more and more bulbs out on the dash.

pictures of the completed put back together product, next on the agenda is to re dye the steering wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_0787.jpg (699.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 102_0783.jpg (281.5 KB, 45 views)

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK

Last edited by BigBadGTA; 04-17-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-17-2010   #10
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

I was going to say too, that having all this stuff in there working perfectly makes me want to put in the factory radio lol. I got it with the car, and it works great. It would be neat to be able to use the steering wheel controls.

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 04-17-2010   #11
Y84
Administrator

The pointer should be on the bottom, red, area for 0 oil pressure with the engine off. The fact that the pointer isn't even registering when the engine is off shows an issue. The pointer can go off the scale when the oil pressure is higher than the gauge can indicate, but if the oil pressure is 0, it should be at the red, bottom, zone.

Without my shop manual handy to recall if the sending unit is a two wire or single wire, I'll have to hold on advising. I'll get back to you if no one else does.

When the circuit is grounded, it should be in the red, bottom, zone for 0 oil pressure. You either have a bad gauge, circuit issue, or a sending unit issue.

Quote:
I just went out and looked at it and the point does not appear to be in the red on the bottom with the engine off. When I turn the engine on though, the pointer goes to about 45psi. Anything wrong?
Old 04-17-2010   #12
Rodimus_Prime

ohhh and it has a digital dash also, i think you have the perfect GTA

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82
2007 Cobalt SS G85, Harrop 1320LSJ 75MM, 298hp 254tq
Rodimus_Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #13
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

Y84, that would be awesome If you could thanks alot man!

Rodimus, thanks a lot man!

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 04-18-2010   #14
ThunderChicken
Hoarder

Quote:
I was going to say too, that having all this stuff in there working perfectly makes me want to put in the factory radio lol. I got it with the car, and it works great. It would be neat to be able to use the steering wheel controls.
I can say it's pretty neat to be able to use those controls. It's also kind of frustrating driving down the road and NOT being able to find a button ON the radio. The things are complicated, but yes, it does get a lot of "oh cool!!" comments.

Click here for Firebird Fest of the Carolinas Information!!
ThunderChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #15
Corp Z

Quote:
It sucks to get at the bulb. To get to it you have to remove the whole cluster from the car for clearance to fit your hand back there to grab it. This requires removal of the dash pad, the black trim piece under the map pocket, the trim piece around the odometer and message center with the vents, and the gray bezel that goes around the headlamp switches. Then there are four bolts that hold in the cluster on each corner of it, remove them and pull out and it should slide out enough so you can get your hand behind it. The bulb sits in a base that turns and locks into place behind the odometer, it will come out with the bulb. The new bulb I used was a 12 volt sylvainia halogen bulb that said it was for high mounted stop lamps on the box but it was the only one that was the same style as the bulb that I pulled out of the dash. That bad boy was 10 bucks.. You might want to replace the bulbs in the message center as well as the switches if they are out like I did. All in all it took me maybe 3 or four hours total between yesterday night and today and 3 trips to the auto parts store as I noticed more and more bulbs out on the dash.

pictures of the completed put back together product, next on the agenda is to re dye the steering wheel.
Thanks for the explanation. I think I will tackle the job now.
Old 04-20-2010   #16
88 GTA

Quote:

There is another way (I believe) you can take off the odometer trim cover and you can remove the LCD screen. I removed the trip. miles/KM button stack 1st (not sure this is a necessary step (don't believe so) The LCD screen just pulls out, then you should be able to reach the bulb that is behind it.
Be very careful and pull gently and super careful to replace it, just push it back on making sure to line up every pin (these are pretty big and they are many) Sorry I didn't take pics at the time I removed mine, I was trying to take the odometer right out.
88 GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #17
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

I don't know If I would do it that way. I looked at doing it that way at first as well, I started pulling out on the screen and the little pins were bending too much for my liking. If one of those things broke off you would be royally ----ed I would think..

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 04-20-2010   #18
Corp Z

I dont suppose you have any pictures of the dissasembly ?
Old 04-21-2010   #19
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

Sorry corpz I didn't take any pictures of the thing taken apart. If you have any questions or anything I can PM you my phone number so you can give me a call if you get stuck.

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 04-25-2010   #20
Corp Z

Well I tackled this job on the weekend and dissasembled the digital dash. It wasnt as hard as I thought, and is straight forward if you keep track of which fastners came from where. Unfortunatley when I got to the bulb it was not burned out. The filament was still in the middle and there was no telltale signs of burned glass. I imagine that it may be an issue with the surface it plugs into and recieves its power from. If anyones thinking of doing this job its not hard at all. Just be prepared to devote a few hours to carfully removing everything and gently putting it back together.