Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2015   #1
trickis1127

1988 GTA Transmission shift issues

Hi all. Spent the last couple nights reading through all the posts on the forum about transmission issues, I've got one and I'm hoping for some advice. Car has been sitting for the past couple years we just did restoration brought it back to life had the fluids topped off but did not change fluid and filter yet. When driving cold it would shift very hard from 1st to 2nd and then 2nd to 3rd. After about five minutes once it warmed up it shifted perfectly nice and smooth nice and quiet. Yesterday we did drop the pan,change the filter brand-new fluid and cleaned everything up put it back together. Drove it for about 20 or 30 minutes and it was beautiful shifting great everything was fine . All of the sudden after a light turned green started driving and it would not shift into second gear, winding out in first very high RPMs and won't kick to second gear. We didn't hear any noises, doesn't sound like anything broke so I'm extremely confused how it could go from perfect to not shifting anymore. Will take a closer look at the TV cable today but it seems fine and like I said was working perfectly for about 20 or 30 minutes also rechecked the fluid levels those are fine as well. Pulled out the governor the plastic gears seem intact no other obvious damage to that. Could really use some advice on something we may have overlooked. Thanks so much for your help !
trickis1127 is offline   Reply With Quote