Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 05-09-2001   #1
REMOVED USER

Sound Systems?

Was wondering what other people are useing for sound systems in their gta's ... and if anyone has had any luck put a "stealth" type subwoofer in ... I'm running an alpine cd player with eclipse 3-way 6x9's and 2 JLw3's running off a 1200 watt 4 channel but I don't like the way it sounds that much ... let me know what your running ... and if you got any pics that would be sweet too.

Gaillen

Gaillen@yahoo.com
Old 05-09-2001   #2
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Sound Systems?

Gaillen, right now I'm still running the ultra-high standard OEM sound system in all of my GTAs..... LOL! One with the UQ7 subs, one without. I don't plan on hitting any sound competitions with either of my current setups.

I aspire to greater hi-fi things, but just haven't gotten around to doing anything about those aspirations.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001   #3
REMOVED USER

I've got a new Sony single cd deck with 52x4 watts per channel. It's hooked up to Infinity Kappa 4x6 plates (which didn't fit so good, the left front doesn't fit into the stock hole so it's redneck-rigged) and Polk three-way 6x9s in the rear.
It sounds great but it misses that good bass that comes from a sub. That's why I might decide to drop an amplified bazooka in the trunk or even a custom made sub box made by QCustoms at Crutchfield's online site. You should check it out at: www.crutchfield.com/cgi-b...ECF1&o=&a=
The only problem with this is there's no discreet spot to hide the amp.
Old 05-24-2001   #4
REMOVED USER

I have a Pioneer full face CD player with Pioneer 6x9 speakers. The CD player didn't have enough bass, so I added a Bazooka bass tube. Sounds great and it gets really loud.
Old 05-28-2001   #5
REMOVED USER

Sound Systems?

The probably your haveing with the front left plate speaker is the air duct ... it's possible to trim it down so the speaker fits but it's not neccesarily the best idea either. I'm hopeing to finish fabricating my self built kick panels soon enough to fit a nice pair of 5 1/4 inch components down there and have future plans for the dash speaker areas too but they don't include speakers. You'll also find that you can either mount the amp to the bottom of that Q-logic box or down in the hatch if you really want to ... I'm mounting mine out in the open on the flat panel behind the rear seats ... and I think it'll be okay there since I'm shaveing the door handles off my car too ... try and get in to steal it ... dare yeah.

Gaillen

Gaillen@yahoo.com
Old 06-06-2001   #6
REMOVED USER

I'd be interested in seeing some pics of your car when it's all said and done... Sounds interesting.
Old 06-06-2001   #7
Brent87LT1
Multi-Vehicle Member

sub idea

Heres an idea for your sub. It worked great for me. Mount your amp in the bottom of the rear compartment, build a sub enclosure with the top board extended 4 or 6 inches longer on both sides, these will hang on the steps where the sub-frames are attached to the bottom of the car. mount the sub(s) from the inside of the box to the top, use a sturdy flush-mount grill and cover the whole thing in matching carpet. The finished product will look like your trunk area is shallower than it actually is, while hiding the equipment completely.

I have pics at home I can scan and send to you if you like.
Old 06-07-2001   #8
REMOVED USER

For those who already read my last post... I found a cheaper deal on that QForms Custom Sub Enclosure if anyone is interested. Go to SoundDomain.com and the enclosure is $50 cheaper when you register. The link is: www.sounddomain.com/shop/...Enclosures
Old 06-22-2001   #9
REMOVED USER

Standard radio

Has anyone got a fully working standard radio for sale for an 89 GTA with steering wheel controls. If so email me at murad_ish@hotmail.com