Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 12-17-2012   #1
quickbird144

Ideas on this engine? Pics inside

So I was presented with this engine. It's from a 87 IROC-Z 350 and supposed to have 86k miles on it. The guy claims it all ran fine, still turns over but it's been sitting in his garage for about 2 years on a engine stand.

He's allowing me to pull the heads and oil pan off to inspect the engine. Initially he pulled the engine with trans, ecm, and harness for a Suburban project but that fell short.

Without question I'd have the heads redone, freshen up the engine with gaskets, timing chain, oil pump, that kind of deal. He wants $275 for it.
What do you guys think?

quickbird144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #2
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: Custom
Re: Ideas on this engine? Pics inside

Check the oil real good and see if you find anything in it. If you don't find any metal shavings then I would go for it.
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
MunsonGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #3
quickbird144

Think the price is fair if it looked okay? I don't think it'd be coming with the intake, pretty much how it's pictured.
Old 12-18-2012   #4
merc3065

those are probably heads from an 88 or newer. 87 had the perimeter bolts for the valve covers if I remember right.
Old 12-18-2012   #5
quickbird144

They are the correct ones for the engine. My 87 has the same exact ones.
Old 12-18-2012   #6
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

Yeah they are the right heads, 87 also had center bolt valve covers. The price doesn't sound too bad. How deep are you going to dig into the engine? I would be very hesitant to just drop in an engine that old with that many miles.
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
Old 12-18-2012   #7
quickbird144

I plan on having the heads totally redone. New oil pump, timing chain, full gasket set, also main and rod bearings and then the usual tune up from there. Definitely wasn't just gonna put it in and hope for the best. How's that sound? I have no intentions on removing the cam or pistons or crank.
Old 12-19-2012   #8
djmarch
1989 Gunmetal Grey, 350 TPI, 700R4, 3:27 BW

GTA Year: 1989
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

I'd offer him $200 for it..
Old 12-20-2012   #9
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickbird144 View Post
I plan on having the heads totally redone. New oil pump, timing chain, full gasket set, also main and rod bearings and then the usual tune up from there. Definitely wasn't just gonna put it in and hope for the best. How's that sound? I have no intentions on removing the cam or pistons or crank.
sounds good.

11.16 at 123 mph.
Old 12-22-2012   #10
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

I do not think that it is an entirely good idea to only put it in your car without doing everything first. Because you are buying an engine for less than three hundred dollars, what are you expecting from that? You do not know the exact history of this engine, for example, how many people owned it, how it was used before that last person got it, and if someone before used it as a experiment project trying some type of different pistons, cam shaft or crank shaft.

What if you put it in your GTA and then when you run it, you find out that it needs the piston rings changed? Or if the bearings are worn out? I would suggest that if you have it out of a car already, you should do everything. How much more will it cost to do these things? Not that much I would think.

I just think it would be more reasonable to do everything while it is not in the car. It will be so much more work to do these things if you put the engine completely back together and then back in the car first and then after running it you find out that it needs something like what I mentioned above. This is what I would do if I was planning it.

Good luck.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 12-22-2012 at 08:58 PM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012   #11
quickbird144

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumikoGTA View Post
I do not think that it is an entirely good idea to only put it in your car without doing everything first. Because you are buying an engine for less than three hundred dollars, what are you expecting from that? You do not know the exact history of this engine, for example, how many people owned it, how it was used before that last person got it, and if someone before used it as a experiment project trying some type of different pistons, cam shaft or crank shaft.

What if you put it in your GTA and then when you run it, you find out that it needs the piston rings changed? Or if the bearings are worn out? I would suggest that if you have it out of a car already, you should do everything. How much more will it cost to do these things? Not that much I would think.

I just think it would be more reasonable to do everything while it is not in the car. It will be so much more work to do these things if you put the engine completely back together and then back in the car first and then after running it you find out that it needs something like what I mentioned above. This is what I would do if I was planning it.

Good luck.

Yumiko
I'm not sure if you read the comments above, but I said I was going to do everything but remove the cam, pistons and crank but was doing a oil pump, timing chain, full gasket set, all bearings. Of course everything else would be inspected and I would have had the chance to fully inspect the engine anyway before purchase. Was also going to have the heads totally rebuilt. Definitely wasn't going to just throw it in and cross my fingers.
Old 12-22-2012   #12
YumikoGTA

Yes, I read your posting, that is why I mentioned something like if it needs piston rings, cam shaft, crank shaft or bearings. As I understand, you are not going to replace these parts, yes? I would replace them because if I was buying a used engine for less than three hundred dollars, I would not expect it to be good enough to take the chance that it needs something like what I mentioned, and after I do so much work to put the engine together and put it back in the GTA.

I did not do this to my GTA alone, but it was so much work and since I have experienced that, when I think about it, I would not take a chance like that. It is too much work to do and then it will be so much more work to remove it from the GTA and fix the problem, if it has a problem.

Maybe you are right and it will run good. If that is a chance that you are willing to take, then I would agree you are doing it the right way for you.

Good luck,

Yumiko
Old 12-23-2012   #13
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

He's trying to do a quick budget rebuild, sometimes cutting corners is what you have to do. I rebuilt mine from the ground up, but I also had free help. If you have to pay a shop to do all the bearings, and basically assemble the engine... you are looking at a decent amount of money.

11.16 at 123 mph.
Old 12-29-2012   #14
YumikoGTA

Ok, I understand that perhaps he has a limited budget, but what if something is wrong with the engine, something that he did not check and how would that be saving money if he then has to take it back out the engine and fix something like if one of the pistons are bad or if it needs to have the piston rings replaced or something like that.

It is a risk that I am not sure would be good to take. I hope that it works the way that he wishes that it will. If this was my project, I think I would elect to do everything the first time and that would save money only if there was something wrong with other internal components.

How many times have we read that someone did not do something to save some money and then when it was all back together, something they did not do was actually a problem? Then what happens, it cost actually more money and time to redue it, or worse, they decide that they no longer are interested and they get rid of it all together.

I never ignore the risks. But I do hope that it turns out the way that he wants it to turn out. Good luck.

Yumiko
Old 01-01-2013   #15
Pckstin

I would suggest to pull the pan, rod caps, main caps and inspect the bearings for a quick check. Check clearances. Check for ring groove in 7 and 8. If all passes muster, slap her back together. I had a 90k miles L98 and the machinist only deglazed the cylinders and it went back together within std tolerances. Make sure to use Clevite bearings, if you slap new ones in it. Might want to polish the crank.... The best way is to take it to the machinist and have it all cleaned and checked. It is not really all that much. Then go from what he (maybe a she) says.

If you don't really need it I don't think it would be worth 275 to me, but if I needed it I think it would be almost worth it.

Last edited by Pckstin; 01-01-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Pckstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #16
Project92rs

Personally, I'd price all the parts and labor you are looking at to rehab the motor and then compare it to the price of a new/reman long block using the same quality of parts. If it's cheaper than the new/reman long block, then go ahead and buy it.
Project92rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #17
YumikoGTA

From the photograph that you attached on this thread, it seems that there is some rusting on the intake area of the heads. Also someone seemed to have attached the valve covers with some sealants.

From these two things, it seems that you should really think about checking everything well before you put it all together and then into your car. Obviously it was exposed to the elements from the rusting, and that someone has taken it apart before from the sealants on the valve cover area. We did not use any sealants on the valve covers of my GTAs engine and that was ten years ago and it still is not leaking anything from there.

So I would really consider to check everything well because if you do it right the first time, it will be the cheapest, comparing if you do not do it right the first time and have to do it all over again. Good luck.

Yumiko
Old 01-31-2013   #18
quickbird144

Well I found a donor 91 Z28 that was wrecked with a strong 350 in it that ran like a champ. Took it out, freshened it up quite a bit and now my GTA is back in action and much much better than before.

Old 01-31-2013   #19
quickbird144

Forgot the best part. Got the whole car for $325
Old 02-01-2013   #20
SeanO23

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

nicely done!