Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 04-04-2010   #1
george88gta

engine removal

Starting to collect all the parts that I need to replace the engine in my GTA. Reading trhu the shop manual, they state remove from above, normal way to remove an engine. However, after working on my sons 2002 TA, we remove the body from the engine. 6 bolts and wires, etc and the body lifts off the K member. Anyone try this with a 3rd gen? 4th gen engine sits way back so lifting the engine is difficult, but removing the body is the easier way to go. I have a lift so that part isnt a problem.
george88gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #2
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Re: engine removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by george88gta View Post
Starting to collect all the parts that I need to replace the engine in my GTA. Reading trhu the shop manual, they state remove from above, normal way to remove an engine. However, after working on my sons 2002 TA, we remove the body from the engine. 6 bolts and wires, etc and the body lifts off the K member. Anyone try this with a 3rd gen? 4th gen engine sits way back so lifting the engine is difficult, but removing the body is the easier way to go. I have a lift so that part isnt a problem.
Would the engine fit down through the frame of the car even if you removed the exhuast manifolds? You would probably also have to remove the heads. But in order to drop the engine down, you would also have to remove all of the front suspension and exhaust (cross-over pipe and cat). That would probably be much more work then just taking off the hood and having the engine lifted out. As I recall, one bolts each for the two engine mounts, seven or eight bolts for the transmissions to the engine, three bolts from the flex plate to the torque converter, and four bolts from the exhaust manifolds to the cross-over exhaust pipe, not to mention all of the hoses and wiring. I think that is much less work then to remove all of those things and than disconnect all of the front suspension components and lower exhaust pieces.

I do not know anything at all about the 2002, but from what it sounds like, the engine in that year is so far back that you would not have to remove all of the front suspension. In the 1987/1988 (probably just the same) it seems that the engine is right above all of the suspension stuff and in order to remove the engine you would have to remove all of the suspension first.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 04-04-2010 at 04:30 PM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #3
merc3065

Your idea will work.

I would just recommend pulling the engine and the transmission as a whole unit up, that way you can actually get at the bolts easier to dismount the transmission from the flexplate.

But it is doable, its just a lot more work to drop the k-member as the suspension is all intertwined as well as all the steering.

since you have a lift, it can make things a little easier as you can get teh car off the ground to give clearance for the transmission.
Old 04-05-2010   #4
88GTAEd
And my money on my mind...

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

4th gens theres no way around droppin em out the bottom. but our cars, you could do either. its just more of a pain to go thru the bottom. ive done all mine up thru the top. just if you have headers goin on the engine, leave em off the engine till ya get it in the car.. learned that the hard way..
88GTAEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #5
george88gta

Well, we just happen to have a 4th gen K member out of the car. I noticed one major difference. The 4th gen has upper and lower control arms which keep the springs in place. Our cars do not have the upper control arm and if one was to lower the K member, the springs will fall out, maybe launch themselves. I would rathter deal with pulling the engine from the top than trying to get the springs back in place and compressed. Having changed springs before and recalling the difficulty in getting one compresssed, I dont feel like dealing with trying to compress two at one time. Thanks for the replies, I will go with the old tried and true method.
george88gta is offline   Reply With Quote