Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 04-25-2003   #1
TrueBurton

Unhappy Primary fan not turning on

My primary fan won't come on. The relay is ok and the fan will come on if i bipass the relay bu then it stays on ways. The secondary fan comes on once the car gets near 235. I put a 180 stat in it to help keep it a little cooler. It stays right at 180 on the highway so i know it is the fan causing it to overheat. Why wont it come on? could it be the coolant temp sens? but the gauges are reading right and the secondary fan comes on at the right time so i don't know. Some one help please!!
thanks
adam
TrueBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003   #2
NCMCSS
GTA - F-Body Member

The switch for the fan is on the passenger side of the engine. The connection melts easy and is difficult to get to. You can take that wire and connect it to ground and the fan will come on when you turn on the ignition. you can replace that switch, or you can wire up a switch in the passenger compartment and turn the fan on when you wish.
NCMCSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003   #3
TrueBurton

if this has gone bad i should see a melted wire then? how do i go about fixing this so that it is setup like it was origianally?
Old 04-27-2003   #4
NCMCSS
GTA - F-Body Member

First test the wire to ground and see that the fan turns on.
Next replace the switch with one that is the temperature range you want.
Connect the wire to the switch.

The switch screws into the head the same as the sending unit on the other head. When the switch gets up to temperature, the thermo-couple shorts and you have a connection to ground and the fan turns on. If this still does not work correctly after replacing the switch, then you have a bad ground. There should be a ground wire that screws on to the back of the head and goes to the firewall.
NCMCSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003   #5
FlameGTA
GTA Member

yea the temperature sensor is really fun to get to, i took it out by mistake, thought i was getting at the knock sensor, never trust pep boys again, knock sensor was down and towards the front further, and if you are wondering what size socket it is before fishing down in there its a 7/8, good luck, my connector was melted too and evtremly brittle
FlameGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003   #6
TrueBurton

is this fan grounded to the ECM? could a bad ECM cause this?