Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 04-28-2003   #1
southgta
F-Body Member

Question Stock or not?

I was just wondering do most of you all keep your cars stock or modify them? The car I have now is not stock but I do keep all original parts. What about you cars?
southgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003   #2
TX_1987_GTA
GTA Owner

Cool mine would be STOCK ( almost anyway..... )

My car would be stock, with only a few exceptions. Computer chip, exhaust, front sway bar, no body side mldgs.. but i do have all the parts to put it back 100% stock, even the GM muffler.

Top of Texas Trans Am Club of Amarillo ( 2010 President )
http://www.transamclubofamarillo.com/

1981 Turbo Trans Am
1987 GTA Trans Am Hardtop 5.7 T.P.I. ( 90000 miles )
1989 GTA/TTA, 20th Anniversary, Indy Pace Car, #402 ( 35000 miles )

1989 Formula T-Top 5.7 T.P.I. " SOLD "
1991 GTA Trans Am Hardtop 5.7 T.P.I. " SOLD "
2000 Ram Air Trans Am LS1 Auto " The EX got it! "
2002 Ram Air Trans Am LS1 6 Speed ( 13700 miles ) " SOLD "
TX_1987_GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003   #3
firehawk35

Thought about a few changes but I just can't change from stock... Thats way I bought a GTA and not a reg. Trans Am.
Old 04-29-2003   #4
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
My red GTA is no longer stock (ACCEL TPI, Flowmaster, Hypertech chip, Hotchkis STB, etc.), but I have all the parts to return it to its original condition except for the muffler.... which was rusted out when I replaced it several years back. I wasn't in my "GTA Source Page mode" back then, so I didn't keep it.

Hector is still in his OEM configuration.... there's not even a K&N filter in that car. But I'm going to be replacing the exhaust soon with a BANKS system that has the stock appearance. I also plan to add a STB too to shore up the front end, but that can be removed for show duty. The two holes on the strut towers will be hidden pretty well on a black car.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003   #5
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Stock? Well, my car is mostly stock now...

However, I'm on the verge of a project that will almost completely transform the car. The whole suspension is being gone through, the automatic is being swapped for a manual, and the motor will be rebuilt with a Procharger...

I may or may not add a rollcage, I'm still undecided as of yet. The whole project will take me a little over 2 years to complete, but should make for a hell of an LS1 hunter...

why am I doing all this? Well, I've always wanted a GTA... I'm just not entirely happy with the way they came from the factory...

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003   #6
southgta
F-Body Member

I agree there is room for improvement!
southgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003   #7
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Wow Fred,

Two years for your project. Sounding like me because my project to replace and rebuilding the entire drive train in my GTA taking me almost that long. I start my project in October 2001 and perhaps I may finish it in May or June of this year 2003. My GTA is all stock like day I take it from dealership - exceipt for spark plug (8.8 Accel) wires, air filter (K&N), and stereo(I have factory one in my closet). Everything else is from GM Dealership. Question? If I replace with Genuine GM parts, would my car still be consider factory/stock?

Anyway, about your project, why will this take two years, I am interested to know. It taking me two years because, well, I relying on guy friends to help me with the work I cannot do because I am not that strong, and, I have to work full time and plus alot of overtime these days, I taking a few adult classes just to refresh my mind and learn modern technics to my older profession. So what exactly is your time table for your project and how much you planning on spending, also tell me what types of work you planning to do plus what you need to do to your GTA to accomplish this goals. Rollcage is sometimes pretty big job, I know someone who do this to their car and they had to really take apart that car and weld some of it back together and, it really takes alot of technical knowledge and skills (alot of numbers) when you cut apart and weld back together some cars. But their rollcage was pretty hidden out of sight. They did most of it inside of the panels of the car so you really could not see it to obviously.

Biggest thing, do it right because if you ever selling this car some day, a serious buyer is really going to look at your work closely and a bad job or just plan one may deturmine how much you can get, or even a sale. Good luck and I am waiting to learn all about what you going to do and stuff. Yumiko
Old 04-30-2003   #8
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Well Yumiko, I say two years because I am going to college right now and I work part time. I don't have to worry about paying for school because all my scholarships take care of tuition, so I can sink a lot of money into the car. I'll be rebuilding every system in the car to be able to withstand the engine I'm planning on building a few years from now, which is a Supercharged twin-intercooled 355 built out of the existing L98 I have now. In addition, I'll be swapping out the automatic tranny with Tremec TKO manual. So for the next 2 years, I'll basically be building up a platform capable of handling a high horsepower engine, then I'll build the engine itself.

I don't drive the car daily so I save a lot on gas and maintenance. All I have to worry about is insurance and garage bills. I basically just use the car for good weather cruising, and car shows in the future.

Old 04-30-2003   #9
brandon87gta
GTA Member

Fred,

Twin intercooled??? Well that's a new one. Are you going to intercool it and then aftercool it, or run two intercoolers inline???

Brandon
brandon87gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003   #10
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Brandon, I dunno if you go onto TGO much... However, the Supercharger I'm going to run is the ATI procharger D-1SC. It comes with a 3-core intercooler that mounts in front of the radiator. Unfortunately, this intercooler blocks the radiator and causes the engine to overheat. So, one of the guys on TGO used 2 high flow LS1 intercoolers and mounted them in the nose area with seperate air deflectors to channel air to the intercoolers. The air is routed down the driver's side fender, to the two intercoolers and finally routed into the intake from the passenger side fender. Pretty ingenious idea... The best part is, the radiator gets full airflow, and the engine no longer overheats.

Here's the link to the thread:
Twin Intercooler 3rd gen

I bet that's something you'd love to read... I wanna be a boostophile just like you... hahaha

Old 05-01-2003   #11
brandon87gta
GTA Member

Ah, that makes sense now, Fred.

With the radiator where it is and no grill, it had limited the front mount intercoolers on the TTA too. Only one or two companies make them. But they are huge and work quite well.

But, that is an ingenious solution to the problem though. My only worry is if something would hit one of the intercoolers. Damaging one of those is bad news, since it will decrease the ability to cool the air.

The way the TTA guys get around the overheating to to run a Spal 2300 cfm dual fan setup behind the radiator to pull air through both the intercooler and radiator. It seems to work. Might want to try running a small fan behind each of the intercoolers for your setup. This will add in the pick up of cool air at idle and low speeds. Just a thought.

Brandon
Old 05-01-2003   #12
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Yes, something hitting it is right. Do not forget some curbs are pretty high also. That is an impressive system - I think. Looks pretty good. I was reading about some guy famous for car racing (cannot remember his name) this was in 1987 - one or two month before I actually purchase my GTA. In this article what he did was take out the GTA fog lights and put a hose in there and it was ram air and I think he also had some cooler as well. Good luck on your project fred though two years from now is pretty long time, hope we are all still on this site to enjoy seeing your project become more than just plan. One last thing I want to ask, what about smogging your car. Do you worry about that or will this not effect smog testing? Or is your GTA going to be track only? Just wondering. Thanks Yumiko
Old 05-01-2003   #13
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Well, I was thinking about the fact that something might hit the intercoolers. On my car, I think I cn mount the intercoolers a bit higher and then use a fine wire screen to keep large objects like rocks pebbles, and pieces of other cars from going up and damaging the intercoolers. Otherwise, I may just take Brandon's advice and go with the Spal fan setups.

As for emissions and smog, I live in New York City so I will have to get the car tested for emissions every year. The Supercharger shouldn't really affect emissions too much as long as I get the calibrations correct. I'll be burning my own PROM chips so I can adjust the car's calibrations according to my needs/prefernces. When The engine finally goes in there, I'll be switching the ECMs from the standard 730 SD ECM I have in there to a boost reading 749 ECM from a Typhoon/Cyclone. I already have the ECM sitting in my garage waiting until I can finally build the engine. All I need are the heads to finish the project and the Supercharger kit. The rotating assembly and everything else needed for the bottom end of the block have already been ordered and are waiting to go in.

Old 05-01-2003   #14
brandon87gta
GTA Member

Actually the wire screen is a good idea. GN's came with that stock to keep rocks and such out of there. But once you put the screen there it will affect the intercooler's airflow ability. That's why most GN guys take it out immediately.

Another thing you could do is build a air scoop if you mount them higher. This will direct the air exactly where you want and give you some protection. Below is the one I made to replace the junk aftermarket one that was on the car.

Brandon
Old 05-01-2003   #15
brandon87gta
GTA Member

Here it is installed on the intercooler and it's shroud, before being painted.

Brandon