Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 01-01-2017   #1
rehirsch8

New member; need help with digital dash removal

Hi,

I have an 1988 GTA I recently purchased. I'm trying to remove the digital dash but I'm stuck on the message center. The digital dash is free but I cannot get at the connector in the back to unlock the message center connector. Does anyone know of a trick to get at this? I have the dash pad off but can't get at it.

Thanks,
Bob
rehirsch8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017   #2
merc3065

Re: New member; need help with digital dash removal

If I remember right, there should be enough slack to it pull out enough to unclip it from the back.

They are overall a pain in the ass to get at the connectors in the back of both the gauges and the DIC.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
miked

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Hi Bob,

I think you're asking about the system check module (the one with the syschk button and the bird's eye view of the car)? I did a small writeup on 3rd gen because I ran into the same problem trying to get that off. Here is the link (post #61): http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/elect...86-88-a-2.html

I'll copy the relevant section from the post in the next reply in case anyone is searching this in the future, I hope this helps.

Mike.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
miked

The connector on the back of the DIC (driver information center - the module with the SYS CHK button on it) is not long enough to pull out very far and the tabs on it block the rest of the dash piece from coming off so you can access the odometer board below it. I had to remove the lid and push the connector out from the inside using a screwdriver. And when re-installing I had to use a small pair of vice-grips to grasp the connector tab and pull it back onto the DIC. I didn't take pictures when I was doing it but here are some pics of a spare unit I have to show what I mean (next post)...
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
miked

[two screws that need to be removed from the top of the unit]

Last edited by miked; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:01 AM. Reason: copied image to gtasourcepage instead of external link
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
miked

arrow on left shows the ribbon cable that has to be disconnected in order to remove the lid. arrow on top shows where the cable connector will be attached in the car (which is not showing in the pic since it's on the car). I used a screwdriver to push the cable connector off of the (male) chip board connector that is showing. It worked best to alternate gently pushing on left, then right, then repeat until the connector came off. To re-install, I used vice grips to grab the connector tab and pull it back onto the chip board connector port.

Also, make sure to re-install the new chip in the same direction as the old one (it will fit both ways). Installing in the wrong direction will get you flashing 9's.

Last edited by miked; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:01 AM. Reason: copied picture to gtasourcepage instead of external link