Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 11-05-2000   #1
REMOVED USER

5 inch bass sub-woofers

My TA has 2, 5 inch sub-woofers with 4x6 regular speakers mounted in the sail panels. This was a factory option on some models. My sub woofers have gone bad. I have tried aftermarket, Rockford Fosgate replacement speakers, but they don't handle the power. Does anyone know where I can find the factory speakers? Pontiac tells me they have been discontinued, the GM part number is 16040892. I would appreciate any help. Please E mail me with any suggestions. Jeff
Bowtiecrazy@juno.com
Old 11-09-2000   #2
REMOVED USER

speakers

You might want to call Crutchfield and speak with one of their installation techs. They have alot of knowledge on retro fits for discontinued factory speakers. Typically any quality replacement speaker will handle the factory radio output. Hope this helps.
Old 11-09-2000   #3
REMOVED USER

Crutchfield

Thanks, I have tried Crutchfield but they don't have anything that will replace these speakers. They say the frequency response is so low, that they can't match it with any of their 5 inch speakers. Thank anyway for your help. Jeff
Old 11-11-2000   #4
REMOVED USER

I wish my GTA had that option

Good luck!
Old 11-11-2000   #5
REMOVED USER

5 inch bass sub-woofers

What is the frequency response on those? I think mine are old and tired too. Have to keep the gain switch all the down or they vibrate really bad. I thought it may have been loose panels and stuff. However checked all of that.
Old 11-14-2000   #6
REMOVED USER

Bass Speakers

Hey TGTA, the frequency response they say is 20hz to 100hz. What has gone bad on mine is the rubber around the edge. It has dry rotted. They rattled really bad even with the gain switch turned as low as it would go.
Old 11-18-2000   #7
REMOVED USER

5 inch bass sub-woofers

Thanks Bowtie! I will have to check into that. I am going to surf around and see what I can find.
Old 11-20-2000   #8
REMOVED USER

Speakers

Hi TG88GTA. I found some more information on speaker repair. Type in WWW.AOL.COM and then go to search and type in speaker repair. It will bring up several places that repair speakers, and some places that sell kits to repair your own. I hope this will help you, but one of mine is completely gone. Jeff
Old 11-21-2000   #9
REMOVED USER

AOL

ewww.... aol.... evil.....