Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 09-19-2001   #1
REMOVED USER

service light comes on??

I have a problem?? I just had a new motor put in my 89 gta.When i am at a light idiling or in drive way idiling for about 2-min my check light comes on and the car idiles like crap.But if i am driving and not stopping the light stays off runs great.When i turn the car off the light goes away and runs great.Until i come to a light any-one have any clues or what it is please help.Also where can i find a picture or web site where i can view a close up of the tpi motor so i can see where all these sencors are located at THANK.
Old 09-20-2001   #2
REMOVED USER

Re: service light comes on??

There are a couple of things I can think of... One may be the Idle Air Control Valve, and the other could be the Throttle Position Sensor.... The Idle Air Control Valve (IAC) is located on the passengers side of the throttle body, the plug is near the bottom of the throttle body... this plug may have been over looked, it is an easy one to do it with since it is lower on the throttle body.

It would help to diagnose the problem if you check the code(s) in the computer.... to do this, simply jumper the two last terminals on the top, turn the key to the "ON" position, do NOT start the car... The service engine soon light will flash codes... first will be a code 12, it repeats each code 3 times, when all the codes have been displayed, it will flash a code 12 again. Post the code you get on here, and I will check my manual and tell you what it says.

Good Luck

PS. Here is a website with detailed diagrams....
www.metzcon.com/fbodymanual