Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 08-26-2001   #1
REMOVED USER

16.57 seconds to the 1/4 mile... Nobody wants to help :o(

Hey all.... I was quite dissappointed with the time I got on friday at the drag strip... 16.57secs @92MPH... my R/T was .627secs and 60ft was 2.1secs. Hopefully after I get the MSD Wires, MSD Blaster GM Coil and new AC Delco Platinum Plugs, this time will get better.... Do you all think that it will? I had the new MSD cap and rotor, as well as Holley's Air Foil kit on the throttle body. I also plan on getting the SLP cold air induction kit. I want at least a 15second 1/4 mile... Any other areas I should focus on?
Old 09-03-2001   #2
REMOVED USER

Not to bad

That ET isnt that bad. My GTA ran high 15`s before I did any kind of mods on it. I got the SLP cold air kit with a K&N filter first. That mod gave me about a half second. with that, i ran a 15.2. Other mods were a flowmaster muffler and a shift Kit. My best ET was a 14.7. Ive got an 88 GTA with the 5.7 litre engine. That TPI airfoil doesnt seem to be that much of a gain. Ive heard that it is just another thing people can tack on to their mods. Any how, go for the cold air kit. that will be a good improvement.
Old 09-03-2001   #3
REMOVED USER

The solution perhaps???

One word - Nitrous.
One Expression -
Actually passengers may have another:
Old 09-03-2001   #4
REMOVED USER

Re: The solution perhaps???

Thanks guys..... Actually.. I was thinking of nitrous or a ATI procharger... I will probably go with nitrous. Mods up to date are.. Wires, cap, rotoe and Blaster Coil from MSD, the Holley Air Foil, 160 degree thermostat and bypassing the throttle cooling lines (kind of an oxymoron if you think of it... cooling? yeah right).

I was checking out the cold air kit from SLP.... was it hard to install? I think I'll get that as well... I am also getting the stainless mandrell bent extension pipe(s), with a high flow cat and a dynomax ultra flow SS muffler and stock replica stainless mandrel bent tail pipes.... I like the subtle look of the original tail pipes. And headers, I will get, but that's a big expense.

I still think there is something wrong somewhere... cause it seems like a bog machine, not very good throttle response. Its going into the dealer for spark plugs and a full injector and intake flush. If this doesn't help the "bog" problem, I'll assume that is normal i suppose.

Thanx again... any more suggestions, please let me know.

Nathan
Old 09-04-2001   #5
REMOVED USER

16.57 seconds to the 1/4 mile... Nobody wants to help

How's it going there? I'm sure many would like to help you out there but are just not familiar with your type of situation. Sound's like lots of modifications in the works. Only advise I can give you if you could call it that would be: Try not to stick a nitrous system on an engine that isn't properly running up to speed. Seriously! You will scatter your engine if you do so! You ever see a Mark 84 (Two thousand pound all purpose bomb) LGB with Snake eye fins hit a tank in slow motion out in the middle of the desert? Your engine parts and material in which it was fashioned from will resemble just that! Your engine WILL be going south and it won't be coming back in spring! So use nitrous as an inhancement on a healthy running engine and not a repair to an engine malfunctioning. Your engine is definitly not running right. Your not the original owner and you never know what abuse if any the previous owner(s) did. Example: I took my GTA out yesterday for the holiday. Man! No one was letting me pull out of the ammo shop parking lot! Well, tires are expensive but at this point I didn't care! I took this opportunity to passed up a mustang and a camero that didn't let me out earlier. Should have seen the looks on their faces when I smoke-check their ass's. And my car is 100% stock, no modifications! How can that be? I had to let off of the gas cause I was still breaking traction when the car hit third. That's about the time you loose control if your still standing on the gas anyways. Kameron.
Old 09-04-2001   #6
REMOVED USER

Thanx Kameron

Yeah.. I wasn't planning on getting nitrous until the engine ran right... I just want to get it running up to par for now.... after this weekend when it goes to the dealer for repair and maintenance.... and it still runs like a bag, i will gues maybe the fuel pump is week, which is NOT something i want to tackle.... I'll get the guy at the dealer to check the fuel pressure.
Old 09-13-2001   #7
REMOVED USER

heres some help

after you get any problems
fixed
cut 3 square holes in circle airbox
cut screens on mass airflow sensor
check your timing
i have a 5.7tpi with .030 overbore
cam
filter
and free mods
2.5 inch flowmaster exaust
and i run 14.90@91 in a 1/4
let me know thx
Old 09-14-2001   #8
REMOVED USER

16.57 seconds to the 1/4 mile

The question is, what were the track conditions? Things like; the weather, especially temperature; altitude, weight of the car; all effect e.t. My car weighing a bit over 3600 lbs. with me in it, on a 72 degree day @ 1800 ft. altitude, ran a best of 14.91 @ 90.83. It is an 1987 GTA with only a couple mods: flowmaster muffler, k&n filter, air foil, timing, and shift kit (not really good for e.t., maybe a tenth?, great for positive, tire squealing shifts) everything else is stock. But yeah, something is wrong with your car, it should run, mid 15's easy, maybe low 15's to high 14's with the mods you suggested.
Old 09-14-2001   #9
REMOVED USER

NO NOS

Dude, stay away from NOS. That stuff isnt good for your engine. Engines are built around using NOS. Cam, pistons, rods, valves. A stock 5.7L especially with TPI isnt going to last very long with it. When you use NOS, it strips the cylinder walls of the layer of oil that stays on there. NOT GOOD. It may be a cheap way to gain a second or two, but in the long run, its gonna cost you an engine. Also, i didnt see whether your car is automatic or manual. If its auto, bring your gear selecter back to "1". Shift it like its a manual, you get to a certain RPM, bump it up into the next gear. This gave me a whole lot better time. My GTA has almost 200,000 miles and it is still running high 14's. Only mods are SLP cold air kit, and a flowmaster muffler.
Old 09-14-2001   #10
REMOVED USER

Re: NO NOS

Thanx for the advice... although I may still go for NOS, but I am also thinking of the ATI procharger kit.

Just got my car back from the exhaust shop.. its a bit loud for my taste.. but it sounds cool, and definately a performance improvement... can't wait to get back to the track this month.
Old 09-15-2001   #11
REMOVED USER

all this commotion

i have an 88 gta 5.7
rebuilt , has flowmaster exaust, modified airbox & K & N
filter, modified mass airflow sensor and i ran a best of 14.90 @91.00mph in 1/4 spinning the tires about 30 feet out of the hole?
the car has 130,000 miles and still runs a 14.9?
it looks like its slow sounds like a 305, cant pass emmissions but it can run like a GTA
so my advise{dont drive your gta everyday also,
keep it clean{engine}, tuned up, get some more gas to it{freemods} get a hotter coil and plugs and wires,
maybe even a chip before you think of going big,
a supercharger on a bone stock 5.7 eventually would mess your stock roller cam up and bearings rings stuff that you dont wanna mess up right now,
take anything out of the car, speakerbox, jack, spare,
stuff that can get you at least a tenth.
thankz 88 gta 350 bright red with tan cloth interior
Old 09-30-2001   #12
REMOVED USER

Re: 16.57 !!!!

16.57 is wasy off track for a 350 my peanut cammed 91 305 with 2.73 runs 16.8's( i almost stripped it of its T/A badges)
i would make sure everything is ok and up to par , like tps settings , i had a bad tps rob me of close to a second at the trrack one day.
but then again 92 mph ? you must 've been spinning for quite some time.
port the plenum and base, gut the MAF,fancy filter gimmic,AFRheads, and 1.6 rockers, headers, i think that would leave a foot print in your cars ass for while anyway.

mike
87GTA 355 superam
12.90's on radials
Old 09-30-2001   #13
REMOVED USER

then again "spray" does alot for less .....until the bottle runs out. he he he he
Old 09-30-2001   #14
REMOVED USER

Actually... It was 82MPH.... But... this past friday, it did better...

What did the bad TPS feel like??? Did the engine roll over and die after 4000RPM?

Friday night, I got a 15.08@92MPH.. this run felt like the car was running RIGHT for once... no bog, it revved up quick.. so whatever wasn't working right, worked right for two runs.. a 15.08 and a 15.2.
Old 10-01-2001   #15
REMOVED USER

yeah right ....what ever it was started working , a bad tps could be anything from a stumble to stalling out at a light, if you know some body with a scanner , by them lunch
well get to work! that et has got to get lower..lord knows mine needs too.