Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA CLASSIFIEDS > GTA ONLINE FOR SALE ADS

GTA ONLINE FOR SALE ADS Use this forum to "discuss" GTAs that are advertised for sale online at various used car sites.... eBay, AutoTrader, etc.

Old 01-29-2018   #1
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.

GTA for sale "Testing out my GTA skills"

Ok guys, I've been on this site for a number of months now and have been reading as much as possible about these GTAs, the numbers, the options, the years options were available, etc. etc. etc.
but most of all the authenticity of these. Knowing the authenticity of vehicles we are interested in purchasing is very helpful in determining if what we are getting, paying for is true and genuine.

So I ran across this one for sale on ebay today:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Pontia...daay3O&vxp=mtr

So testing my GTA skills, I'd have to say that from this ad, the VIN says it's a 5.0 ltr but the seller is listing it as a 5.7 ltr. I also notice that the emblems don't seem to be mounted in the correct locations. Seats aren't the GTA style either. Biggest discrepancy for me is the fender vents. GTA's didn't come with those right?

Last edited by JonBlake; 01-29-2018 at 01:33 PM.
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018   #2
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: Custom
Re: GTA for sale "Testing out my GTA skills"

Looks like a Trans Am with GTA badges and wheels, the tail lights are also GTA correct though. You are correct about the fender vents, no GTA had them. Seats are incorrect for a GTA.
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
MunsonGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018   #3
GTABill

Someone should contact that guy and tell him the bad news lol. Hopefully he didn't buy it thinking its a GTA. Interior, vents, and looking at the taillights, it looks to me that the center piece is silver and with a GTA should be gold. Could be the angle and the lighting though. Also should see if he'll send a pic of the RPO codes. It could just be a GTA that's had the fenders replaced, but a 50K mile example? IDK, seems like a buyer beware.......

1991 Bright Red GTA...1st place Light Modified Class 2009 & 2014 TA Nationals
41,xxx original miles as of 4/18
GTABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018   #4
86TA355SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBlake View Post
So I ran across this one for sale on ebay today:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Pontia...daay3O&vxp=mtr

So testing my GTA skills, I'd have to say that from this ad, the VIN says it's a 5.0 ltr but the seller is listing it as a 5.7 ltr. I also notice that the emblems don't seem to be mounted in the correct locations. Seats aren't the GTA style either. Biggest discrepancy for me is the fender vents. GTA's didn't come with those right?
Appears to be a repainted base model. In 87, a color similar to flame red was available on base TA, two-tone with the silver lower panels. Base TAs weren't available in solid colors that year.

All the base features are present on this car.

There's still folks who think All GTAs got the 350. Unless an engine swap was done, the VIN indicates a 305 as you mentioned. Base TAs did have 350s, but it was an option. At least that's what my memory is...I've killed a lot of brain cells since then though....
86TA355SR is offline   Reply With Quote