Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > NON-GTA SPECIFIC > GENERAL DISCUSSION (NON-GTA)

GENERAL DISCUSSION (NON-GTA) Use this forum to discuss topics of a more general nature.... it can be auto-related on not. Your choice. But above all, please be adult and responsible in your postings.

Old 12-20-2017   #1
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.

The 87' GTA

Hey Guys,

Well, 2017 is almost over. This year went fast. Well that's really not what this post is going to be about. Now for the meat and potatoes, er I mean the real reason for this post.

Yesterday as I was on my way home from work, I saw a really nice looking GTA. Actually it looked about brand new. Wow, someone's really put some time into that one obviously.

I started thinking about the first year these GTA's came out. I was a sophomore in high school when I saw one of these for the very first time - 87' and I thought it was a hell of a great looking car. There was a senior at school at that time that had a mint condition 57' Chevy. It was a two tone white on the top and red on the bottom. That 57' was one of the most badazz cars on campus. What tripped me out was that 57' was from a place in time before I was even alive, since it was 30 years old.

And yesterday as I saw that mint GTA while on my way home from work and thinking back to when I was a sophomore in high school and seeing the 87' GTA and the 57' Chevy, it abruptly occurred to me that this 87' GTA that I saw yesterday is as old now as that badazz 57' Chevy on campus was back in 87'. 30 years old to be exact.

Can you believe it? A 57' Chevy was 30 years old when the 87' GTA came out. And now these 87' GTA's are just as old now.

Anyone have such similar stories/experiences to share? If so post them up, I'd like to read about them.

Last edited by JonBlake; 12-20-2017 at 11:35 AM.
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017   #2
DynoDave

Re: The 87' GTA

The ones that get me are the ages of things (the T/A is often a point of reference) compared to my other big events in my life...moving away from home and out of state for my first real job...getting married, buying the house, having kids. It was actually the age of my youngest that got me just last night. Someone bumped a thread on TGO from 2001...a 16 year old thread! I'm like holy cow, this thread is almost as old as my youngest child! So yeah, time marches on for sure. Also yesterday, one of my best friends texted me a black and white photo of a bunch of us from high school at the Car Craft Street Machine Nationals in Illinois c1983. What a motley looking bunch! Didn't make me feel any younger, but good memories for sure.
POCI #72200
DynoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017   #3
Roadrunner
87 GTA 305 Auto

My boss in college previously worked at Norwood. He special ordered a 57 Bel Air and worked on it rolling down the line.
I thought he must have had some kind of crystal ball to know he was buying what would become such an icon and wondered how my choice of new car in the 80's would fare.

A year later I was walking down the street and spied a car half a block down on a side road that I had to check out.
It was the first GTA I saw and thought it was so cool.
I also liked the Grand National a friend had.
Both of these were more car than I could afford and had to settle with a used Z28 L69 T5 T-top car (still decent 3rd gen but a lot lower $ due to the flood of Irocs).
I guess a crystal ball isn't needed afterall
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017   #4
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
My boss in college previously worked at Norwood. He special ordered a 57 Bel Air and worked on it rolling down the line.
I thought he must have had some kind of crystal ball to know he was buying what would become such an icon and wondered how my choice of new car in the 80's would fare.

A year later I was walking down the street and spied a car half a block down on a side road that I had to check out.
It was the first GTA I saw and thought it was so cool.
I also liked the Grand National a friend had.
Both of these were more car than I could afford and had to settle with a used Z28 L69 T5 T-top car (still decent 3rd gen but a lot lower $ due to the flood of Irocs).
I guess a crystal ball isn't needed afterall
Well the days of collector cars coming out are pretty much over. Think it's been that way for at least 30 years now, give or take a few either way. The only exception to that is, the 2018 Corvette. I read lately that the 2018 Corvette had it's production run abruptly cut short, instantly making that make/model an instant collectable.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/10/...odel-year.html

BTW - They throw out the 9,700 number of cars produced. Sort of reminds of the rough estimate of how many 87' GTA's were built. Wasn't that something around 9,700?

Last edited by JonBlake; 12-27-2017 at 02:15 PM.
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote