Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > NON-GTA SPECIFIC > GENERAL DISCUSSION (NON-GTA)

GENERAL DISCUSSION (NON-GTA) Use this forum to discuss topics of a more general nature.... it can be auto-related on not. Your choice. But above all, please be adult and responsible in your postings.

Old 11-19-2017   #1
strc09
Displaced Texan living in NC

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: Custom
Vader got a facelift...

Back in April I sent Vader to the body shop for a much needed facelift that took about six and a half months from start to finish. Just in time for F-Body Beach Bash in Myrtle Beach, SC. I've been sitting on this idea since 2010 and was finally able to get it done. The overall design incorporates pieces from every generation of Firebird. That was important for the overall design of the car. There is still much work left to do, but the body is straight now.

During the body work, more was found than I knew about that was wrong with my car. The only thing I knew was the car had been involved in an accident which required a new rear passenger quarter, but it seems there was more that I didn't know about. Whomever did the initial repair on the car following the accident before I bought it really cut corners and did some crappy work. The good news is that is all fixed now.

Here are some pictures of Vader's new look...

On the way home from the body shop...

F-Body Beach Bash...

MISC Shots...

GTA: Grand Turismo Americano (Grand Touring America)
1 of 930 1988 Gunmetal Metallic GTAs produced (RPO 87U)
Built by Zeus Performance and tuned by Alvin from PCM4Less
Check out my website: Night Vision GraFX
strc09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017   #2
DynoDave

Re: Vader got a facelift...

Would love to see the photos, but you're going to have to get another photo host than Photobucket, or pay them their $399.00 fee to allow posting on forums like this.

I switched to Flickr. Free, a ridiculous amount of free photo storage (I cleaned out 3 Photobucket accounts, and moved those images to Flickr, and have used less than 1% of the space they give you), and it's so fast compared to the bucket, it's unbelievable.

I posted how-to steps here.

http://wichargerguy.proboards.com/th...-photos-flickr
POCI #72200

Last edited by DynoDave; 11-20-2017 at 07:45 AM.
DynoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017   #3
GTABill

Quote:
Originally Posted by strc09 View Post
Back in April I sent Vader to the body shop for a much needed facelift that took about six and a half months from start to finish. Just in time for F-Body Beach Bash in Myrtle Beach, SC. I've been sitting on this idea since 2010 and was finally able to get it done. The overall design incorporates pieces from every generation of Firebird. That was important for the overall design of the car. There is still much work left to do, but the body is straight now.

During the body work, more was found than I knew about that was wrong with my car. The only thing I knew was the car had been involved in an accident which required a new rear passenger quarter, but it seems there was more that I didn't know about. Whomever did the initial repair on the car following the accident before I bought it really cut corners and did some crappy work. The good news is that is all fixed now.

Here are some pictures of Vader's new look...

On the way home from the body shop...

F-Body Beach Bash...

MISC Shots...

Until you get set up with a different host, this should work for now. BTW........looks really good! I like your style lol......not over the top, but really makes it stand out!

1991 Bright Red GTA...1st place Light Modified Class 2009 & 2014 TA Nationals
41,xxx original miles as of 4/18
GTABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017   #4
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

the hooters girl is missing what she is advertising..
Old 12-10-2017   #5
DynoDave

They come in all sizes....all good!
POCI #72200
Old 12-21-2017   #6
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

GTA Year: 1987

The car looks great!
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
MunsonGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017   #7
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.

Hmmm. 77' T/A fender vents. Interesting concept. BTW, have you seen what full-on original 77' T/A's are going for these days? Amazing!
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017   #8
strc09

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoDave View Post
Would love to see the photos, but you're going to have to get another photo host than Photobucket, or pay them their $399.00 fee to allow posting on forums like this.

I switched to Flickr. Free, a ridiculous amount of free photo storage (I cleaned out 3 Photobucket accounts, and moved those images to Flickr, and have used less than 1% of the space they give you), and it's so fast compared to the bucket, it's unbelievable.

I posted how-to steps here.

http://wichargerguy.proboards.com/th...-photos-flickr
Dave,

Thanks for the info. I had a hell of a time trying to get those photos uploaded in PhotoBucket to begin with. I will definitely look into the Flicker account. I used to have one...just have to see if it is still active.

Thanks Bill for the repost of the pictures!

I was trying to not go to drastic or over the top like I've seen on some cars. I tried to keep the modifications subtle and meaningful when I designed the car several years ago. I'm just glad that I am finally in a position that allowed me to show the car to everyone else the way I've seen it for years in my head.

The design incorporates bits from every generation of Firebird on it which was very important to me. The vents and Bird graphics from a Gen2 Trans AM, the rear side marker lights from a Gen1 Firebird, the hood from a Gen4 Trans AM, and a nod to the 2003 Heritage Trans AM that GM built (body matched tail filler panel between the tail lights.). The hood was modified to incorporate a heat extractor vent from a 2014-15 Camaro SS to help evacuate the heat from under the hood.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with how it all turned out and it's been getting a lot of attention.

Yes, the do. Our waitress was really cool and one of the more laid back ones there. That's why we went back to get pictures with her before we left.

Thanks, Munson. I appreciate the kind words.

Yes, Jon. I have been keeping up with the prices. I REALLY, REALLY want a legit Y84 car some day. I've found some in NC, but just don't have the funds to get one right now. Spent it all on Vader and still more to go. I'm just afraid that by the time I get done with Vader, I may really not be able to afford one.

Thanks everyone.

Old 12-26-2017   #9
JonBlake

Quote:

Yes, Jon. I have been keeping up with the prices. I REALLY, REALLY want a legit Y84 car some day. I've found some in NC, but just don't have the funds to get one right now. Spent it all on Vader and still more to go. I'm just afraid that by the time I get done with Vader, I may really not be able to afford one.

Thanks everyone.
Is the Y84 a code on the 77' T/A's too? What code is that for the 77's? I know on the third gens the Y84 is the code for the GTA package.
Old 12-31-2017   #10
strc09

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBlake View Post
Is the Y84 a code on the 77' T/A's too? What code is that for the 77's? I know on the third gens the Y84 is the code for the GTA package.
Jon,

I believe the RPO for GTAs is Y87 and the Y84 code is for the S/E Trans AMs from 1976 through 1979. 1976 was the first year of the S/E Trans AM and it coincided with the 50th (?) anniversary of Pontiac. The S/E Trans AM was made famous in 1977 when Smokey and the Bandit came out. I sometimes get the two confused and may have them backwards, but I do know they are two different RPO codes though. There used to be a member on the forums that was helping Frankie out and he used the RPO code for the GTA as his screen name. I tried doing a search, but wasn't able to find anything.

Old 01-02-2018   #11
JonBlake

Quote:
Jon,

I believe the RPO for GTAs is Y87 and the Y84 code is for the S/E Trans AMs from 1976 through 1979. 1976 was the first year of the S/E Trans AM and it coincided with the 50th (?) anniversary of Pontiac. The S/E Trans AM was made famous in 1977 when Smokey and the Bandit came out. I sometimes get the two confused and may have them backwards, but I do know they are two different RPO codes though. There used to be a member on the forums that was helping Frankie out and he used the RPO code for the GTA as his screen name. I tried doing a search, but wasn't able to find anything.
Well over the long holiday 'weekend" I did a little on-line research. What I read is the Y84 is the GTA package in the third gens, but also the Y84 is the special limited "Smokey and the Bandit" addition during about the years you mentioned. I'd have to guess the option came out after the movie did in 77'.

I learn something new every day.
Old 01-02-2018   #12
DynoDave

It would be interesting to know when they started using Y84 came out as an RPO for a black car with all the gold striping. As that was a package in at least '76, a full year and model update prior to the '77 used in the movie.

All well documented in some Smokey page somewhere I'm sure.
POCI #72200
Old 01-02-2018   #13
86TA355SR

Talking Re: Vader got a facelift...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoDave View Post

All well documented in some Smokey page somewhere I'm sure.
You guys are killing me! First, the beautiful grey and flame red GTAs, then the 89 TTA, now were talking second gens! I love it though!

I love the 76, especially 455 4spd cars. Most got the 400 and it was the last year of the 455. A few even had T tops, though I could do without them. The styling was perfect, at least IMO.

Now, I love the 77/78 TAs, but the 76 just seemed to have everything 'right'...

So, I've told my wife I need a grey, flame red GTA, a low mile hard top TTA, a 76, and a 77 TA-she was impressed...haha.
86TA355SR is offline   Reply With Quote