Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 07-01-2017   #1
coconutbob

I'm in need of new tires

I've finally got my hands on a 1987 Pontiac Firebird and I couldn't be more exicited! I have painted it yellow, changed the brakes and the stop lights and now it's down to the tires! I'll be driving around the city with it and a lot on the highway. Money is definitely not an issue, I'm willing to spend as much as neccessary. I want them to look good and work good. My neighbor's a mechanic and told me about this website HolmesTire, but I don't like it and I don't want to buy something and then regret my decision. What are your thoughts?
coconutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017   #2
coconutbob

Re: I'm in need of new tires

Nobody? I really need your help...
Old 07-02-2017   #3
Firegoose

Tirerack is one of your best websites for tires.
If your going with 245/50/16, I say your best choice is the BF Goodrich Comp. It's an Ultra performance summer tire, excellent dry/wet abilities in summer weather. If you drive in more than summer seasons choose one of the performance all season tires.
With Tirerack you input your tire size (or model car) and it will give you all tires in that size.
You can also check out Discount Tire Direct, another good site.
Firegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017   #4
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.

Seems like if you're running on 16 inch rims, you're choices may be pretty limited. Would you'all agree on that? Seems like the standard size rims now are 17 and larger.

With that said, has anyone ran Nitto tires on their 3rd gen, and if so, how did they do? I've talked with a few 3rd gen Camaro owners in the past and they tell me the original tires these came with (Good Year) no longer really produce any good tires for these cars anymore. Does anyone know if that's true or not?
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017   #5
bob2002gtp
1987 GTA and 1984 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firegoose View Post
Tirerack is one of your best websites for tires.
If your going with 245/50/16, I say your best choice is the BF Goodrich Comp. It's an Ultra performance summer tire, excellent dry/wet abilities in summer weather. If you drive in more than summer seasons choose one of the performance all season tires.
With Tirerack you input your tire size (or model car) and it will give you all tires in that size.
You can also check out Discount .
Tire Direct, another good site.
Ditto that response. Put those on last year, no regrets. I drive
it to work daily. Great tire
bob2002gtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017   #6
Firegoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBlake View Post
Seems like if you're running on 16 inch rims, you're choices may be pretty limited. Would you'all agree on that? Seems like the standard size rims now are 17 and larger.

With that said, has anyone ran Nitto tires on their 3rd gen, and if so, how did they do? I've talked with a few 3rd gen Camaro owners in the past and they tell me the original tires these came with (Good Year) no longer really produce any good tires for these cars anymore. Does anyone know if that's true or not?

It is true in the 16" choices tires are limited, as said the best go to would be that BF Goodrich tire. 17's open up a few more choices, but also an expense in 17 rims. Maybe not in some people's budget or choice. As far as Nitto, they do make some nice tires. I have them on my daily driver truck and know some 4th gen guys that have them on their Fbodies and are pleased. Nitto and Toyo are under the same umbrella I believe.
Goodyear make a nice tire in the DM-V1, but not really much for applications in the 16" that would appeal here.

Last edited by Firegoose; 07-03-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-04-2017   #7
DynoDave

Tire Rack is a great resource. And, if they have the tire you want at a good price, can be a good deal. I just purchased tires for my van from them, and am quite pleased. But it only worked financially because there is a current rebate which covered the lions share of the shipping cost.

Tire Rack only carries certain brands and tire models. So look around to make sure you know what all of your options are.

I currently have Michelins, which are no longer made in our size. But in reading and searching online, I find a lot of folks who are happy with the BFG tires, but also comment that they are noisey.

Another option that Tire Rack does NOT offer in our size is the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. A lot of Corvette owners are running this tire, and are very happy with it. Just another option to consider.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/sea...ize/245-50-16/
POCI #72200
DynoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017   #8
GTABill

For whatever its worth, here are my two cents on the matter. The above mentioned sites are both good. I prefer discount tire direct over tire rack because shipping is free. True they may not carry as many brands as tire rack but that leads to another option i have been using more lately and that is amazon. If you know the size you want, plug it into amazon and they have quite a few options and some not offered elsewhere, most with free shipping. They do have quite a few "generic" brands too but if you do the research, you find out that most of the time, they are an affordable "house brand" version of a brand name company. There are also smaller companies that have been in business for quite some time that offer a very good tire as well. Case in point, I have Milestar MS932 performance tires on my Aztek and my daughter has the same tires on her Cruze. They have great wear, low highway noise for the time being, and are V-rated in case the Aztek wants to do 140+ mph (it never does lol). Bottom line, there is endless amounts of possibilities out there. Do your research and keep an open mind. Right now, I have Falken tires on the GTA and love them. I've had Hankook and now General tires on our sierra and have no complaints on either brand and they were quite a bit cheaper than comparable Goodyears, Firestones, Michelins, etc.

1991 Bright Red GTA...1st place Light Modified Class 2009 & 2014 TA Nationals
41,xxx original miles as of 4/18

Last edited by GTABill; 07-04-2017 at 11:07 AM.
GTABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017   #9
Firegoose

Use this above advise. Look around the internet for prices. Tirerack, discount tire direct, amazon, etc. As long as it's posted on the net... take that and call Summit Racing and Jegs, they do sell lots of different tires too. And they have free shipping. But the best part is they both have a beat a price guarantee. So you can get the best price then.
I did this when I bought my Nitto tires for my truck, found an obscure company selling them online and called Summit, they beat the price. Win!!
Old 07-04-2017   #10
Firegoose

Dyno Dave actually posted a link to Summit above!!
Old 07-05-2017   #11
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.

Wow, this type of stuff is good to know as it prepares me for what to expect if I do find one of these cars, though not sure if I'll find one with the stock 16 inch rims on it or not. Seeing's how these rides are going on 30 years now and pretty much most of them have been passed along the way over the years.

I should focus on finding one first though. But good to know what I'll have in store when the time comes.

Great site for such information
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017   #12
bob2002gtp
1987 GTA and 1984 TA

Quote:
Wow, this type of stuff is good to know as it prepares me for what to expect if I do find one of these cars, though not sure if I'll find one with the stock 16 inch rims on it or not. Seeing's how these rides are going on 30 years now and pretty much most of them have been passed along the way over the years.

I should focus on finding one first though. But good to know what I'll have in store when the time comes.

Great site for such information
I have stock 16 inch rims on my 1987 GTA which I drive daily in the Summer. My 1984 Trans Am has stock weeks too, but the old 15 inch. It just depends on who owned the car and how it was driven.
bob2002gtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017   #13
coconutbob

I will check the websites listed and I'll get some tires. And yes, they need to be 16 inch.
Thank you for the replies and the help everyone!
Old 07-26-2017   #14
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: Custom

Quote:

I have nitto extreme performance NT 450's on my car. They are a performance all season tire. They are grippy yet do fine in heavy rain. Eventually I removed the back tires for mickey thompson ET streets. I still have the Nitto's on the front, they are around 13 years old and have about 20k miles on them, no issues.
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
MunsonGTA is offline   Reply With Quote