Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 01-02-2017   #1
1corvetteman

new member needs help

Hi I have a 1987 Trans Am GTA that someone has put a preformance chip in. I am getting gas flooded fowled plugs. The diaphragm on the fuel rail is new. When I do get it started and on the OBC1 it has complete power failure to the computer then power returns randomly. The car doesn't die. When I shut the car off and then try starting it again it has gas fowled spark plugs. I was told by a reputable source that it needs complete stock computer. Well finding one of those has not been that ez. So I am looking for a good working STOCK computer WITH prom. If anybody can PLEASE help me find one or steer me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Or if it was possible misdiagnosed please let me know. I can be reached at 928 710 3611 or at masterblasterdobby@gmail.com. Thank you so much..HAPPY NEW YEAR
1corvetteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017   #2
Roadrunner
87 GTA 305 Auto

Re: new member needs help

You could check http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ classifieds or post in wanted section.
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017   #3
GTABill

Couple of questions........

Which brand of chip is it and is it the only chip plugged in to the computer? Only reason I ask is that a lot of the aftermarket chips were piggy back chips and if that's the case with yours you could simply just unplug the piggyback and it would leave you with the stock chip intact. Also, it amazes me how many think that any year GTA(or any car that you could get one for) are interchangeable when it come to the aftermarket chips. Have a friend with an 88 notchback with a 5.0 TPI that had an 88 5.7 TPI chip in and it ran like garbage.

I also believe you can just purchase a stock PROM if that chip is a stand alone chip and I would think that a whole computer could be found fairly easily if you end up having to go that route.

1991 Bright Red GTA...1st place Light Modified Class 2009 & 2014 TA Nationals
41,xxx original miles as of 12/16
Administrator-Missouri F-Body Association (Kansas City Area)
www.mofba.org
GTABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017   #4
1corvetteman

[QUOTE=GTABill;441288]Couple of questions........

Which brand of chip is it and is it the only chip plugged in to the computer? Only reason I ask is that a lot of the aftermarket chips were piggy back chips and if that's the case with yours you could simply just unplug the piggyback and it would leave you with the stock chip intact. Also, it amazes me how many think that any year GTA(or any car that you could get one for) are interchangeable when it come to the aftermarket chips. Have a friend with an 88 notchback with a 5.0 TPI that had an 88 5.7 TPI chip in and it ran like garbage.

I also believe you can just purchase a stock PROM if that chip is a stand alone chip and I would think that a whole computer could be found fairly easily if you end up having to go that route.

Thank you so much for your help. Im not sure what chip it is but it isnt piggied backed. I found new prom but they need programmed and the programmer I found was $400. Can you possible tell me where I can find a prom that is programmed? I am positive that not all tpi computers are interchangeable. I was told only ones with the same number will work. Not sure if it is the part number or model number. If the number is the same it doesnt matter if it is out of iroc-z, corvette, or GTA. Thats just what Ive been told

Last edited by 1corvetteman; 01-04-2017 at 02:35 AM.
Old 01-04-2017   #5
1corvetteman

thank you for the tip
Old 01-04-2017   #6
GTABill

You can always check Hawks 3rd gen's website. I know they could have something since they have parts cars. Not sure if he'll have anything that new, but Frank's Pontiac parts (He is out of California) has a website and I've heard good things about his stuff. Ebay might have someone parting something out the same year that would work, but I have always been a little reluctant about purchasing anything there. I'm sure there are other sites that could have what you need and hopefully others will chime in here as well.

1991 Bright Red GTA...1st place Light Modified Class 2009 & 2014 TA Nationals
41,xxx original miles as of 12/16
Administrator-Missouri F-Body Association (Kansas City Area)
www.mofba.org
GTABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017   #7
DynoDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTABill View Post
...but Frank's Pontiac parts (He is out of California) has a website and I've heard good things about his stuff.
I had seen ads in the POCI magazine "Smokesignals" for Franks, but had never heard form anyone that had used them. I'm glad to read that you have heard good things about them.
POCI #72200
DynoDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017   #8
merc3065

What size motor?
Auto or manual?
Year of car and TPI (does it have 9 injectors or 8?)
Pull the computer down from the dash and read off the sticker off the top of the Calpack(PROM code), AYPY for example. I can tell you if it's the right chip for your car. Also read off the part number on the computer, this will tell if its the right computer for your year of car.

If the access cover is off the computer and there's an extra circuit board sticking out you have a piggy back add on chip. If not, there's a chance it's the wrong computer and calpack for your motor.

Also losing power to the CPU will kill the engine, the injectors are pulsed off of the computer. No computer, no injector pulse. Your OBD1 reader is probably not setup to read at 4800 baud or in proper ALDL mode.

Also just noticed you said 87...the 87 CPU is known to lose ALDL signal. It was not designed for anything other than the factory line data logger. 86 is $32, 87 is $32B, 88 and 89 is 165, 90-92 is 730.

Last edited by merc3065; 01-10-2017 at 12:25 AM.
merc3065 is offline   Reply With Quote