Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 11-15-2016   #1
Darthscooby1001
Darthscooby1001

GTA Year: 1989
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Torque Converter Rattle / More Power

Hi guys,

This post is in two parts. First part is a loud rattling noise I am hearing from the vicinity of my transmission. Best guess is that it is the torque converter. The rattle is terrible when you first start the car especially if it is cold. Embarrassingly it has done this for some time, I had headers fitted late 2014 (thank you the guys that recommended them) and assumed the welder that placed the exhaust too close to the body and it was just knocking as it warmed up. This is definitely not the case and the rattle has gotten a lot worse over time. Anyway, could it be the torque converter? Is it a known fault? Over this winter when my car is off the road I am having the trans out. That will get a good service/rebuilt etc. but now considering pulling the motor out as well and cleaning up the engine bay.

This leads me to my second part. If I have the motor out and have a little money to spend what recommendation would you have for some extra power? I have previously looked and came up with the following:

Edelbrock Super Victor EFI Intake Manifolds 29135.
AFR 190cc Vortec Eliminator Street Cylinder Heads 0912.
Lingenfelter Performance Engineering L210085297 Camshafts.

These might not be the precise items I need but thatís why I am asking. I am not looking for an LS swap and want to keep my original motor. It is good after all. So I welcome advice and suggestions (other than LS swap).

Thank you
Darthscooby1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016   #2
DynoDave

Re: Torque Converter Rattle / More Power

I'd check to see if the rattle is coming from the catalytic converter. It could be breaking apart inside, creating that noise.
POCI #72200
DynoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016   #3
89-5.7GTA
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoDave View Post
I'd check to see if the rattle is coming from the catalytic converter. It could be breaking apart inside, creating that noise.
Ditto that. I had a rattle and it was difficult to tell where it was coming from until I had the car running on a lift. I had one bad cat replaced. This year the other one began to rattle and was replaced. Both were original. It sounded like rocks inside of a clothes dryer.
89-5.7GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016   #4
Darthscooby1001
Darthscooby1001

Thank you guys. I will look at the cat though it was new 3 years ago and the sound appears to be coming further forward.
Darthscooby1001 is offline   Reply With Quote