Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA MISC

GTA MISC What you're looking to find out about your GTA doesn't fit in the above categories? Then post your topic HERE!

Old 08-01-2016   #1
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.

item prices

Hi all,

For a few months now as most of you know, I've been looking into getting a third gen Pontiac. Haven't had great luck but being on this forum and the third gen forum, I've learned quite a bit about these cars. One thing that hasn't really been talked about here, or if it has I've missed it, is the prices that some are asking for parts on line. Cup holders, map pockets, third brake light, leather gear shift knob, etc. asking hundreds of dollars for them. IMO if those items are worth that much, wouldn't these cars be worth tens of thousands complete? Pretty expensive stuff. Prices for parts on even older Corvettes cost that much. Anyone else notice this too? Would you say these prices are on par with these cars?

BTW, last Saturday night I was driving down the freeway at around 11pm and a mint condition dark burgundy GTA past me up. I was tired and just left the bar so I didn't want to speed up to catch it, in case CHP was around. That's all I need is a field sobriety But that GTA was awesome. Had to be going about 80mph too. Hope I run across it again during the day so I can get a better look at it.
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016   #2
DynoDave

Re: item prices

I think most of the stupid high parts prices are to be found on eBay. And that's true of any year, make or model of automobile.

That said there are a few harder to find parts that do pull in good money. With no good quality repros, good originals of these parts draw some serious cash.

There are a few guys who parts them and ask for crazy parts money, others are much more reasonable. I've found what I think are some great deals form the for sale section on TGO.
POCI #72200
DynoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #3
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.

Re: item prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoDave View Post
I think most of the stupid high parts prices are to be found on eBay. And that's true of any year, make or model of automobile.

That said there are a few harder to find parts that do pull in good money. With no good quality repros, good originals of these parts draw some serious cash.

There are a few guys who parts them and ask for crazy parts money, others are much more reasonable. I've found what I think are some great deals form the for sale section on TGO.
I'm starting to rethink my strategy a bit now because of this. Seems if I get a project that's going to require lots of parts to be purchased, it may be cheaper in the long run to spend a little more on a car that's complete or closer to being complete than buying a cheaper one that's going to require more parts to be purchased. Some of the asking prices of various parts are really pretty high. Does surprise me but for those who already have these cars, it's good to see your cars value going up. From what I'm seeing, a decent/nice complete third gen sells anywhere from 8K to 10K these days. Of course I'm referring to ones that have clean titles & history and with most, if not all components in good working order. I've seen a few with asking prices between 4K to 6K but these ones seem to have a few issues such as salvaged titles, accidents in history, mismatch items such as 4th gen seats in a 3rd gen car, and modifications such as smog removed, after market items, etc.

Would you say what I'm saying I've come across while looking for a third gen is about right or am I off? 8k to 10k for a nice third gen without modifications and everything working with nothing missing? 4K to 6K for third gens on average that have title issues, accidents in history, a number of modifications and aftermarket items installed?

Last edited by JonBlake; 08-03-2016 at 12:11 PM.
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote