Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Old 06-12-2016   #1
aseyc

Still unsure if its a T/A or GTA

Hi,

I am currently removing all the interior carpets to make sure car is in good condition as I intend to keep it for very long. I am very satisfied the only surface rust is drivers side around the small metal door where probably water seeped through and rusted. Nothing serious though. The rest is incredibly perfect.

So I do not have SPI labels and as we know the VIN wont say much. I found two job cards under the factory carpet which I am pasting below. Everything matches what I actually have.

I have a Digital Dash (1988), GTA map pocket, gold wheels, Ultima Seats, 5.7L Auto. All that doesn't match are the vents on the front fenders (which might have been replaced especially due to the fact they are not lined up 100%) and the rear spoiler which is not an aero wing (again might have been changed as according to the Job card it should be aero wing). Also a big question is the fact that I have the bottom spray colour in the car is grey with the GFX grey also. Don't think GTAs came like this no?

Anyway I welcome both TransAM and GTA. Its more about me wanting to know the reality. I cannot see the Y84 code either but from the Job Sheet I can see G T/A under Special options. Needless to say the VIN decoders also say its a GTA but I think they will say so even on a standard TransAm. Let me know what you think pls.

aseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016   #2
aseyc

Re: Still unsure if its a T/A or GTA

No one got any views on this?
Old 06-30-2016   #3
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.

I don't know anything about what that card and what is on it is all about but one thing you mentioned is that the fenders don't seem to line up. To me that would indicate that most likely they were replacements put on the car for whatever reason (crash, replacement to the rusted or damaged original ones, etc.). Same with the hatchback/spoiler.
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016   #4
aseyc

I can surely understand the fenders being replaced for a reason or another.

What I am not sure is if it is a genuine gta or a high specced trans am.

It would be nice to know exactly what is the car about.
Old 07-01-2016   #5
89-5.7GTA
Tony

GTA Year: 1989
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

The aero wing requires fasteners that attach to the frame of the rear hatch window. Are there remnants of these fasteners? It would be difficult to remove them without a trace if the aero was converted to the plain wing. I can't help you with that tag either, and I've never had my carpet out so I don't have one to compare (or know if I even have one).
89-5.7GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016   #6
aseyc

I am sure that the whole rear hatch was replaced for 2 reasons. There are no remnants of the clips although one of those rpo codes shows the aero wing option and 2. I think the hatch that I have came from a camaro as there are a lot of blanked holes on the edge of the decklid which hint a camaro spoiler install.
Old 07-01-2016   #7
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseyc View Post
I am sure that the whole rear hatch was replaced for 2 reasons. There are no remnants of the clips although one of those rpo codes shows the aero wing option and 2. I think the hatch that I have came from a camaro as there are a lot of blanked holes on the edge of the decklid which hint a camaro spoiler install.
Could also mean that the rear glass was changed out and when they did that, they also changed out the frame that went around the glass with that of a non-GTA specific spoiler but kept the metal deck lid part. Hard to say anymore with these cars since they are all over 25 years old and the vast majority of them have had multiple owners over the life span of the car.

Last edited by JonBlake; 07-01-2016 at 12:16 PM.
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016   #8
aseyc

So true.
Old 07-03-2016   #9
Roadrunner
87 GTA 305 Auto

Sounds like you have a lot of questionable issues.

I had a difficult time authenticating mine http://www.gtasourcepage.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=52195
I got very close to confirming but not 100%
I was curious enough to pay the money for this http://www.phs-online.com/order.htm
They had info but it was messed up when they scanned the document (they didn't charge me because of this).
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016   #10
aseyc

I went through all the authentication pages. Still not 100%. I am at a stage where it is either a T/A with full options like a GTA or a GTA.

Was going to go through the PHS site but currently every penny counts so I will perhaps postpone for a later time.