Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 05-25-2016   #1
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.

Dash question

Hey Ya'll. Well I came across an 87' Pontiac yesterday. I was boarding for a few hours and in a guys garage along the way I see a fire engine red third gen sitting in there with tons of boxes and stuff on top of it. The owner was out in the yard doing something so I took that opportunity to stop and ask about it. He's telling me that it was his project car some years ago. It's not run in years he says, bout 15 to be exact. No rust but does have a lot of sun damage from years past when it was out on the street being used. It's a hard top so that's a plus. But the interior is shot and he took the original dash out because he said he had planned to convert to digital. He's no longer got the analog dash parts because from what he said, he sold those to pay for the digital dash he's got sitting in the rear section of the car.

My questions are: how much would you expect to pay for a car in this condition? How hard would it be to install the digital dash he's got in the back of the car now, and/or how hard would it be to get an original analog dash to put back inside? BTW, he has no idea how the wiring harness fits all back and thinks there may be some stuff missing such as components and wires. I took a good look at it and he or whoever it was just cut wires at the harness, no connectors what so ever.
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016   #2
merc3065

Re: Dash question

Super easy to put it back to the analog gauges.

Somewhat complicated and difficult to replace the gauges with the digital set because the wire harness is different between the 2.

If you're saying that the original harness has been cut...bleh...It's a pain in the ass to fix.
Old 05-27-2016   #3
JonBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc3065 View Post
Super easy to put it back to the analog gauges.

Somewhat complicated and difficult to replace the gauges with the digital set because the wire harness is different between the 2.

If you're saying that the original harness has been cut...bleh...It's a pain in the ass to fix.
Thanks for the feedback. Good to know that it's not difficult to put the analog back in but not so much the digital. Where would I find a decent complete analog dash and how much would you say it would cost? I'm covering all bases in the event that I would purchase this car from the guy. The guy mentioned that It had been hit on the front and driver side before he purchased it from the previous owner and I could see overspray on a lot of things, especially the stickers in the drivers side door jam.

And yes, all the wires are cut right at the harness. No connectors to anything are there and no labeling as to what wires are for. I may head back over that way over the weekend and see if he's out in the yard again. I'd like to ask more questions about it, especially if it's got a "salvaged" title. I'd also like to take a closer look at the engine.

He said it hasn't run for 15 years so I'm concerned about corrosion/deterioration in the oil, fuel, and water. I'm also curious how smog testing is going to be on this car since it's not been running for that time plus registration issues. In Cali the seller is responsible for getting the car to pass smog before the title can be transferred over to the new owner. Not sure how this will play out in this situation since the car hasn't been running for many years and probably not been registered for the same amount of time. I'll have to look at the rear plate to see when the last year it was registered.

Last edited by JonBlake; 05-27-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-31-2016   #4
merc3065

You would have to find the C100 wire harness, that plugs in from the firewall to the interior. I don't know what it would cost for the complete harness and the dash gauges.

If you can get a complete digital dash in the same way, it's just a matter of switching the wire harnesses complete.

Splicing and modifying an analog harness to fit the digital is very difficult as the wire colours are different for some of the key items.

The digital dash also has a bunch of extra connectors that the analog didn't.

Personally I would avoid accident cars unless you are confident you know what you are getting into. They are a lot of money and effort to repair.
Old 05-31-2016   #5
JonBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc3065 View Post
You would have to find the C100 wire harness, that plugs in from the firewall to the interior. I don't know what it would cost for the complete harness and the dash gauges.

If you can get a complete digital dash in the same way, it's just a matter of switching the wire harnesses complete.

Splicing and modifying an analog harness to fit the digital is very difficult as the wire colours are different for some of the key items.

The digital dash also has a bunch of extra connectors that the analog didn't.

Personally I would avoid accident cars unless you are confident you know what you are getting into. They are a lot of money and effort to repair.
Thanks Merc for the information. Seems like his conversion idea is a ton of work more then perhaps he even thought and could very well be why he's not completed it for years. Looks like the easiest way to deal with it if I was going to take it on and buy her is to return it to the analog dash. But he's not got that one anymore. He's got the digital but says some things are missing and incomplete.

How much should an analog dash cost in the event I can locate one for sale?
Old 06-03-2016   #6
JonBlake

Well the guy seems to be wishy washy about the car now. I met up with him again at his house and asking him how much he'd be willing to sell it, he says maybe 6K or 8K. But I can hear hesitation in the tone of his voice. Interesting because the day I initially stopped off and was checking it out, he mentioned that he thought it was worth around 3K to 4K.

This time when he threw out the 6K to 8K figure, he also added that he may not want to sell it just yet though. Like I'd have to twist his arm a bit along with the 6K to 8K. Thinking maybe he got on line and thinks he could sell it for more cause other cars are selling for that price. But the difference is, the cars selling for 6K to 8K are running and decent. Kind of sucks but that's how it goes I guess. I'm probably going to pass on this one cause right now he's saying 6/8K but you know once you produce something around that amount, he'll probably say 9 or 10K.

Hind sight 20/20 the guy probably doesn't want to let it go unless he makes big money off it. But in the meantime, he has no ambitions to put labor and money into it himself. It's probably going to just sit in his garage for another 10 or so years and collect dust.

Oh well, I can keep looking.
Old 06-06-2016   #7
86TA355SR

Finding all those little parts will drive you nuts. Far more of a project than planned.

The way it sounds, he'll be lucky to get $1,000 for it. He's dreaming at $3-4K....let alone $6-8K....
86TA355SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016   #8
JonBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TA355SR View Post
Finding all those little parts will drive you nuts. Far more of a project than planned.

The way it sounds, he'll be lucky to get $1,000 for it. He's dreaming at $3-4K....let alone $6-8K....
Yeah I hear ya. I'm willing to bet he's gone through this with others before and that's why he's still got the car. Sad that it's just sitting in his garage with stuff stacked up all over it though. I'm just curious what condition the inside of the engine, tranny, brakes, fuel and diff is in since it's just been sitting for what he's said since Y2K or right abouts. Realistically he's got some good parts there I'm sure. But like you said, not for the amount he seems to be interested in.
Old 06-08-2016   #9
86TA355SR

Well, I had to let a GTA sit for 8 yrs....

It took a lot to get it roadworthy again. I do stuff right the first time though.

All new fluids /filters, hoses/belt, injectors (seized), valve springs/seals, & brake hoses were just a few items it needed. Add the other obvious stuff-ignition, battery, and the list is long but boring...

Also put on new tires. I don't drive on 15 yr old rubber.

It was a great winter project!
Old 06-09-2016   #10
JonBlake

Quote:
Well, I had to let a GTA sit for 8 yrs....

It took a lot to get it roadworthy again. I do stuff right the first time though.

All new fluids /filters, hoses/belt, injectors (seized), valve springs/seals, & brake hoses were just a few items it needed. Add the other obvious stuff-ignition, battery, and the list is long but boring...

Also put on new tires. I don't drive on 15 yr old rubber.

It was a great winter project!
Sounds like you had one busy winter on your hands. 8 years is quite a bit of time. The guy I'm dealing with has a car that's not run nearly twice as long. Plus I don't know how the car was running before that or if it was running bad or barely running at all back then.

I think the wise thing for me to do is only show interest in a car that's actually running vs just sitting disassembled and not running.

It would suck big time if I purchase one of these cars not running and after putting lots of time and money into it then find out it has a major issue which calls for a replacement motor. Unless of course I happen to purchase one for a price that corresponds with it needing a new engine in the first place. I can't see spending over 4K on a non running car with unknowns about engine condition, let alone tranny, fuel system, brake system and differential condition.

The search continues.......
Old 06-09-2016   #11
86TA355SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBlake View Post

I think the wise thing for me to do is only show interest in a car that's actually running vs just sitting disassembled and not running.

You'll thank yourself later!
Old 06-16-2016   #12
JonBlake

Quote:
You'll thank yourself later!
I'll thank you guys as well for clueing me in on the deal with it. The other day I ran across a third gen vert parked in a driveway. Looks like it's been there a while without being moved. Wish a for sale sign was in the window. I do want a hard top though but for the right price (cheap) I could possibly consider broadening my search requirements. I'll just keep plugging along in the meantime.