Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA CLASSIFIEDS > GTA PARTS WANTED

GTA PARTS WANTED Looking for just the right part(s) out there to restore your GTA to its former glory? Whatever you need to find.... post your listing HERE!

Old 07-15-2010   #1
NYFBodyfan
My Eleanor

'89 Factory Service Manual

I have looked on E-Bay and found some pretty wild prices for the factory GM Service Manuals for my '89 GTA. I am wondering if anyone on here might have a complete Factory Service Manual for the '89 model year they would be willing to part with.
Hey, it's worth a shot....

Bri

NYFBodyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010   #2
merc3065

Re: '89 Factory Service Manual

I have an e-book that I purchased for an 88, if I can find the link, i will post it.
You can also search the web and "may" find free versions of the PDF E-book if you are good at searching for that kinda stuff.

Just be careful when searching is all.
Old 07-15-2010   #3
Fourthkid

I have a 1989 GM Firebird service manual that is mostly intact [pages 1A-7 through 10-10-6]I will trade straight up including shipping for a NOS hood insulator meant for a 1987 TransAm GTA. Not interested in a repro part
Fourthkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010   #4
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

I saw one on ebay a few hours ago, but it looks like someone purchased it. It came with a Haynes repair book also. I think the buy it now price was $79.00. I saw another one with just the GM service manual and it was $69.00 buy it now price. Funny how they are now both gone so soon. I guess someone will resell them for more. Maybe they will advertize it for sale on this site for twice as much as they bought it for on e-bay. My advice is to just be patient and keep looking for it on ebay.

About the original hood insulation proposition, shipping is the only problem with that idea. To ship a hood insulation will cost about $150.00 if it is shipped flat in shape. I know about this because a few years ago there was one for sale on ebay and I wanted it, but shipping was too much. The post office was more expensive then the UPS. I asked UPS about it because the seller had provided me with the weight and measurements of it. It was still in the original GM cardboard. UPS told me it would cost $150.00 to ship it by them. It is probably much more cheaper if it is folded, but if you fold the factory insulations, they get damaged because of being folded. If you do a trade, make sure that you can pick up the insulation in person so it does not have to be shipped. That way it is much cheaper and it will not be damaged because the person folded it to make it smaller to make the shipping price cheaper.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 07-15-2010 at 10:20 PM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010   #5
Fourthkid

Most folks from New York City and Long Island believe that where I live is "Upstate", so I might not that far away from NYFBodyFan. Meeting halfway is a possibility, but let's see whether the swap is doable.
Fourthkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #6
Rodimus_Prime

i just snagged one for a TTA which is quite rare in itself for 34 bucks, being your looking for a regular one you should be able to find a similar deal

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82
2007 Cobalt SS G85, Harrop 1320LSJ 75MM, 298hp 254tq
Rodimus_Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010   #7
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

I was one of the people that forked over the $100 for a reproduced brand new GM factory service manual for my 91 GTA from Helm Inc. It was the best $100 I ever spent on the car.

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010   #8
YumikoGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred91GTA View Post
I was one of the people that forked over the $100 for a reproduced brand new GM factory service manual for my 91 GTA from Helm Inc. It was the best $100 I ever spent on the car.
How can you tell the difference between the one that is reproduced brand new GM factory service manual and the original one?

I ask because I have a friend who works at GM and he gave a brand new GM factory service manual to me as a gift some years ago. I still have it but I would like to see what the differences between the two service manuals would be, for my own personal information about this item.

Yumiko
Old 07-23-2010   #9
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

No difference as far as I can tell, The Helm reproductions are supposed to replicate the factory manuals completely. I could be wrong though, I've never had a factory service manual.

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010   #10
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

I am currently downloading a torrent of a 1987-1989 service manual. Says its 1825 pages. You need to download a torrent program like U torrent which is what I use. When its done downloading I will check it out and make sure its what it says it is. If all is legit, than I will post the link and help anyone who needs help getting it working...

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
BigBadGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010   #11
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

Yup it is as described, a strait scan of the 1988 service manual... all 1825 pages...

http://www.kickasstorrents.com/1988-pontiac-firebird-service-manual-px-t3134743.html

In order to download you need you have a torrent program

I use U torrent

then of course you need to have Adobe PDF reader

if you guys need any help just ask ill help you out

I took a screen shot of it open on my PC...

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 07-23-2010   #12
YumikoGTA

That is pretty interesting, such a difference I guess because of the years of the manual. I have the 1987 GM Service Manual. Here are some photographs that I took of it so you can see how thick it is and how the outside cover is designed.

I have no idea how many pages it is, they did not number them from 1 to the end. The pages are very thin so I would imagine that there are a lot of pages, since it is almost two inches thick. I do not think I would ever want to count them to find out.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 07-23-2010 at 10:16 PM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010   #13
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

Yeah, the guy actually scanned every page of the 88 manual and put it in pdf format. I wonder how long it took to scan 1825 pages... probably did a little bit every day for like a year lol.. I was looking though it for about an hour today and I found some very interesting stuff I can use in the future. I am very glad I found this manual for free online! its alot better than the haynes manual I paid 25 bucks for!

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 07-24-2010   #14
GTA50

The copyright issue is the only thing to be aware of. This has come up on TGO. As far as posting the info on this site, Frankie and Y84 can give some additional advice.

Gary.
GTA50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010   #15
YumikoGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadGTA View Post
Yeah, the guy actually scanned every page of the 88 manual and put it in pdf format. I wonder how long it took to scan 1825 pages... probably did a little bit every day for like a year lol.. I was looking though it for about an hour today and I found some very interesting stuff I can use in the future. I am very glad I found this manual for free online! its alot better than the haynes manual I paid 25 bucks for!
Haynes Manual?......no comparison at all. I have that manual also, it was the first one that I purchased I think in 1995. Not good because they have just general information about the general Firebird from the years of 1982 to 1992. They base that book on taking apart a Firebird. The GM Service Manual is based on specific year of the car and much more data and documentation is in it from their knowledge base from designing and building the car, not by taking one apart like other manuals are based on.

Yumiko
Old 06-05-2016   #16
Geo
Firehawk

GTA Engine: 305 TPI 5-Speed Manual

I have one I bought in 1990, not a reprint. Original mint condition, no rips of grease marks. I was told by a classic car literature company that they are going for $275 Canadian if ordered currently from GM. My question, is there a difference between the 88 and 89 book ??? seriously??? because they sell the 1988 for $90 Canadian....????
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote